FS Protection PC 17.7 releases

2»

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I certainly hadn't noticed.  Thank goodness it wasn't put to the test!

Hi,

17.7 has been released to production. Thanks for testing it. We are now working for 17.8 release, you can expect a new thread about it.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

There was an update for (via) "Capricorn engine" with further prompt about Critical update | Restart needed.

With an ability to restart system or "later" (with option to choose "remind after minutes/hours").

Today was an update for (via) "Capricorn engine" with disabling FS Protection temporary / reload (as it usually for Ultralight Core updates or Upgrade from betaNum to betaNum).

So, was "prompt" only one time check (sounds that this prompt is usual for business solutions)?

And second situation is about removing this ability?

If so - with first situation - my experience was OK. And prompt was, perhaps, as it should be.

But I also did not play enough with "prompt" (if indeed it was only one time check). :)

Thanks!

Hi @Ukko 

The restart prompt comes if some update fails to install and leaves the security in weakened state. This can be caused by multiple reasons, for example, some critical files being locked. That's when we prompt for user to restart. This is quite rare, usually the updates succeed withtout restart required. The restart prompt is part of the product and used when needed. It's built to be persistent, so unless you kill the process from task manager, it will prompt again after the selected delay (and 5 minutes if you just hit top-right 'x').

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I didn't receive any prompts on my Windows 10 laptop last night, but then maybe it wasn't on for long enough to even have installed the update. I will have more time over the weekend to check things out.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for the explanation on the restart prompt!

In fact, this was my first experience about it (Windows 10 laptop).

Since it was completely unexpected (pending update was Capricorn engine) - I decided to think that it is check about functionality.

Then when with next day there was "reload / disabling" fs protection for applying update for Capricorn engine - I decided to think that both situations are related between each other.

Sounds that something wrong with my laptop. Both situations were on start / load system from "shutdown"-state. After around four hours with this state.

Then first update for Capricorn engine (first situation was also with successful installation for DeepGuard update seconds before) with impact.

15.08.2019 at night - after system load - "Capricorn Update 2019-08-14_06" triggered restart prompt.

16.08.2019 at night - after system load - "Capricorn Update 2019-08-15_05" triggered reload / disabling-enabling FS Protection.

All further updates were about good state. Will check it about today! :)

Thanks!

• jazzmusic
    jazzmusic Posts: 2 New Member

FSP's self-protection ability is not good, just need to manually shut down the FSP from the Task Manager, can you enhance the self-protection function as soon as possible, thank you! (using Google Translate)

• nanonyme
    nanonyme Posts: 145 Path Finder

@jazzmusic wrote:

FSP's self-protection ability is not good, just need to manually shut down the FSP from the Task Manager, can you enhance the self-protection function as soon as possible, thank you! (using Google Translate)

Hey, 

Are you talking about disabling functionality as admin? I don't think the consumer solution even tries to protect the product against local admin as it's a quite high-risk thing to do and might lock you out from your own computer. I would suggest making sure instead that the user account you use for regular machine usage does not have admin access so it's harder to accidentally impair your security. Actual malware the product does protect you from. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Thank you all for helpping us to continue making better product!

Our next project 17.8 has started, please follow the beta releases from the new post:
    https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Home-Security/FS-Protection-PC-17-8-releases/td-p/120065

This discussion has been closed.