Master password and link code, a word of warning.

_jon_
_jon_ Posts: 5 Explorer

Ok, so I messed up.

I have id.protection as part of the TOTAL-subscription and have it installed on both my phone and my laptop. I migrated to a new laptop and erased the ssd on my previous one.

I then installed id.protection on my new laptop and was about to get my link-code from the app on my phone. As it turns out I had not opened it for a while, it had updated, and consequently logged me out. Now I don't have a single device logged in to id.protection, so no possibility to get a link code. I probably have the master password saved, and maybe the qr-code somewhere, but if I won't be able to find it I assume that there is no way to recover the passwords?

The wisdom of the story is: Check your app before you update. As on older f*rt I've locked myself out of so many systems that I have a separate backup of my backups, so nothing is lost except time and some hair.

Accepted Answer

• PawełP
    PawełP Posts: 310 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @_jon_

Thank you very much for your post and the description of the situation that happened to you.

Your tip about QR-code is very valuable. We encourage you to generate a QR-code after setting up the master password or after changing it every time and keep it in a safe place. It helps to retrieve the master password if you forget it. If you forget the master password and do not have the code, you will not be able to regain access to your Password Vault.

Additionally, we would like to remind you that when reinstalling our program on a Windows device and a macOS device, we recommend that you use the export of passwords from the Password Vault. This allows you to store your passwords and re-import them should synchronization with other devices not be possible.

You can find more on this topic at this link: Exporting Password Vault data | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

Thanks again for raising this issue on our forum.

Have a good one.

Pawel

Making every digital moment secure, for everyone

Pricing & Product Info