Is BBC now blocking iPlayer access to Freedome users?

Options
SPH
SPH Posts: 6 Explorer

Since yesterday (6th October) I have been unable to access the BBC iPlayer from France via Freedome running on my MacBook.  Is this a known issue?

Some details:

I am running Mac OS Sierra and Freedome 1.6.3289.0

The same issue occurs using both Firefox and Safari

I am not aware of any changes/updates to my configuration between the time I was last able to access iplayer (2 days ago) and now

Edit to Add: Other UK video sites are still fully accessible - this problem only affects my access to BBC iPlayer

When I connect to the iPlayer site *without* Freedome enabled the site loads & works correctly but I am of course unable to watch any videos due to the geo-restrictions. The site homepage appears as follows:

Freedome disabled

When I enable Freedome, most images are then blank and menu options (eg "Channel") on the page no longer work or appear as if some script has failed to load. Specific programmes can be accessed via the direct links but then the video player simply does not start, again as if the page element is blocked. The same homepage looks as follows:

Freedome Enabled

Interestingly I do appear to be able to access iPlayer via the iPhone app.

Can someone from F-Secure please advise?

Comments

• SPH
    SPH Posts: 6 Explorer
    Options
    I have now discovered that this issue appears to caused by the browsing protection feature of Freedome. When I disable this option I am able to fully access iPlayer as before. Please can the F-Secure team investigate
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee
    Options

Hi SPH,

Just to check with you further, could you please confirm if you are able to access the BBC iPlayer when Tracking Protection in Freedome is turned OFF (when Browsing Protection is ON)?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee
    Options

Thanks for the detailed post, SPH. Glad to know it is sorted now. If you happen to see the issue reoccur, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info