How is Freedome supposed to be replaced on Chromecast with Google TV?

Options
Larynx
Larynx Posts: 25 Enthusiast

Hi,
How is Freedome supposed to be replaced by the new app on the Chromecast with Google TV? I got the "announcement" once but it was impossible to do anything on the "My F-secure site" that appeared since there was this big "download" banner that covered almost the whole site and that couldn't be closed with the remote. The remote buttons affected only the site in the background. So you couldn't see where to click. I was was blindly trying find the "this device" link without any luck. The replacement announcement hasn't appeared a second time yet. I also checked if I could download the new app from Google Play but it wasn't available for Chromecast with Google TV, only Freedome is available. Could it be sideloaded somewhere? :)

What to do?

And btw, about Freedome on Chromecast with Google TV, every time you start the device and Freedome has been left on when closing (and it's checked to start on system start-up), Chromecast is unable to establish a wifi connection. It says that "VPN is connected" but "no internet connection". You always have to shut down the VPN connection, manually connect to a wifi network (sometimes it establishes the connection automatically after the VPN is disconnected) and then start the VPN connection again. This has never happened on any other platform.

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @Larynx

Thank you for your post.

We would like to inform you that F-Secure Freedome VPN is approaching its end of life and will no longer receive updates after May 22nd, 2024. Consequently, we cannot assure you that the app will continue to function optimally or provide the same level of device protection as before. For further details, please consult the following link: Standalone Freedome VPN reaching End of Life

Additionally, we regret to inform you that the new app is not currently supported on Android TV OS. We understand the importance of this compatibility. For ongoing updates regarding this matter, please refer to the following link.

We appreciate your understanding and patience during this transition period. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thank you for your continued support, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• Larynx
    Options

So you're saying that the Chromecast with Google TV will possible no longer be a supported device or that you're working on it and that it will get a supported app before May 22th?

• Larynx
    Options

The replacement announcement popped up again now I was able to get rid of the update banner in the way and was able to see the whole My F-secure page. The installation process was similar to other devices but the "Download from Play Store" link didn't work since the new app isn't available in the store for this particular device. Why does this update thing even appear on this device if you're not able to install it?

Freedome worked just fine on Chromecast with Google TV so why wouldn't this one too, and on TVs with Android/Google TV. Or is it still in the works? If I'm not able to use same subscription (VPN) on all my devices, I'll find another provider whose software works on all my devices (PC, MAC, Android phone, iPhone, iPad, Chromecast with Google TV). And since it works on Android phones and tablets, there's no reason to exclude Google TV devices.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @Larynx

Thank you for your comment.

We want to inform you that currently, the new app is not compatible with Android TV OS, and there are no immediate plans to support this platform. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Regarding the upgrade banner prompting users to transition to the new app, we recognize that you're unable to proceed due to the unavailability of the upgrade on Android TV OS. We sincerely regret any frustration this may have caused since the upgrade are meant for all F-Secure Freedome VPN users.

As an alternative solution, you might consider utilizing the VPN solely on your mobile device while casting content to your TV. This would allow you to enjoy VPN protection on your mobile device while still broadcasting content to your TV. To facilitate this setup, you can designate your network as trusted following the instructions provided in this guide.

We value your feedback on this proposal and encourage you to share your thoughts with us. If you require further assistance or have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help.

Thank you for your understanding, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• Larynx
    Options

Okay, but that is really not a solution. You know that if you're watching a geo-restricted content on your phone with VPN on, you cannot cast that stream to a Chromecast thru wifi as your phone and the Chromecast can't communicate with each other because of the VPN tunnel on your phone (they are no longer in the same network). The only option would be screen casting and that's not 2024. And when I'm in a place with a TV but not a wifi, I can just plug in the Chromecast with Google TV in the TV and connect it to a hotspot on my phone, and voila, I have turned even an old non-smart TV into a full-fledged Google TV. In these cases casting is not even an option since there is no common wifi network for my phone and the Chromecast.

The whole idea with the Chromecast with Google TV and all TVs with Android TV/Google TV operating system is that you have all the apps available directly on your TV and you can control everything with the remote control. TVs and media players with Android/Google are more and more common nowadays, and you decide to dump this platform even though you already had a working product for them (Freedome). I don't get it.

But I'll find another VPN provider as there's a lot to choose from.

Thanks for your answers anyway!

• Larynx
    Options

For those who don't know, the Chromecast with Google TV is nothing like the older Chromecasts even though it still has the casting feature. It's first and foremost a full-fledged media player with an Android operating system, just like any other Android TV box. And with sideloading made possible, in addition to officially supported apps from Google Play Store, you install loads of "unofficial" apps on it.

• Larynx
    Options

Just out of curiosity I went and installed Total (F-secure VPN) on my Google TV with Chromecast. It seems to work just fine, though the user experience, when it comes to the UI, is not that good since the graphics are for Android phones and you can't automatically get a D-pad icon of the app directly on the home screen. However you can create on yourself. But with mouse toggle installed I'm now able to click on everything with the remote. I know this is totally unsupported but hopefully I'm able to use it this way after May 22th until my licenses run out.

Product & Pricing Info