VPN protection won't update on Mac Air Sonoma 14.4.1

Options
Larynx
Larynx Posts: 25 Enthusiast

Hi,
I just replaced Freedome on my Mac with the Privacy VPN. The installation went fine and I uninstalled Freedome after that. Now I can start the VPN connection but the security definitions update is just stuck. It says "this can take up to a few minutes" but it's been like this for two days. I've used the computer for hours and shut it down several times. Sometimes after start it says "Updated" but the information is still:
Last successful Security Cloud connection: unknown
Last update check: 1. Jan 1970 at 2:00:00
Next update check: 1. Jan 1970 at 3:00:00

If I start the update manually, it'll just be stuck at "updating" without any change.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software but without any change.

What to do?

Answers

• Larynx
    Options

Here's how it looks after restart. And another thing. I've toggled the browsing protection on but after every restart it's unchecked and I have to toggle it on again in the settings.

• Larynx
    Options

And yes, F-Secure is allowed to run in the background (login items).

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @Larynx

Thank you for your post.

Could you please confirm if you used the Uninstallation tool to remove the app? If not, we recommend utilizing this tool for a complete uninstallation. You can find guidance on this process by following the link provided. Additionally, could you inform us of the specific version of F-Secure you are currently utilizing on your Mac?

After uninstalling the app using the tool, please reboot your Mac and proceed with reinstalling the application. We would greatly appreciate it if you could provide us with an update on your progress.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we remain eager to hear back from you. Have a wonderful day.

• Larynx
    Options

Hi,
    I didn't use the uninstall tool the first time because there was no mention of it in the instructions but I suspected that you'd have that kind of a tool and found it. But it said that using it was the last option if you're not able to uninstall the product. So I didn't use it then but now I used it and it didn't seem to solve the problem. The version of the software seems to be 19.5 (61616).

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    edited April 29
    Options

Hello @Larynx

Thank you for your cooperation and feedback.

The issue appears to be from difficulty connecting to our server to receive updates. Could you kindly verify that there are no browser proxies configured? Additionally, could you please try these steps in the provided link? You need not uninstall the application using the Uninstallation tool since you have already completed that step.

Once you have performed these actions, please inform us, and we will be readily available to assist you in resolving this matter.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a pleasant day.

• Larynx
    Options

There are now multiple threads were Mac Sonoma users struggle with this update issue. I'll be watching the development around this issue and will give Total another try after it's solved. Until then I'm back using Freedome. Hopefully it'll get sorted out by the 22th when Freedome is supposed to be dropped. :D

Product & Pricing Info