Windows 11: Freedome replaced by F-Secure

Options
Greydutch
Greydutch Posts: 4 Observer
edited April 28 in F-Secure VPN

Hello,

Yesterday I was summoned to deinstall the Freedome App and to install the F-Secure App instead. The reasons given are not very clear (all of a sudden: end of life?). I have a valid subscription until the end of this year.

Anyway, I did as I was told, but I now have two issues:

• The new programme starts whenever I start Windows although I unchecked this option in the settings.
  • Once started there is no option to end the programme, the menu just does not provide it! This is really strange.

As it appears a programme named fshoster64.exe is running in the background. This is something I do not want, as I only intend to use Freedome/F-Secure occasionally.

Is there a remedy for these two issues?

Many thanks!

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,712 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @Greydutch

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your feedback.

The new programme starts whenever I start Windows although I unchecked this option in the settings.]

Could you please confirm if you're referring to the "Automatic VPN protection" feature? If so, could you try turning off the VPN, deselecting the option, and then closing the app? Afterward, please restart your device and check if the option remains disabled and if the VPN connection is established upon restarting. Ideally, the VPN should not automatically turn on.

Once started there is no option to end the programme, the menu just does not provide it! This is really strange.

We understand that there isn't a shortcut in the system tray to easily turn off or quit the app like F-Secure Freedome VPN. However, we appreciate your feedback on improving the app's functionality. You can explore and vote for ideas that resonate with you by visiting this link.

As it appears a programme named fshoster64.exe is running in the background. This is something I do not want, as I only intend to use Freedome/F-Secure occasionally.

For troubleshooting purposes, we recommend using the Uninstallation tool to remove the app completely and then reinstalling it. Once done, please verify if the issue persists. Detailed instructions can be found in this link.

Additionally, please be informed that our team is actively addressing this issue. You can stay updated by referring to this link for further details.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• Greydutch
    Options

Hello Firmy,

Thank you for your quick reply. No, the VPN function does not start automatically, but the F-Secure programme does, as I can tell from the icon in the taskbar. As said, a programme named fshoster64.exe is then running in the background. This is not something I want! For one thing: it has a negative effect on another programme I use frequently.

Furthermore, it is not possible to close F-Secure. This is the first time I encounter a programme that does not offer such an option. How can this be?

I deinstalled the programme and then reinstalled it, but both issues persist. Please let me know how they can be solved.

Furthermore, I do not understand why Freedome was terminated all of a sudden and was replaced by another programme that has these flaws. I really would welcome an explanation for this.

Many thanks for your help!.

• oqwgvm
    oqwgvm Posts: 1 New Member
    Options

The new app needs these Freedome features:

• Ability to turn the whole software off from task bar. There was an option in Freedome: Exit. Why would you remove it?
    • Ability to disable automatic startup of F-secure
    • Ability to see from the taskbar icon if VPN is on or off
    • Ability to turn VPN on or off quickly from the taskbar context menu

All of these were possible in Freedome.

It is insane F-secure would push this update and degrade the UX like this.

I am going to unsubscribe unless these are fixed ASAP.

• siramic
    siramic Posts: 116 Adventurer
    edited May 3
    Options

I agree, that's why as a Total user for the last year plus, I had a subscription for a stand alone VPN for some of the reasons you mentioned. Since I use a VPN less frequently these days, I just bear with it (Total VPN) for now. When my Total subscription expires and if things haven't changed for the better, I'll possibly go to Internet Security and buy a standalone VPN again.

• Greydutch
    Options

I am pleased to see that I am not the only one to have these problems.

@oqwgvm Thank you for summarizing these four issues. And an additional question would be why Freedome was killed and replaced by a new programme with several bugs.

As this is the official F-Secure forum I trust that we will soon receive an official notification and that the problems will be solved.

• Greydutch
    Options

@Firmy
    When may I expect to hear from you? The problems as described in this thread are very basic and need to be solved quickly. I understand that you work for F-Secure and was epecting to hear from you with some real input. It is not sufficient to say that you team is actively looking at them. Thank you.

Product & Pricing Info