Remove incompatible applications

Why does Safe installer object to SpywareBlaster, Shadow Defender, HitmanPro

4525.pngChat Support will not tell me Why SpywareBlaster, Shadow Defender and HitmanPro are deemed incompatible.   

And users don't seem to understand Why.  

So, Why are passive, dormant, not real time, on demand tools deemed incompatible.  

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I can't explain why either, but the installer is probably just trained to identify other security software and insist on it's removal, whether it's passive, or active. 

Of course, there's nothing stopping you reinstalling the 'incompatible' apps after installing F-Secure, and you might find there's no issues, but if you do experience problems, the first thing Support will recommend is to uninstall any other security software so as to eliminate potential conflicts.

• bjm_
    bjm_ Posts: 11 Observer

Hi

I appreciate your interest and I acknoledge your Community rank.

Users don't know why and Support doesn't know why.

I can maybe understand Why if there were confirmed documented recent reproducable reported conflicts re SpywareBlaster, Shadow Defender and HitmanPro. 

Otherwise.....thinking I'll pass.  

I'm not removing my favored trusted non real-time non AV programs to run F-Secure Trial.   

Removing anything and everything may save on support resources.... but, would also skew my Trial experience.   And support still won't know Why. 

Thanks

• Simon

Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the other major security suites, such as BitDefender, Kaspersky, etc, and do they also ask for removal of potentially conflicting software?  I do know, having been using F-Secure for many years, it has always been the case that they have recommended removing any other security software from the machine. 

I have Malwarebytes 2.2(?) on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines, and that runs fine alongside FS, but when I tried MWB 3, I had problems.  I also have the passive HitmanPro, and this threesome don't seem to bother each other.

• bjm_

Yes, to tried other major security suites.  

None have objected to SpywareBlaster which is dormant and not AV, Shadow Defender which does not run at startup and is only on-demand and is not AV, HitmanPro which does not run at startup and is only on-demand and is not AV.  

~ since you mention "suite".  F-Secure installer did not object to my Windows Firewall Control that runs at startup.  

~ and installer did not object to NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro and OSArmor that run at startup or object to Sandboxie , EEK or AdwCleaner.  

Thanks

• Simon

F-Secure piggy-backs Windows Firewall, as it doesn't have it's own, so that's why there was no objection.

I can't comment on your other apps as I've not used any of them . You do seem to have multiple layers of protection.  I'm not sure why some would be flagged as potential conflicts and some not.  Maybe it's just a case that F-Secure objects to apps where there is past evidence of problems?

• bjm_

Malwarebytes 3.x installs as 14day Premium Trial.    Did you deactivate Trial.  

• Simon

I have a lifetime licence for MWB, so that wasn't the issue.  This was some time ago, when MWB 3 first came along, so things may be different now - I just can't be a*sed to try it again.  Smiley Wink

• bjm_

I hear ya'

Cheers

• bjm_

[quote]

Dear ,
    With regards to your inquiry, according to our team, normally security software is doing similar things on the low level Operating System operations and those are conflicting with each other. Since we cannot check all the security software on the market for possible compatibility issues, this is a prevention to avoid possible problems or clashes and ensure the systems are protected when our software is installed.

Please feel free to contact us again should you need further assistance.
    Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Technical Support Engineer
    F-Secure Corporation

[/quote]

• Simon

So, basically, if you were to reinstall an application after it has been removed by F-Secure, and it all works, then there's no problem.  Just try not to have multiple applications that do the same thing.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just as sidenote. There was a discussion about subject(?):

althought this is not the only example. There were other discussions too.

In addition, official view is likely around next article OR unofficial opinion:

My own feelings are:

Incompatibility state of certain software is too tricky.

What about your direct examples: I feel that HitmanPro is listed there only because of HitmanPro Alert (inability to check only against HitmanPro Alert). But even such tools (like HitmanPro) can be a reason for unexpected result and incompatibility.

Furthermore, it is unknown how Shadow Defender is configured. If I understand it correctly (I used this tool or related tool with similar design or its previous builds) - it is about emulation. Result of these activities are likely unexpected for most of software.

Possible to suspect that certain software is listed or is not listed based on user's feedback too. Thus, if no one reports an incompatibility (unexpected impact) with certain tools (your noted list of software and things like AdwCleaner) - then F-Secure does not mark it as incompatible until they find something on their own.

But if software is well-known and too popular, software with potentially incompatible design  - then such software can be listed as pre-caution.

However, as already mentioned, possible to reinstall "incompatible" software later (after F-Secure installation). Where the result is unexpected and it is applicable only as a user's own decision.

My own experience:

-> with tools like HitmanPro (scanners on-demand).

BSODs, freezes (bugs with HitmanPro in fact), false positive detection against clean files of another security software, something else.

For example, unexpected situation can be when HitmanPro scanner tried to access protected by another security software area. Or when HitmanPro process is 'hooked/processed' by another security software. And so on.

-> with another security solutions.

Can be anything.

Incompatibility is also not only about troubles with F-Secure, but F-Secure software can be a reason for troubles in another software. Just as an example, even if F-Secure works fine with "Certain Combat Suite" - this "CSS" functionality can be with troubles. Likely that F-Secure can mark such suite as incompatible during installation (if it is not possible to fix).

Also, incompatibility is more often about "not recommended" (or not possible to guarantee anything - even if you managed to do it). For example, different F-Secure solutions (packages) as F-Secure SAFE / F-Secure Internet Security (or different builds of F-Secure SAFE or different builds of F-Secure SAFE) / branded F-Secure solutions are not possible to install at the same time. Logically.

Another example is ability to prevent block network connections. Most of current solutions with fully or partly cloud-design. If certain resource (or connection to) is blocked (or modified) by another security software - incompatibility can be invisible pretty long and silently until you decided to think that there is something strange.

-> unexpected situations.

My own experience is about non-permanent BSODs. Although, it was possible to repeat only with installed F-Secure solution - the actual reason was the remaining driver from another security solution.

After third-party solution uninstallation and even after their clean up tool. Just needed one more step (undocumented) for completely clean state. Thus, even though third-party solution is not installed anymore (a lot of months) - it was a reason for BSODs (triggered by using F-Secure solution; just as incompatibility with third-party security software functionality or certain circumstance).

However, I have used both security software for many days (at the same time).

Sorry for my English! And long reply.

Thanks!

• bjm_

F-Secure installer did not object to my Sandboxie, NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro, OSArmor, Windows Firewall Control, VPN, EEK, AdwCleaner, browser tools...etc.    
    F-Secure installer objections lost credibility.  

I read F-Secure changed from BD to Avira so, I was curious. 
    I'm not curious anymore. 
    Thanks again.

Um, I can always add mutual exclusions.

• Ukko

Hello,

So, it is only a discussion between users.

F-Secure installer did not object to my Sandboxie, NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro, OSArmor, Windows Firewall Control, VPN, EEK, AdwCleaner, browser tools...etc.    

You have not added why it should be.

You did not explain why.

I read F-Secure changed from BD to Avira so, I was curious. 

F-Secure was always F-Secure.

// edited (for clear view). And Avira is Avira too. Though, both companies can to use "one" tool/platform in their own engines. I think that there should be certain name for things which F-Secure used and which are created by Avira (and even used in their own software too). So, this is not like if F-Secure is uses Avira engine (as certain solutions. or as virustotal do in their service); but uses their tools for engine (possible to suspect that it possible to tune up, configure with certain levels and abilities; and even there can be differences between solutions - what is impossible if it used "one engine"). Maybe as it with browser's engines.

I will explain my opinion a little be.

For example, some tools and things are compatible with F-Secure. And F-Secure is also compatible with. It can even be designed for compatibility with specific tools.

F-Secure check against incompatibility software during installation is a check against known software; software which may lead to compatibility troubles; or was (or is) known as incompatible with certain software.

There are some options like:

-> if certain software is compatible (covered with tests, time, design) with F-Secure solution.

But F-Secure solution mark it as incompatible software - possible to contact their Support and request re-evaluate it.

-> if certain software is incompatible with F-Secure solution.
    But F-Secure solution does not mark it as incompatible software - possible to report about it to F-Secure Support.

Thus, I am not sure how F-Secure installer objections can be trusted or not. It is kind of recommendation or notification about incompatible state. In its general sense - F-Secure can not guarantee the correct functioning of both software. When you choose a security solution.. it usually means that you trust the chosen company.

If incompatible software is not detected during installation - it is a bug. Usually, bugs are reported to company (if the user wants to do so). Or developers find them sooner or later. Usually, bugs are fixed then.

Just interesting:

If there will be an explanation with examples about incompatible scenarios between requested software and F-Secure - it will be enough for you? Should it be only clear troubles like this one: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Common-topics/Wacom-Pen-drivers-may-break-F/ta-p/111821

And should situation be checked each major, minor or daily update of third-party software?

What about changes with F-Secure engines:

Previous "engine" and fresh "engine" are both only tools/platform which can be used by any company. As noted companies do too (their own tool/platform is used in their own solutions). Fresh engine is still F-Secure engine (as Avira engine too; though both using one platform for it).

I think if fresh abilities to detect certain malicious or suspicious items, check against false positives, database updating flow was interesting to you - I am not sure why "Incompatible"-request is stop point for you. It is even can be check against fresh engine (as installing different software with active F-Secure).

Thanks!

• bjm_

@Ukko wrote:

Hello,

So, it is only a discussion between users.

F-Secure installer did not object to my Sandboxie, NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro, OSArmor, Windows Firewall Control, VPN, EEK, AdwCleaner, browser tools...etc.    

You have not added why it should be.

You did not explain why.

1) Why it should be.....for the same erronious logic that F-Secure objected to SpywareBlaster, Shadow Defender and HitmanPro.  

2) F-Secure does not explain Why installer obects to A and not B.     

• Ukko

As sidenote: I also prefer more information and more accurate detection against compatibility software.

But we tried to discuss already existed situation.

I tried to explain (my own opinion) why listed HitmanPro. I think that just because of HitmanPro Alert (although there are reasons that can be treated as compatibility troubles with HitmanPro).

Shadow Defender is likely do perform emulation; and it is unknown how solution is configured and how it used by user. I think that it is clearly possible to perform actions which unexpected for F-Secure or will lead to its malfunction (with certain timeframe).

Shadow Defender as any software with abilities to scan, handle items or scanning/check some things. Probably, I did not try this solution (or I already do not remember it). So, I am not sure how it works. But if there is any integration with system or another software - then it always can be tricky for another security software (who can usually do the same things). 

Since public list of incompatible (or compatible) software with F-Secure is not available (however, can be cool to read it). Incompatible is possible to understand as recommendation and advice to uninstall known incompatible software. Reasons for incompatible claim can be as user's feedback about its incompatible state; own research and evidence of incompatibility; something else.

There are some options with this:

-> report about compatibility with software marked as incompatible.

-> report about incompatibility with software that is not known to be incompatible.

All in all, if you are intended to install F-Secure and you are sure that software marked as incompatible are OK.... It is possible to reinstall such software back after completing F-Secure installation. Maybe, this should not be prevented.

Incompatibility is a tricky wording itself. For example, with my tries to use security software and third-party security tool - there are always noticeable changes in response time. With one solution, with another or with both. To use both security solutions is always about more resources in use (although the result does not always increase). It is possible to work around it by exclusions (but it will reduce 'security' points too).

Of course, it is good to use third-party scanners or tools as doublecheck scan.. from time to time. But I am not sure about daily use. And to use different complete suites at the same time is cool - but practically always unsupported. And it can probably lead to difficulties with security (in fact).

Security software requirements (where "compatibility list" is included) are about enough state with which company can to guarantee proper functioning their solution.

Thanks!

• Ukko

by the way, I forgot to add that if you are completely sure that the "detected incompatible software" is compatible and fine -> there is an undocumented (for home user) ability to skip the compatibility check during installation (or ignore certain software). However, I do not doublecheck it with current day (if it still applied, but I think it still should).

This can be useful if you decide to test F-Secure solution in the future, but you do not want to struggle with reinstalling 'incompatible' software. 

Such design is mainly designed for bussiness versions, but should work for current home versions too (most likely). When installing the product, you can use certain command-line parameters. I think you can request support for advice on this. Otherwise, you can always ask the community about (how to perform the trick)!

• bjm_

@Ukko wrote:

by the way, I forgot to add that if you are completely sure that the "detected incompatible software" is compatible and fine -> there is an undocumented (for home user) ability to skip the compatibility check during installation (or ignore certain software). [..] Otherwise, you can always ask the community about (how to perform the trick)!

How to perform the trick?

• Ukko

I tried to explain via a private channel as private letter to you (since I did not recheck this option on current day, but it still has to work).

• bjm_

Okay.  Looks like it's over my pay grade. 

Maybe, I'll play and see.

IDK yet.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info