IMAP connections issues

niklicht
niklicht Posts: 3 New Member

I have Freedome installed on MacOS X 10.12.6. I have a number IMAP email accounts configured in Apple Mail, and when Freedome has an active VPN connection I get constant account error messages in Mail saying there are connection failures with messages like "Mail was unable to connect to <imap server> using SSL on the default ports...". This happens independently from the internet connection I'm using, it has nothing to do with my ISPs.

When Freedome is passive or I use any other VPN service the problem does not occur.

I have had my mail server provider check the logs for the IP I connect with through Freedome in given situations and he cannot find any error reports on the server side, except of course many connections originating from the IMAP accounts.

He and I now believe it must be a problem with Freedome VPN. Maybe Freedome has settings limiting the number of mail server connections per time unit.
I have not been able to check the issue with the IMAP Idle command unchecked, seems Apple has silently removed that checkbox.
If F-Secure cannot solve this problem then I may have to move to another VPN-provider.
Best wishes -- Nikolaj

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

One of previous topics  (and more recent one) about such concern was with advices to contact direct F-Secure Support Channels (chat as example):

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

But... not clear result of this step (trouble still there?! and feedback from users still not visible). Maybe Support Agents able to offer some workarounds or local fixes.

Also..

or I use any other VPN service the problem does not occur

Does it indeed any other VPN service? Or just some of them (as most common ones)?

Thanks!

• niklicht
    niklicht Posts: 3 New Member

Thank you for replying!

I had indeed found those forum posts you indicate before posting myself. I couldn't find any post relating precisely to IMAP problems.

I thought this was place where one could also expect replies from the f-secure support staff but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll try via other channels then.

Thank you -- Nikolaj

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I had indeed found those forum posts you indicate before posting myself. I couldn't find any post relating precisely to IMAP problems.

Yes.. not about IMAP directly. But description for trouble sounds as common (and maybe do not based on protocol). And good that currently available topic about IMAP (helpful for other users with such trouble).

I thought this was place where one could also expect replies from the f-secure support staff but that doesn't seem to be the case.

In fact -> possible to get replies from F-Secure Teams or F-Secure Community Staff under community. Maybe also possible to receive replies from F-Secure Support staff (but not so often).

But depends on many different points. And with 'unexpected' time to receive it.

And direct Support Channels (when required something as logs/fsdiag) anyway will be most useful place for providing this information. Also as 'boost up' situation.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info