TP 99.5 Virus Definition Not Updated?

Rusli
Rusli Posts: 1,012 Influencer

Hey Guys,

It seems that I have an issues here, it seems like I did not have the latest Virus Definition Updates.

My TP 99.5 did not seems to do any downloading of virus definition updates updates for the past 2 days.

I check back via the dbtracker.

http://www.f-secure.com/dbtracker/

It does not tally up.

How come???

Comments

• Fuzz
    Fuzz Posts: 22

Same problem here.

• Tomi
    Tomi Posts: 42 Contributor

Hello,

Could you guys try to hit "Check now", do you get new updates?

There seemed to be minor hickups on the backend, but should be flowing now again properly.

• Fuzz

OK here now. Thanks.

• Rusli

Hi,

3 days in a row without any updates. Well here goes... I've got only Hydra & Gemini Updates.

Nooooooooo.........!! Server Error!

2013-12-06 11:03:29.060 [044c.6908]  I: Downloaded 'F-Secure Gemini Update 2013-12-05_01' - 'gemdb' version '1386237416' from updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com, 4606191 bytes (download size 3806 bytes)
    2013-12-06 11:04:16.349 [044c.0724]  I: Installation of 'F-Secure Gemini Update 2013-12-05_01' : Success
    2013-12-06 11:04:50.022 [044c.4120]  I: Downloaded 'F-Secure Hydra Update 2013-12-05_04' - 'hydrawin' version '1386261649' from updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com, 11159019 bytes (download size 5922269 bytes)
    2013-12-06 11:04:50.990 [044c.049c]  I: Update check failed. There was an error connecting updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (Server error)

2013-12-06 11:46:59.137 [044c.049c]  I: Update check failed. There was an error connecting updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (Connection failed)
    2013-12-06 11:48:01.049 [044c.049c]  I: Connecting to updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (no BW proxy, no HTTP proxy)...
    2013-12-06 11:48:09.342 [044c.049c]  I: Update check failed. There was an error connecting updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (Server error)
    2013-12-06 12:07:46.358 [044c.049c]  I: Connecting to updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (no BW proxy, no HTTP proxy)...
    2013-12-06 12:08:07.919 [044c.049c]  I: Update check failed. There was an error connecting updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (Server error)
    2013-12-06 12:20:55.739 [044c.049c]  I: Connecting to updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (no BW proxy, no HTTP proxy)...
    2013-12-06 12:23:16.717 [044c.049c]  I: Update check failed. There was an error connecting updates-tp.sp.f-secure.com (Server error)

Oh Man.

• Rusli

It seems like the main server is fumble again.

Can you guys check again?

• Rusli

Hi Tomi,

I can't seems to get any Aquarius Updates.

I saw 1% download and stop right there and it gives "Server Error!"

• Fuzz

I do not get a server error but I do not think my Aquarius updates are up to date. This morning I only had a Deepguard and Hydra update.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Hmm... This is worrying.  Seems I haven't had an update for many components for several days.  Will report to beta team, but I don't fancy waiting until Monday for an answer.  May have to switch to another product.  Smiley Sad

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-1.png

• Simon

To make matters worse, I've just made the mistake of uninstalling and reinstalling the product, and now cannot get updates at all.  This renders the product unusable.

Untitled.png

• Fuzz

One thing I do not like is it says you are protected when you are not. F-Secure needs to have some kind of notice when there is a problem with the servers.

• Simon
    Indeed. I'm assuming the problem is only with the tp update servers, but there seems to be no way to change the server, and I wouldn't know what to change it to anyway. I PM'd AndyY, wino was on here at the time, but I've had no response. I'll be seriously miffed if this is left over the weekend because it's already been four days since the last updates. I know this is a beta version, but we shouldn't be left vulnerable like this, and I'm surprised they don't get alerts for server failures, if indeed, that's what's happened. Hopefully there will be some news tomorrow.
  • Tomi

Hello guys,

As a temporary workaround, can you guys try to update your definitions manually by using fsdbupdate9.exe. You can download it from here:

http://download.f-secure.com/latest/fsdbupdate9.exe

• Simon

Yes, that seems to have worked, thanks Tomi.

So, can we run that tool daily, or is that just specific to one update package?

• Tomi

Hi,

The package gets redone everytime we release a definition update so it always has the latest definitions. So if you notice that the definitions are not updated, you can redownload the package and use it to perform the update.

• Simon

OK.  The laptop that I reinstalled TP99.5 on, which subsequently had no definitions, seems to be struggling to install all of the updates, but I'll reboot and run the tool again - hopefully they will all install eventually.

When is this issue likely to be fixed, Tomi?

• Simon

My laptop is still displaying as above on the Computer Security screen (ie, Last Sucessful Update Check 01/01/1970), but the Common Settings > Downloads screen is showing the updates as installed.  Is this usual when applying updates manually?

Untitled.png

• Simon

The server is now connecting, and updates are coming through.  thumb.gif

• Tomi

Hello,

sorry for not being able to update you earlier. The updates should now be flowing properly to all update channels again.

@Simon, how is it looking for your laptop? Did it manage to download everything and is the Computer Security now looking ok?

• Simon

Hi Tomi,

It appeared to download everything again, but once all the components were installed. Computer Security then displayed correctly.

What surprised and disappointed me most in all this was that there was no notification to say that updates weren't being received, and CS was reporting that everything was up to date, when it wasn't. It's not every day that one checks the Common Settings page, or indeed the Downloads page in CS, so I think there needs to be some sort of alert mechanism for if updates are not received for, say, 24 hours, or if there are server connection issues?

• Fuzz

I agree. We do need notification when we are not protected.

Hi,

The product will alert you about updates not received after 7 days I think. When you install and Computer Security does not receive any updates (and displays 1/1/1970) is a bug and should be fixed in TP101.

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Simon
    Hi Ville,

Given the amount of zero day exploits, and the speed at which viruses and malware spread these days, would it be possible to have an alert after say 24 or 48 hours if virus definitions are not received?
  • Fuzz

Well, I have my Aquarius updates from yesterday but none for today. Is there still a problem. I am not getting a connection error and have the Hydra updates for today.

• Simon

Perhaps there wasn't one today?  My last one was yesterday too.

• Fuzz

Well, Wilders Security forum update alerts show 3 Aquarious updates for the 9th. Shows 4 updates today.

• Fuzz

Thanks for that. Guess I am correct as I only have the Hydra for today. No error message or anything. Something is wrong with the server.

• Simon
    Oh right. Smiley Sad Looks like there may still be problems then. Mine is definitely saying that the check is successful, but not downloading anything since the Hydra one today.
  • Simon
    I'm glad I've now got Malwarebytes installed as well, thanks to Nik's advice.
  • NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

A comparison as I don't have the Beta. Name of latest update for date 09:

Aquarius _03

Hydra _02

Note: The info on dbtracker is incorrect. You need to click on the links to Aquarius and Hydra to see the latest updates.

This discussion has been closed.