Problem with never-ending auto-update
This is my first time posting here although I have used F-Secure for years. My problem is that two days ago my F-Secure startind continuously downloading updates. Sometimes it finishes the download and just starts again but sometimes it is getting to about 90% and then repeatedly going back to 70 or 80%. When I look at the activity, it says that there has been a successful update check today but no updates show as having been installed in the last two days.
I'm using Internet Security 2011witha n extended licence valid for another year.
Can anyone help me with a suggestion of how to fix this?
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid that it has got worse. I tried updating it from 2011 to 2013. This seemed to work at first but now I have two new problems:
1) It won't update at all and gives a message that "There is not enough room on the disk". There is actually over 500GB of free space.
2) Both the virus & spyware scanning and the spam & phishing filtering are reporting malfunctions and showing as inactive. Deepguard and the firewall show as OK. I uninstalled F-Secure completely using the removal tool and reinstalled twice but the problem keeps coming back.
I have run a full scan with Malwarebytes and also a full scan with the F-Secure online scanner and neither of them found any infection. All my other programs are running normally and there doesn't seem to be any suspicious behaviour.
Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to have to go back to Norton or Macafee.
Please try to reinstall the program again by follow the steps below:
- Download and run the UItool.
- Run > regedit
- Remove the following registry keys:
* # HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Data Fellows
* # HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\F-Secure
OR 64-bit OS:
* # HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Data Fellows
* # HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\F-Secure
- Remove the F-Secure Installation folder in c:\Program files or c:\Program files (x86)
- Download and reinstall the Internet Security 2013.
I have this same problem. The update has been running for two hour now. I have my little bit of money in the stock market and your lousy product is interfering with my ability to work the market. Why do you not trust your customers to make the decision on when to update? I have had this product run smooth at some times, but look what is happening now. Can I reinstall 2011 fsecure? Or do i have to throw 2013 fsecure away and lose the money that I paid to buy it? I live in a mountain area. The signal is not robust. Whenever fsecure starts to update it will take me 5 to n10 minutes to turn a lousy page. When the fsecure update fails, which it often does, then I get to look forward to having my internet connection attacked again 1 hour later as fsecure tries to update again. Why don't you trust your customers to make this decision?????? Will you give me my money back, or at least some portion of it so that I can buy a useable product? I am on SS. I do not have a lot of money.
This was eventually fixed by the F-Secure online support team, who accessed my PC remotely. The problem was corrupted files in the fsaua.tmp folder in the Windows temporary folder. This was preventing the autoupdate from accessing the folder. Once the folder was renamed and then deleted everything worked again. Mega kudos to Victor of the F-Secure online support team for fixing this problem for me. I am very relieved!!5 Like
I had a remote tech help me. This worked for awhile, but it can still be a fight to update. This morning I had to spend 23 minutes getting your update. What happens is that the connection will not stay active. I am not sure why but because the update can not be turned off or set to specific hours I end up with an almost daily problem. Just now, I turned on my computer and had to fight for 13 minutes to get a "successful" update. When I say fight, I am describing a continual opening and closing of web pages so that your connection does not fade away. Because when the update fails, "unsuccessful" update, fsecure then reconnects one minute later. So I have learned to fight to finish the fricking update so that I can then use my computer. Today I had to fight for 36 minutes.
Since my last post on Friday, the update service has worked quite a bit better. Somehow my complaint seems to have triggered a reaction. Almost every update runs smoothly now. Although on Sunday, the update struggled for several hours to complete. The underlying problem is most likely my inexperience with computers, although i think that someone also screws with me. The other day I was taking a 120 mb download. It was coming in steadily, then it failed in the last several mb,s. This has happened before where something cuts me off at the end of a download and I lose the entire time spent downloading. Of course when I am downloading a large file, there is the problem of fsecure update breaking the stream causing the loss of the file download. On top of that, I live in a weak signal area, 2 bars is typical. Also, I do not have any extra money to make the few changes that could help,: I am on a fixed income. The bottom line seems to be that I now have to live with this until I can afford to make a change to another antivirus product.