Why fsecure browser extension blocking ads even when adblocker off?

Options
rajmj9600
rajmj9600 Posts: 18 Enthusiast

Why is f secure browser extension blocking ads on websites when the adblock is turned off in the antivirus itself?

Websites show ads when I disable the browser extension.

I am on Google chrome.

I have uploaded two screenshots as an evidence.

The problem is some website that don't work with adblockers on might not open on my browsers.

Following are the version numbers

fsecure safe - 19.4

fsecure browser extension - 5.5.13

chrome - 125.0.6422.61

windows 11 pro 23h2

I am ready to send diagnostic data if needed.

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,784 Community Manager
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @rajmj9600

Thank you for your reply.

Could you provide us with more details on what is not working on that website? From the screenshot, we see that you have turned off the ad blocker for both websites. Ads are showing on https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/, but not on Outlook at https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/. Is that correct?

There are a few reasons why ads might not be showing even after the ad blocker is turned off.

1. Ad Blocker Caching: Some ad blockers cache settings, and changes may not take effect immediately. It might take a browser restart or a page refresh for changes to be applied.
    2. Website Ad Configuration: Some websites have complex ad configurations that might require specific conditions to show ads, such as user location, browser type, or cookies. If these conditions are not met, ads might not display even if the ad blocker is turned off.
    3. Ad Server Issues: If the ad servers that provide the ads are down or experiencing issues, the ads won't display regardless of the ad blocker status.
    4. Ad Blocker Residual Effects: Some ad blockers leave behind settings or modifications that continue to block ads even after the blocker is turned off. Clearing your browser's cache and cookies can help.
    5. Ad Inventory: Sometimes, there might not be available ads to display. Ad networks may not always have ads to serve to every user, depending on the demand and supply of ads.

Here are some steps to troubleshoot:

1. Refresh the Page: Sometimes, simply refreshing the page can help load the ads.
    2. Clear Cache and Cookies: Clearing the browser cache and cookies can ensure that no residual settings are affecting ad display.
    3. Restart Browser: Restarting the browser can help apply the changes made by turning off the ad blocker.
    4. Check Network Issues: Ensure that there are no network issues affecting the loading of ad content.

Thank you, and have a lovely day.

Answers

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @rajmj9600

Thank you for your post.

May I confirm that you are visiting Outlook on the web when you encounter this issue? Are there any other websites where you experience this problem?

Additionally, could you try disabling the adblocker on the specific website? We have added a new feature to the extension configuration that allows you to disable the adblocker for certain websites without turning it off completely in the settings.

To do this, click on the extension icon at the top right corner of Chrome and select Browsing Protection by F-Secure. Then, click on the slider to turn off the adblocker for the specific website.

Please let me know how it goes, and we will be happy to provide further assistance if needed.

Thank you, and have a good day.

• rajmj9600
    Options

@Firmy first of all sorry for replying really late.

I face the problem (mentioned already above) with not just outlook but all the websites.

And the "ad blocking features for each website" as you mentioned is not available with my version of the browser extension. Screenshots pasted below.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @rajmj9600

We have released a new version of the F-Secure app, version 19.5, and the extension is now at version 5.6.2. Could you please ensure you have received the update and confirm if you can turn off the ad blocker on a specific website? This feature was introduced in version 19.3.

If you are still not seeing this function, please remove the extension and install it again.

We look forward to your response.

Thank you, and have a good day.

• rajmj9600
    edited June 27
    Options

@Firmy updates:

my browser extension is already version 5.6.2

my problem has been resolved. Browsers can now load ads when the the adblocker is turned off.

however, 'ad block for individual website' feature is still missing.

my fsecure version is 19.4. all screenshots are pasted below.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @rajmj9600

I noticed that you are still using an older version (19.4). We have released a new version (19.5). Please ensure that both your operating system and the app are up-to-date to ensure compatibility and bug fixes.

however, 'ad block for individual website' feature is still missing.

To enable the Ad blocker feature in the extension, you will need to turn it on in the settings. Please follow the instructions provided in this link to enable the Ad blocker.

Thank you, and have a great day.

• rajmj9600
    Options

@Firmy thank you so much. I am new to f-secure.

today is 28 june and just today my 'f-secure safe' is automatically updated to version 19.5. It did not prompt me to restart computer but I still did restart it.

and my browser extension is already 5.6.2, Now I can block or allow ads on an individual site although It does not work with some sites such as outlook. With some other websites it works.

screenshots pasted below.

• rajmj9600
    Options

@Firmy i simply turned off ad blocker from the

app. problem is resolved now.

that ad blocking featuring is problamatic. even restarting browser or clearing cache and cookies didn't help.

everything working fine now with my fsecure safe.

Pricing & Product Info