Standalone Freedome VPN reaching End of Life

Options
Firmy
Firmy Posts: 1,702 Community Manager

Hello Cybersecurity Enthusiast,

It is with a heavy heart that we share the news of the standalone F-Secure Freedome VPN reaching its end of life after May 22nd, 2024 😢. This decision means that these products will no longer protect your devices or receive updates beyond this date.

However, we have been hard at work to ensure a smooth transition. The F-Secure app, introduced in February 2023, will replace the old product, with the transition scheduled to commence on April 24th, 2024. The best part? There's no need to worry about additional costs, as your existing subscription will seamlessly transfer to the new product, preserving any remaining duration.

Please note that the new product does not support subscriptions purchased through mobile app stores.

For further details, please visit the following link:

We understand that this change may come as a surprise, however, please know that we're here to support you every step of the way. Should you have any inquiries or concerns, feel free to reach out to us. Your satisfaction and security remain our top priorities.

Thank you for being a valued member of the F-Secure community. Your trust and loyalty mean the world to us.

Tagged:

Comments

• fagerholm2010
    fagerholm2010 Posts: 1 New Member
    Options

I have a code!

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @fagerholm2010

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your comment.

You can redeem the code through your My F-Secure account. If you haven't created an account yet, you can easily register for a trial account by following this link.

After registering, you can use the code to activate your subscription and install the new F-Secure app. For step-by-step instructions, please refer to this guide.

Should you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help!

Thank you and have a great day.

• tedarin
    tedarin Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

Hi!

Got an e-mail of Freedome VPN ending.

I was going to update to the new product, but then the install program wanted to uninstall "Withsecure Element Agent". This is a no go, company computer…

I only need the VPN, nothing else, is there an alternative for this?

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @tedarin

We understand that this change may bring challenges for you, and we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to improve our services. Unfortunately, using the new F-Secure program alongside WithSecure Element is currently not possible.

If you have WithSecure Element installed on your computer, please be aware that it's not compatible with the new F-Secure app. After April 24th, 2024, new installations or renewals of old applications will not be possible. Additionally, existing installations will no longer receive updates after May 22nd, 2024.

We regret for any inconvenience this may cause. We highly value your patience and understanding during this transition period, and we are committed to assisting you at every step.

Thank you and have a good day.

• teaneedz
    teaneedz Posts: 16 Enthusiast
    edited April 25
    Options

How do I obtain a refund even if I'm past 30 days?

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @teaneedz

We're here to assist you with this matter. I've sent you a private message. Could you please reply with the necessary details to facilitate the process? Thank you, and have a great day.

• JanneBl
    JanneBl Posts: 4 Observer
    Options

I bought a 2 year subscription to freedom in October 2023 that I use on my Nvidia shild and on my mobile and on my widow's computer. But it is not possible to update to the new version on my Nvidia Shild and the answer I got from support was that it will not work to update either now or later. I think it was bad not to inform about this upgrade and that it will not work on all devices that it has previously worked on.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @JanneBl

We regret to inform you that the new F-Secure app is incompatible with the Android TV OS. That is why you are not able to install it on your Nvidia Shield.

Android OS and Android TV OS are both developed by Google, but they are designed for different types of devices and user experiences. The NVIDIA Shield uses Android TV OS. It's specifically designed to run on the NVIDIA Shield and other Android TV devices, offering a TV-friendly interface optimized for larger screens and remote control navigation. Below is the breakdown of the differences between the Android OS and Android TV OS:

Android OS (Mobile)

• Designed For: Smartphones and tablets
    • App Compatibility: Supports a wide range of mobile apps
    • Features: Touchscreen optimized, includes mobile-specific features like calling and texting

Android TV OS

• Designed For: TVs and larger screens
    • App Compatibility: Only apps optimized for Android TV work
    • Features: TV-friendly interface, live TV integration, voice search

Why Some Apps Don't Work on Android TV

• Optimization: Apps need to be TV-optimized to work well
    • User Experience: Touchscreen apps aren't easy to navigate with a remote
    • Hardware: TV devices may lack some mobile hardware features

In summary, while Android OS is designed for mobile devices with touchscreens, Android TV OS is tailored for larger screens and remote-controlled navigation. The differences in user interface, app compatibility, and features mean that some apps that work on Android OS may not be compatible with Android TV OS due to optimization and user experience considerations.

If you need more information or assistance, please let us know. Thank you for your understanding, and we regret any inconvenience caused. Have a great day.

• JanneBl
    Options

But that's no problem with the current Freedom app, it works great and is downloadable from Google play for Nvidia Shild.

• tedarin
    tedarin Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

It's seems that the new F-secure app is still not ready to be released.

Maybe push back the Freedome VPN deadline until you've got all things sorted? (other security programs/AndroidOS TV etc…)

• TJRYAN22
    TJRYAN22 Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

Hi. When I tried transitioning from Freedome to the F-Secure app, it asks of me to buy a new license since my F-Secure Total is in use on my laptop. Why is this the case? Previously at Freedome, it allows me to use the same F-Secure account as my laptop account to access the VPN function, but now I need another license just to access the VPN function I have on my first license? Is this a new monetization scheme or will cross platform use be implemented as the F-Secure Total supposingly works on up to 3 devices.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @TJRYAN22

Upon reviewing your subscription, we have noticed that it is currently valid for only one device. It appears that you have already installed the new app on your laptop, utilizing the available license.

If you wish to use the app on additional devices, such as your mobile device, we recommend purchasing additional licenses to accommodate your needs.

Should you require further assistance or have any questions regarding your subscription or licensing options, please feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help and ensure you have a seamless experience with our product.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope you have a wonderful day.

• Miksi_numer0
    Miksi_numer0 Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

I am using F-secure VPN alongside WithSecure EDR & EPP as that does not provide a VPN. Now, whilst trying to install the New App the installer says that WithSecure would need to be uninstalled for F-secure to work. Clearly, that would be a company security policy violation.

Is there a way for the F-secure New App VPN capability and WithSecure Elements to co-exist? Or will you provide money back for the remaining duration of the service that can no longer be delivered?

• SiilasmanenRipe69
    SiilasmanenRipe69 Posts: 3 Observer
    Options

I purchased one year licence to Freedome last august, but now My F-Secure says that "Your subscription has expired."

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @SiilasmanenRipe69

It appears there may be a slight confusion with your login. After reviewing your subscription details, it appears you have two accounts. One of these is a trial account that expired in August 2023, while the other remains active. To ensure smooth access, we suggest logging in with the appropriate email address linked to your active subscription.

Should you need any further assistance or clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help! Thank you for your attention to this matter, and we wish you a pleasant day ahead.

• SiilasmanenRipe69
    Options

I have used this email/account with freedome since 2017 (same email that i use here in the forums). It all went downhill last year, when F-secure/cleverbridge stopped sending license keys and forced to link purchase to f-secure account. Receipt from cleverbridge shows my purchase history all the way from 2017. Latest was 18.8.2023.

• Firmy
    Options

Hello @SiilasmanenRipe69

Thank you for your reply.

The email address linked to your F-Secure Community account and your My F-Secure account was created in May 2023.

I have sent you a private message. Kindly share your reference number with me, and I will provide you with the email address associated with the correct account.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a pleasant day.

• SiilasmanenRipe69
    Options

Thanks you very much, this solved my problems. All the receipts goes different email vs my latest purchase was linked to other email/account!

• JanneBl
    Options

When I try to mirror the image from my computer to my TV, it doesn't work when F-Secure VPN is on. I'm using LG Screen Share on TV and connecting to a wireless monitor from windows 11.

I'm using an ASUS router RT-AC86U.

I've set up exceptions in F-Secure for traffic that goes on the local network.

This doesn't help, I can't get it to work. But when I close the VPN, it works.

• Konrad76
    Konrad76 Posts: 1 New Member
    Options

Hello community, I've used Internet Security and Freedome VPN on my computer until now. The new VPN-Software can't be installed due to an error: The installer replies the Software is already on your computer, although I uninstalled Freedome after some attempts.

After searching for a while, I found on the product page that Internet Security needs to be upgraded to Total if I want to use it together with the new VPN:

f-secure.com/en/vpn

I have F‑Secure Internet Security or ID Protection and a subscription
    code for F‑Secure VPN (previously called FREEDOME VPN) that I want to
    take into use. What do I need to do?

But the following description for the upgrade doesn't work, because I can't enter the VPN product code in my "My F-Secure" account anywhere. I have a two-year license for Internet Security and the earliest date I'm allowed to enter a new license code is by April 2025.

Any idea to help this? Thanks in advance 🙂.

• TJRYAN22
    TJRYAN22 Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

SO what you are saying is Fsecure is cutting out our free VPN extension that is accessible to all mobile platforms when we already have an existing subscription regardless of device number and replacing it with a service that requires one new subscription per device or a subscription that covers multiples devices (not only laptops but mobile phones and tablets too), with no way to change the subscription midway!!??

Bold Strategy of FSecure to squeeze our money this way, especially when the replacement is a half bake mess!!!

• MichelleC601
    MichelleC601 Posts: 1 New Member
    Options

Hello. I am following the below instructions, but after I have logged in I cannot see the account registration form mentioned in step 2. Please help!

To switch to the new F-Secure app:

1. In the Freedome VPN app, select the Activate new app link in the end-of-life notification. The Update to the new F-Secure VPN app page opens.
    2. If you have purchased Freedome VPN from a retail store, you have to create a new account:The license status shown in My F-Secure applies to the new product.
      1. Enter your email address and password in the login form.
      2. Select Log in. The My F-Secure page opens.
      1. Enter your name, email address, and a password in the account registration form.
      2. Select Accept and create account. Once the account has been created, the My F-Secure page opens and you are asked to enter your subscription code.
      3. Enter your subscription code, then select Confirm. You can find your subscription code on the product box, confirmation email, or receipt, depending on where you have bought the product.
    3. Select Add device and follow the on-screen instructions to install the new app on your device.

• maaaaaaaaaaaah
    maaaaaaaaaaaah Posts: 4 Observer
    Options

I hope you can get the new F-secure app compatible with Android TV before the Freedome shutdown!
    Freedome has been working great on Android TV and this change to the F-Secure app is a disappointment to say the least. A fellow Android developer I know said that it should't be too hard to do, but what am I to say about that as I haven't done any android developing myself.

• Alien_R11
    Alien_R11 Posts: 2 Observer
    Options

I've been using F-Secure products for years, and now for the first time I do not know how to proceed without contacting customer support. I have F-Secure FREEDOME installed and in use. Now it has a disclaimer saying that the app is being replaced. I click on the Activate new app button which opens the Update to the new F-Secure VPN page. On the page it tells me to log in, once I'm logged in I see the My F-Secure view with devices and licenses I have. Where do I download the new app? Where do I activate the new app? Really bad user experience and the person who designed this or was responsible of testing should really consider getting a new job.

I won't uninstall existing VPN or free license from an existing device before I have an alternative available and activated.

So, questions:

• Where do I download the new app?
    • Where do I activate the new app?
    • What are the steps to change from FREEDOME to new app, that don't compromise my system?

Product & Pricing Info