Ram usage increased tremendously

rajmj9600
rajmj9600 Posts: 21 Enthusiast
edited October 7 in Device Protection

After the 19.6 update the ram usage has risen to over 300 mb. It used to be under 100 mb before.

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,671 Superuser

Hello,

While using this community (for an hour or so) - my usage goes up from 159 MB to around 359 MB. Usually I treat this as a normal condition. For example, the browser consumes many times more (currently twice as much, and initially some GBs of RAM).

Your findings ​​and changes - are they stable in their performance? Or does F-Secure hosting service also reduce its influence during idle or without much load? I have always thought that some F-Secure services themselves will consume more RAM resources depending on the need of other programs or activities in the system (since F-Secure must respond to all this).

And some logging, maybe optimizing post-update things, checking and updating statistics counters and so on. Maybe sometimes it happens more often/more intensely.

Are you experiencing some slowdown in system performance due to this?

Thanks!

• rajmj9600
    edited October 15

As per my observation, that's not the case. I mean with more running apps in the background is not the only time when ram usage goes up, in an idle state as well ram usage can rise.

Similarly, with more running apps in the background, ram usage sometimes falls below 150 mb while on other occasions it can rise above 300mb.

I did not notice any significant performance slowdown although, chrome takes few seconds more to load up which was not the case before.

• rajmj9600

one thing I want to point out.

Using fsecure safe for the past one year on the same computer, same os, same ram and everything.

The combined ram usage by all fsecure processes used to be as low as 60 mb. Fsecure used to be a "32bit" software but from the version 19.4 or 19.5 they made it "64 bit".

Since then I have noticed ram usage spike by one particular fsecure process called "ultralight hoster" or something like that.

now most of the time the ram usage is over 100 mb and sometimes it even crosses over 200 mb.

Although I don't think i have noticed any performance lag.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,671 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response and feedback.

I can say that our experience regarding RAM consumption is probably generally the same. I mean, when I tried to look at it in recent days - it's mostly in the range between 150MB and 450MB for 'normal' non-heavyload system use (where the peak would most often be around 370, and the average/most frequent around 170). And depends on the recent way of using / utilising F-Secure application.

The combined ram usage by all fsecure processes used to be as low as 60 mb. Fsecure used to be a "32bit" software but from the version 19.4 or 19.5 they made it "64 bit".

Yes. And, perhaps, this transition to 64bit will mean a bit of increase there too.

Therefore, I think that such values ​​are within acceptable limits and correspond to the current application design (and its capabilities). However, there are various discussions on the topic of both increased RAM usage and “more often” CPU usage. Sometimes such cases may concern some problems, even leaks, and then are fixed.

And the reason of particular F-Secure Ultralight Hoster (WithSecure plugin hosting service) / System is perhaps because it is main one / core process as I suppose.

I would consider situations where the impact on the system is too noticeable (and especially in situations where there is no obvious load or use) to be problematic. And also, maybe, if increased or high RAM consumption is something stable; For example, the value does not change downward, but only grows; or reaches a certain peak too quickly.

When we talk about value (around 200MB) - this is probably the current figure. Especially for a cyber security solution. And I don't think using a lot of RAM is that bad. As long as there is room for other applications to use it.

Also, I do (often?) reboot my system. Perhaps, on a modern system where fast startup is default - performance difficulties could be related to this too.

Thanks!

• TVC15
    TVC15 Posts: 50 Active Engager

"I can say that our experience regarding RAM consumption is probably generally the same. I mean, when I tried to look at it in recent days - it's mostly in the range between 150MB and 450MB for 'normal' non-heavyload system use (where the peak would most often be around 370, and the average/most frequent around 170). And depends on the recent way of using / utilising F-Secure application".

@rajmj9600 the above by Ukko is where I'm at as well. I do not notice any performance hit. It's still one of the most stable AV's I used, so I'm no to worried about it.

Cheers

F-Secure Total v19.6 on 4 Windows PC's and Android. Also, using the free version of Glasswire, just to monitor any apps. 1st outbound connection.

• JOnes
    JOnes Posts: 635 Forum Champion

Nowadays, I am less often bothered by the excessive memory usage of processes, I am more concerned about computers that from time to time downright hiss, as safe as they are...😀