FS Protection PC 17.9 releases

Urmas
Urmas Posts: 65 F-Secure Employee

FS Protection PC 17.9 beta releases will be posted under this thread.

Answers

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Mine updated without a glitch last night. 🙂

• Urmas

Release 17.9 beta 1 (4.40.860):

New features:

• New Event history window. This dialog now has the similar look and feel with App and file control, and it is run as a separate process, thus the product will be consuming less memory while the Event history window is not open.
    • Custom proxy address now supports authenticated proxies.

Fixed issues:

• Scan Wizard crashes if you clear the event history with the "scan started" event (PBL-6715)

Release 17.9 beta 2 (4.40.1506):

New features:

• Scan report style updated to match product style (not for scheduled scan yet)

Fixed issues:

• Category icons are not shown in French, French-Can, Italian (PBL-6844)
    • SAFE_BUG-03058: Broken blockpage view after opening certain URL (PBL-6810)
    • SAFE_BUG-03057: Fresh 'Recent events' not opening from Statistics splash screen (PBL-6804)
    • SAFE_BUG-03056: Clicking Hyperlink in Statistics has no effect (PBL-6803)
    • SAFE_BUG-03055: Report of another user does not open (PBL-6800)
    • Chrome extension check not working if Chrome installed under user's folder (PBL-6790)
    • Not possible to accept changed EULT (PBL-6774)
    • Event history does not open from OAS, WTS and AMSI malware notifications (PBL-6773)
    • Lock symbol broken in settings (PBL-6769)
    • Website with "www" not removed from the denied list when allowed (PBL-6728)
    • Non-working 'View report' link in Event history dialog (PBL-6700)
    • View report/description online link does not open from the Event history if you navigate with the keyboard (PBL-6791)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Release 17.9 beta 3 (4.40.1961):

New features:

• Rewritten fsscan.exe (the command line and scheduled scanner). Scan reports are now identical with reports created by scan wizard.
    • Added support for DuckDuckGo search engine (PBL-7035)

Fixed issues:

• Various cosmetic and functional issues with Events history view (PBL-6806, PBL-6793, PBL-6879, PBL-6831, PBL-6801)
    • PBL-6659 In Scan wizard, the description text on the "restart needed to clean malware" window is not fully visible is some languages
    • PBL-6861 Harmful file's location may be missing from the scan report after a quick scan

• Urmas

Please note that currently, Windows Security reports fs protection state as "Snoozed", although the product is running normally. This is caused by a bug in a recent Ultralight Core update and we are working on a fix.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Please note that currently, Windows Security reports fs protection state as "Snoozed", although the product is running normally. This is caused by a bug in a recent Ultralight Core update and we are working on a fix.

I was about to make a report since received first Ultralight Core update (but was not sure if it was only pinned to my system). And can to write that right after receiving second 'fixed' Ultralight Core update - Windows Security reports that all is fine. All is OK after that.

• Urmas

Yes, looks like this issue has been resolved now with yesterday's new Ultralight Core update.

Release 17.9 beta 4 (4.40.2309):

New features:

• New Banking Protection notification. This dialog has been rewritten and now better handles large resolutions.
    • App and file control dialog (excluded items, quarantine) now allows you to select multiple items and perform operations to them.

Fixed issues:

• Various cosmetic issues

• Filipe_Reis
    Filipe_Reis Posts: 6 New Member

Hello,

I´m new here at F-secure. I purchased a license. I would like to try the beta version. Can i test and where can i download the beta?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

• Urmas

You can apply for the beta program at https://beta.f-secure.com/welcome/.

• Candi1
    Candi1 Posts: 58 Active Engager

Whenever there is an update(Windows), I keep getting a notification that my security protection isn't active, to activate it. But when I go into my security, it says everything is working correctly. I'm not sure if there's a glitch since windows security is turned off, because I have the F-Secure. But every time I get the notification, I go in to check to be sure. But everything is working correctly. Just not sure why I keep getting the notifications saying my security isn't active or on.

• Candi1

I like the new Banking Protection activation box at the top of the screen, that its smaller & doesn't cover much, unlike the old one that would cover things at the top of the screen.

• Candi1
    edited September 2020

I'm not sure why I get a notification(windows) when there's been a security update that says my security isn't turned on. It says to go in & turn security on. So I go into my security but then it says everything is working fine. I'm not sure if its a little glitch since "window's security" isn't on, because I have F-Secure instead? But when I go in it says everything is working fine.

Hi,

Whenever the scanning core updates, it has to shut down for a moment and Windows will notify you that protection isn't active. It's a bit annoying that Windows doesn't allow us to say that we're just updating, no need to make user worried if it takes less than 5 seconds. In any case, this happens when you receive F-Secure Ultralight Core package, which you can see in Settings / Updates view.

• Candi1

Oh ok. Thank you Ville! I had a feeling something like that was happening, so I wasn't to worried. But I thought I'd mention it. Thank you very much!!! 😀

• Urmas
    edited September 2020

Release 17.9 beta 5 (4.40.2634):

New features:

• Scheduled scanning logic was modified, duplicate entries for same infections should not happen any more
    • The file scanning phase in Scan wizard is now shown with green color instead of yellow (PBL-7099)
    • Settings / Support page has an option to turn on debug logging
    • Banking Protection notification is now shown on every monitor (PBL-7109)

Fixed issues:

• SAFE_BUG-03093: Scanning report shows placeholder for more than 100 not scanned items (PBL-7083)
    • Scan Wizard freezes on large collection (30000+) (PBL-6837)
    • Product does not fully uninstall if it was uninstalled and upgraded before (PBL-7053)
    • "am/pm" is shown in Windows 10 if 24 format is chosen (PBL-7119)
  • Ukko

Hello,

Thanks for the release!

But it looks like the UpdateMessage page has lost its style! And being without background picture - page is pretty lonesome. :( While the rest of the embellishments were pretty, the current look (but with the background picture) would be cool too. But, perhaps, this is only beta matter. :)

Hi @Ukko

The changes in update message style are intentional and will go to next production release.

• Ukko

Hello,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it was somewhat clear that changes are intentional since of significant edits to match such a background. But with no background .. it's so lonely. Mainly when page is opened under browser (and not under current design of "Recent Events" opening). However, I think that with more lines and texts - can be quite smooth and nice (what can be with production release). All in all, a fairly themed color scheme is good even without pictures.. :)

Thanks!

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Our production version has not had a background image for a long time. It was used only in the beta.

-Cale

• Candi1
    edited September 2020

When going into a banking site the banking protection activates & I like that it shrinks down to a little box, so its not in the way. But when you leave the banking site(signing out & closing out the tab), the banking protection doesn't stop or "end" any more. I have to manually go to the little box & it enlarges some, then I have to click "end". The banking protection used to end on its own when you closed out of the banking tab. Are we supposed to manually close it out now? Or is it still supposed to stop/end on its own? Thanks!

• Urmas

Hello,

Banking protection has some built-in logic for determining the ending of the user's banking session, resulting in automatic ending of the banking protection session. It is, however, limited, and does not guarantee that the banking protection session is automatically terminated always.

For example, When the user logs out from the bank, a specific "log off" page is used. Banking protection tracks using of this "log off" page and then closes the session automatically, but this only works for a small number of known "log off" pages of specific banks, i.e. it is not universal.

The only guaranteed ways to close the banking protection session are to end the session from the flyer, or to completely close the web browser being used for the banking session.

• Candi1

Thank you Urmas!

Did this change when they changed the "flyer" box at the top of the screen? The Banking Protection used to "end" on its own before(when the bigger box activated at the top of the screen), once I closed out of the banking tab. But now with the smaller "flyer" box, it doesn't "end" when closing out of the banking tab. Its not really a problem to go up & manually "end" it. I was just curious since it "ended" before on its own. But now it doesn't.

Thank you again!

• Urmas
    edited September 2020

Hello,

No, we have not changed the banking session closing logic. If it appears to have changed for you, please make a bug report with details. It it significant which banking site you used, which browser you used, and and if you had multiple browser windows and tabs open. We can then attempt to reproduce this with both old and new versions. But just closing the tab with the banking page was not enough to close the banking session before.

BR, Urmas

• Candi1

Ok, thank you very much Urmas. I will try it a few more times & take note of what I'm using & how it reacts. & if it continues, I will make a bug report. Thank you very much again!

• Ukko

Our production version has not had a background image for a long time. It was used only in the beta.

I think I only found it once. And, yes, it was without a background picture.

Did this change when they changed the "flyer" box at the top of the screen? The Banking Protection used to "end" on its own before(when the bigger box activated at the top of the screen), once I closed out of the banking tab. But now with the smaller "flyer" box, it doesn't "end" when closing out of the banking tab. Its not really a problem to go up & manually "end" it. I was just curious since it "ended" before on its own. But now it doesn't.

Perhaps, depends on browser in use. For example, my experience with Internet Explorer 11 still as it was before. And, maybe, even a bit faster (right after tab is closed). However, with Internet Explorer 11 there was another 'trouble' (maybe logical) - BP is dropped even if I did not close a tab (re-group them or close another unrelated tab or something else); or if I decided to close one (first) tab even if second tab also with banking website. So, during banking session I may encounter multiple activations of Banking Protection. But not so often and 'stable' to be a real trouble.

• Urmas

Release 17.9 beta 6 (4.40.2908):

New features:

• USB drive scan: when a USB drive is inserted, a notification will be shown, allowing the user to scan it with a click of a button. These notifications can be disabled from Scanning settings. In non-English installations, the notification texts are not readable, this will be fixed in the next release (also the setting description is not translated yet).

Fixed issues:

• Settings "product support" text changed to "customer support" (PBL-7177)
    • New banking frame prevents taskbar access (PBL-7174)
    • Scan looks hanged when scan completed very fast (PBL-7171)
    • Banking protection green frame now show also for a 2nd display during the banking session (PBL-7160)
  • martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Mine updated without me even noticing it.

New feature is that with Firefox portable the Banking protection pop up stays open when you go to the Nordea site. In beta 5 it closed automatically after a short time.

It stays open when you log out or if you have not logged in at all and close the tab.

Does not happen with Brave.

• Urmas

Hello,

We indeed changed the banking popup logic in beta 6 so that for the first three times, it is not automatically hidden, so that the users will have some chances to become familiar with it. After that, it will be hidden automatically.

BR, Urmas