I cannot download any .exe file!

Hello

Since I  installed F-Secure SAFE for win10,
I couldn't download some exe, msi and other installation files from internet.

Here are some examples:

A VPN Software of my college:
https://ccnet.ntu.edu.tw/vpn/Download/ps-pulse-win-9.1r1.0-b607-64bitinstaller.msi

Mega Syn for windows:
https://mega.nz/sync

Jdownloader:
http://jdownloader.org/dl?v=101

Only  few lucky installation files can be successfully downloaded.
Most of the downloading process oh the exe file just dead and show 'Internet error' on chrome.
I have tried to use other browser, shut down the F-Secure Safe and unistall it,
but my computer still can't not download them....

It seems that F-Secure Safe has changed some settings of my pc.
How could I fix this problem?
It really annoys me!

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions). Sorry for my reply; just try to understand situation and to get more information (in addition to my own tries to repeat situation).

Most of the downloading process oh the exe file just dead and show 'Internet error' on chrome.

What abbout next item (as example):

Is it possible to download this executable file?

Does it possible that something wrong with certain website? Are there more examples than provided three ones?

I have tried to use other browser, shut down the F-Secure Safe and unistall it,
    but my computer still can't not download them....

So, trouble is still there with any browser?

And then with uninstalled F-Secure SAFE?

It seems that F-Secure Safe has changed some settings of my pc.

I am not sure that it is possible. At least, if F-Secure SAFE did not detect some malicious items and clean up it. But even after such a situation - system should be with normal design.

How could I fix this problem?

Before F-Secure SAFE installation - all was OK with provided URLs? Or it is unknown?

I think good to try understand whether trouble is pinned to your system or not. Maybe it is internal troubles of websites / servers or something else.

What is exact output with any other browser (with "Google Chrome" it is 'Internet error'?).

And what is your system? And its build?

Thanks!

• Akira_Chao
    Akira_Chao Posts: 3 New Member

Hello!

Thank you for your reply! Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler

What abbout next item (as example):

Is it possible to download this executable file?
    Does it possible that something wrong with certain website? Are there more examples than provided three ones?

Yes, I can download this exe file sucessfully.
    Only the exe file from the certain website has this problem.
    Here is another example:
    Because I used 'kaspersky free' before using F-Secure,
    I thought that maybe I didn't uninstall it completely and try to download the uninstall tool (https://support.kaspersky.com/common/uninstall/1464).
    The download speed just became very slow.
    Finally, I successfully finished downloading after about 5 tries....

Spoiler

So, trouble is still there with any browser?

And then with uninstalled F-Secure SAFE?

Yes, I have tried Edge and Firefox.
    But the exe file still couldn't be sucessfully downloaded Smiley Sad

I also tried after uninstalling F-Secure SAFE,
    but it still ouldn't be successfully downloaded .

Spoiler

Before F-Secure SAFE installation - all was OK with provided URLs? Or it is unknown?

I think good to try understand whether trouble is pinned to your system or not. Maybe it is internal troubles of websites / servers or something else.

What is exact output with any other browser (with "Google Chrome" it is 'Internet error'?)

Yes, I can successfully download every exe file before I use F-Secure.
    Here is the description of chrome: (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2898334?hl=en)
    Furthermore,
    in Edge the download speed of the file would just became a same speed forever
    and the process would also unchange forever....

Besides,

I am using Windows 10 Home version.
    Furthermore,

I have reinstall F-Secure in my pc 
    and I found that I can use Internet Download Messenger to download the exe file sucessfly without several tries.
    But I  still would like to know how to solve this problem!
    Thanks Smiley Happy

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply.

Yes, I can download this exe file sucessfully.
    Only the exe file from the certain website has this problem.

I do not able to check with enough configurations and settings on current day - but, at least, two of URLs were somewhat broken with my experience too. Another (third one) was with completely unexpected downloading speed.

So, maybe trouble is not on your side (although, it was pretty clear with my browser; so, I am not sure that it is valid for your situation).

Because I used 'kaspersky free' before using F-Secure,
    I thought that maybe I didn't uninstall it completely and try to download the uninstall tool.
    The download speed just became very slow.
    Finally, I successfully finished downloading after about 5 tries....

An explanation can be point of "latency". For example, if their server is not ready for certain location, then speed can be reduced. Just like pinging between two remote destinations.

Against this, usually, something as CDN is used for such a situation (if it is not possible to maintain own servers and redirect users based on geolocation points for most available speed for user). However, it can be used to limit bandwidth too.

Anyway, maybe this one situation is not an example of entire trouble (as inability to download files).

I also tried after uninstalling F-Secure SAFE,
    but it still ouldn't be successfully downloaded .

I think that F-Secure SAFE can not to change something with system for this kind of impact. Especially, after uninstallation.

So, need to find anything else!

Yes, I can successfully download every exe file before I use F-Secure.

Although, this is strange. But, maybe, there were another compatibility troubles. Or any other installed applications.

Just because some executable files are possible to download. Another one - not. More sounds as something wrong with certain website rather than with system. In addition, trouble is valid for any browser.

I have reinstall F-Secure in my pc 
    and I found that I can use Internet Download Messenger to download the exe file sucessfly without several tries.
    But I  still would like to know how to solve this problem!

Did you mean "Internet Download Manager"?

If so - there was topic with related trouble:

Inability to download certain files, F-Secure and "IDM" software (in fact, "Internet Download Manager" was subject of multiple discussions).

Could you check this topic and some suggestions? What if something is useful for your situation there.

Thus, maybe Internet Download Manager overwrite / hook system design and as a result browsers own flow is broken. OR, Internet Download Manager with ability to download items from "trouble" URLs or to mitigate reduced speed!

Sorry for my English! Good if you will back with feedback!

Thanks!

• Akira_Chao
    Akira_Chao Posts: 3 New Member

Hello!
    Thank you for your honesty reply! Heart

After reading what you just wrote,
    I think maybe some unknown internet pronlems cause this  issue
    and I think I would just wait for a while and see if the issue still occours.

Besides,
    I just downloaded and installed IDM yestaurday

because I would like to download a file by 'a downloader' not 'Chrome'.

But it seems that IDM has some security issues,
    so do you have any recommend downloader? Smiley Embarassed

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info