Ulu.exe

I use F-secure from Xs4all. Since the installtion I get depressed. Each when I start my PC and furtther any few hours about 30% of my processor capacity is used to install the program ulu.exe again. This takes about 5 to 10 min. during which the use of any other programm is praticly impossible.

Any suggestion how to get rid of this frustrating behaviour is highly appreciated.

I use Windows 7 SP1 . Xs4all support could not help a bit.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello @AMA,

Thank you for reporting us the issue, the ulu.exe is one of our F-secure engine it mainly runs as a scheduled task under the Windows Task Scheduler triggered by a time event. In your situation, would you pelase try check the scan settings by:

1.  Opening the F-secure program
      2. Go to settings
      3. Scheduled scan settings

4. UnCheck( remove tick) -if you have low priority setting for scheduled scanning and Scan inside compressed files . That can affect the scan time.
       5.  You can choose the scan to only check known file types.

• AMA
    AMA Posts: 2 New Member

This advice  did not help at all because there was no scan "planned".

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser

@AMA wrote:

This advice  did not help at all because there was no scan "planned".

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Each when I start my PC and furtther any few hours about 30% of my processor capacity is used to install the program ulu.exe again. This takes about 5 to 10 min. during which the use of any other programm is praticly impossible.
    Any suggestion how to get rid of this frustrating behaviour is highly appreciated. 

I think that resources are not used to install "ulu.exe" each time; but "ulu.exe" is used as part of installing updates flow.

For your security - when fresh database-updates (signatures, definitions or updates to modules) are available - F-Secure installation tries to install it.

Usually, such check is done when you start your PC; and then each hour with small request for updates availability (if updates are available - there is try to download and install it).

Or per your manual request ("Check updates").

Possible to 'postpone' it by enabling Gaming mode (but it will reduce some security concerns).

Likely that your experience is about "Aquarius"-engine updates (most visible impact and high resource usage). This design is based on pretty huge count of definitions (size of database/engine) and ability to install/update it on-the-fly. Not needed to unload F-Secure AV and then manually install updates and turn security solution back. In addition, just in case - backup of previous 'definitions'-pack is created.

So, such process should take some time and 'impact' is based on system and hardware configuration. Also, another activities are critical (for example, if another application tries to perform update or so).

I am not sure if your described impact is normal, but there are some other community discussions about:

Usually, I also feel "updates installation timeframe" - but possible to use system anyway (or better to say - not possible to call it as "impossible to use"). For except - if system is not launched often - likely that first run with much more visible impact.

Something as my own workarounds - if I would like to run system and use it immediately  (not possible to wait some minutes for 'database updating'-time) - system is launched with offline mode (network connection is disabled) and optionally with further enabling F-Secure "Gaming mode".

When system is loaded and, for example, browser is launched (or required application) - turn on network connection and possible to use it. Then to disable gaming mode (while it is not necessary to use gaming mode at all; when I launch system with offline mode and then enable online mode - I do not feel updating impact - since there is no overload by multiple processes by system/software).

Also, F-Secure always with tries to improve performance and to optimize design. Maybe further F-Secure builds and upgrades will be with much more friendly design and lightly.

On current day - good to doublecheck that your F-Secure installation with all installed updates (what if some of them with 'pending'-status or 'troublestate'; and your experience is about re-try to reinstall it each time with larger impact than expected). Possible to rightclick "F-Secure" traylogo and to open "Common Settings" (Check updates tab) where list of installed updates is visible. Also, good to be sure that your solution with latest available build (if your ISP with options to provide different ones). One else 'workaround' is to manually check updates when possible to go away from PC for some minutes (or when possible to stay it with idle state).

Sorry for my long reply and my worst English!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info