Problem with new extension system

Mat7401
Mat7401 Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2021 in F-Secure Internet Security

Hello everybody

I use F Secure with my mac book pro.

Since last apple upgrade version, i have a problem with my F-Secure Safe. Indeed, F-Secure ask me to authorize the new extension but I do not find this extension in my mac book.

Have you got the same problem ? What did you do to solve this ?

Many thanks

Mathieu

Accepted Answers

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 235 F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi, @Sib!

Most of such issues indicate macOS failing to activate SAFE kernel extensions. In most of such cases, it is caused by misconfiguration of the system tools used for loading 3rd party extensions. We can run a couple of commands in the Terminal app to identify what the issue is exactly. Could you please run the commands below in Terminal and share the output? Terminal will prompt for administrator password, please enter it upon the request.

sudo kextutil -tn /Library/F-Secure/Extensions/fsauth.kext
    sudo kextutil -tn /Library/F-Secure/Extensions/XFENCE.kext

Thanks!

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• ArthurVal
    Answer ✓

That indeed looks very familiar. I remember seeing similar faults in reports from other customers previously.

Unfortunately, the fix for this issue cannot be automated from SAFE side as the solution targets SIP protected locations on disk. But we can try to address this issue manually from Recovery Mode.

So, let's try the steps below that helped in this situation in the past.

1. Boot into Recovery Mode by holding down Command(⌘)-R during boot.
    2. From the top line of options, select Utilities -> Terminal.
    3. Run the following command: chflags -R restricted "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement"
    Note: the volume name may differ if it was changed from the default name of "Macintosh HD".You might have to adjust the path above accordingly. 
    4. Restart your computer.

Please let me know if the issue still persists after following the steps above. Thanks!

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

Answers

• ArthurVal
    edited October 2020

Hello, @Mat7401

Could you please share which macOS version you are using? You can see the macOS version if you click on the Apple logo on top left and select "About This Mac" (for example, it says "10.15.7" for me).

And also which SAFE version you are using at the moment? You can see the SAFE version if you click on SAFE icon in the menubar (for example, it says "17.9 (35210)" for me). Thanks.

Best regards, Arthur

SAFE Mac R&D Team

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• Sib
    Sib Posts: 4 Observer

Having the same issue.

OSX 10.14.6 (18G7016)

MacBookPro11,5

SAFE: Version 17.10 (36018)

Added both Support Tool and F-Secure SAFE to:

1. Systems >Security & Privacy >Accessibility + full disk access

Systems >Security & Privacy >Firewall does not show the SAFE tool

Does not help

• Sib

only csrutil disable helps, but that is not the preferred way of working.

• Sib

MacBookPro:~ Sib$ sudo kextutil -tn /Library/F-Secure/Extensions/fsauth.kext

Password:

Error making temporary directory: 1

Memory allocation failure.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/cdc_ecm_qmi.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/lgandroid_mdmdata.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/SierraSwitch.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/lgandroid_ndiscontrol.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ZTEUSBCDCACMData_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NovatelWirelessUSBCDCECMData.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/Option72.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/cdc.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/MacOSXCameraDriver.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/Vodafone.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/Vodafone.kext/Contents/Plugins/VodafoneData.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/MissingSyncSymbian.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMHuaweiPhonesVTPCDC_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMHuaweiPhonesVTPCDC_106.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NMUSBCDCACMControl_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMHuaweiPhonesVTPCDC_106.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NMUSBCDCACMData_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMHuaweiPhonesVTPCDC.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMHuaweiPhonesVTPCDC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NMUSBCDCACMDataVTP.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/lgandroid_mdmcontrol.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/lgandroid_ndisdata.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMSmartplugSCSIDevice_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ATITVOut.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMSmartplugSCSIDevice.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/RoxioBluRaySupport.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMSamsungDriver_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMSamsungDriver_106.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NMUSBCDCACMControl_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMSamsungDriver_106.kext/Contents/PlugIns/NMUSBCDCACMData_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/OptionHS.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/NMSierraWireless.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/lgandroid_usbbus.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUsbSerial.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/System/Library/Extensions/ZTEUSBMassStorageFilter_106.kext) to secure location.

Unable to stage kext (/Library/F-Secure/Extensions/fsauth.kext) to secure location.

• Sib

Great Arthur, it worked well!

I will apply it to the MacPro also which has exactly the same issue.

Had this issue for 2 months now, happy it is solved...

• ArthurVal

Great! Sure, always happy to help :)

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• deniscox32
    deniscox32 Posts: 1 New Member

Thanks for the advice because I found this problem when I tried to install two operating systems on my MacBook.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info