A silly bug in the installer of F-Secure Safe via Telia

When installing F-Secure Safe via the Telia side to the F-Secure-Safe page
- it is detected correctly that McAfee Total-Protection is already installed
- The question of whether McAfee should be removed, is answered yes
- After that the following error occurs:
- a continuous print command is triggered, which prints out a screenshot in color as long as paper is in the printer tray
- that happened to me with 2 installations on 2 computers
- Since the printer is in another room, did not notice to be able to turn off the printer and cancel the print command in the printer menu
- Now I have 1x each 130 printouts of the screenshot
and once every 250 printouts (full tray)
Reason? Error in the installation routine of F-Secure Safe
or a late revenge from McAfee Total Protection because it will be uninstalled?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Lol!  Not heard of that one before!

It would probably be best to remove McAfee, using their uninstallation tool, before installing F-Secure, as the FS installer may not remove all components of the previous AV, and therefore you may have problems later on.  

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Sounds cool (except impact for you)!

I able to think that it can be part of McAfee uninstallation design (not sure that F-Secure do use their own steps to remove it; But do use something by third-party tools or by triggering default uninstallation); Even can be good explanation why it can be part of F-Secure installation process (too).

Just interesting -> does it screenshot about 'one state'? Or real-time (where screenshots with uninstalling/instaling process)? Also if screenshot with 'timestamp' -> maybe F-Secure direct Support Channels with good abilities to re-check situation properly (with fsdiag/logs). Does it was based on their design or not.

Thanks!

• FSSafeNewbie
    FSSafeNewbie Posts: 6 Observer

Me too "Lol"! Exact so I did it on the next two installations (3 and 4 out of 6) I first deleted McAffee Total Protection with its uninstall routine. Interesting that when checking with "CCleaner Professional" more than 35 files and registry entries were found and partially eliminated but still plenty of relics by McAfee on the HDD. Funny!

• FSSafeNewbie

yes, 380 snapshots of the same screen shot of 'one state', a snapshot showing the progress bar of the McAfee uninstall routine at about 50%. That's why I was amused by a McAfee revenge (or just a programming bug?)

Screenshot.jpeg

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

@FSSafeNewbie wrote:

Me too "Lol"! Exact so I did it on the next two installations (3 and 4 out of 6) I first deleted McAffee Total Protection with its uninstall routine. Interesting that when checking with "CCleaner Professional" more than 35 files and registry entries were found and partially eliminated but still plenty of relics by McAfee on the HDD. Funny!

When I referred to McAfee's uninstallation tool, I was referring to their own full removal tool, which you should be able to find here:

Uninstallation Tools

I think it's the MCPR.exe that you need to run, followed by a reboot, and that should remove all traces of McAfee from the machine, and enable a new AV to be installed without any issues.  :)

• FSSafeNewbie

Thank you Simon for pointing to MCPR.exe. I will try that.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Simon wrote:

FSSafeNewbie wrote:

When I referred to McAfee's uninstallation tool, I was referring to their own full removal tool, which you should be able to find here: Uninstallation Tools I think it's the MCPR.exe that you need to run, followed by a reboot, and that should remove all traces of McAfee from the machine, and enable a new AV to be installed without any issues.  :)

Sorry for my reply.

Such step with MCPR.exe  (at least, with my own experience about pre-installed McAfee solutions) also do not remove all traces of McAfee. :) CCleaner anyway will find some items (valid for any other security solutions too. F-Secure included).

But it was only (?) one step to sort situation. With my experience -> after common uninstallation (before MCPR.exe) was not possible to install F-Secure at all.

And about printed screenshot. Maybe this is debug-trick as internal check about uninstalling/removal-process.

But not sure why it's printed (or even available with user's system). :) Only one feeling -> it should be possible to re-check/re-try and get proper view.

If it was revenge of McAfee -> it should be marked by them as 'security feature' (notification about silent removing their solution!) :)

• FSSafeNewbie

Oh, no apology for your answer required! It's all good, thanks for good advice.

• FSSafeNewbie

The problem seems to be solved, I think that FSS also uses the deinstallation routine of McAfee, because a later deinstallation with McAfee´s deinstallation routine on another machine leave behind a similar number of files. Thank you all for the answers.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info