F Secure Freedome on Kindle Fire bug report and new licence key request
I have a Kindle Fire HDX 7 and an 8.9 (both 3rd generation with the latest Fire OS 4.5.5) and I did have Freedome installed on both (from the Amazon appstore). But I noticed that no Apps were updating on neither device for at least 1 month. To try and fix this problem I performed a soft reset (hold on off button for 40 seconds) and a full factory reset on both devices. The soft reset had no effect and after the full factory reset my apps started automatically updating again but both devices stopped updating after a day or so. And so I contacted Amazon customer support who said that they didn't know what was causing a problem that was not fixed by a full factory reset but that as a work around I could get the Apps to download by entering Settings/Applications/Manage all Applications/Stop Appstore and delete data. This fixed the problem on both devices and all available App updates downloaded automatically. But after a restart no Apps again updated. And so on a hunch I deleted Freedome from both devices. And after this the Apps updated automatically every day when the devices were turned on. But as soon as I installed and registered Freedome on the devices no Apps updated without entering Settings/Applications/Manage all Applications/Stop Appstore and delete data. But I have not installed and registered Freedome on the other device (Kindle Fire HDX 7) and when App updates are available they install automatically when I turn on the device. From this I presume that there is a bug in Freedome preventing Apps from updating.
Because I have had to delete and reinstall Freedome about twice on each Kindle Fire I have run out of valid licenses (I have 2 separate 3 device licenses for a total of 5 devices) and so I would be grateful for 2 new licence Keys. If/when requested I will willingly provide proof of purchase (they were both purchased from the F-Secure e-store).
I hope to hear from someone soon
Update: I rememered that I became suspicious that the problem was with Freedome because the only App that ever updated on either Kindle Fire was Freedome. Also in the Apps updates section of both Kindle Fires no Apps ever showed as available for updating (except Freedome) but when I manually checked each App in the Appstore there were many updates available for my Apps (which when selected in the Appstore would install but this process can take up to about half an hour to check through all Apps in the Appstore). This problem occurs when either manual or automatic updates are selected in the Kindle Fire settings (ie no Apps show as available for installation if manual installation selected or install automatically of automatic updates selected - except for Freedome).