F-SAFE will not open

Options
shytin
shytin Posts: 2 New Member

I have two PC's. One PC is running Win 10 and the other Win 11. I uninstalled ESET using their own uninstaller twice on each machine.
I then installed F-SAFE on both machines for the first time. F-SAFE never opens after that. A blue circular timer runs on both computers and after two minutes an error message displays "We cannot display the content right now.......try later..... check you have Webview installed" I installed Webview no change. I see the icon on the taskbar and can select updates, events and settings but can't open F-Safe.

Answers

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    edited April 27
    Options

Hello @shytin

Welcome to the F-Secure Community. Thank you for your post.

The root cause of the issue is within the Microsoft component WebView2. The issue was confirmed by Microsoft and fixed in the latest version. For some reason, Webview2 is not up-to-date on users' devices. You can follow the workaround below to fix the issue:

1. Uninstall the current Webview2 by going to Settings > Apps & features > Search for WebView2 > Uninstall
    2. Once the uninstallation is successful, install the latest version following the link https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/
    3. Or you may refer to this link.

Please let us know if you require further assistance and we would be happy to assist you.

Thank you and have a good day.

• shytin
    shytin Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

Well well very interesting. Your web link gives me the same version of webview2 that I had already tried. However I took a closer look this time at the web link and noticed it said /microsoft-edge/webview2/. I don't use Microsoft-Edge. I'ts bad news. I have MS-Edge blocked on both my computers.

So I unblocked Edge and re-booted. And Voilà F-Safe opened…. but I did not install the Edge browser extension as shown on the main page.

However by doing so when I go to 'settings' I have no browsing or banking protection unless I install a browser extension from one of the three listed browsers. Is this true. Is F-SAFE only compatible with these three browsers?
    If true then I cannot use your anti-virus.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,710 Community Manager
    Options

Hello @shytin

Thank you for your comment.

Microsoft Edge WebView2 is a component that allows us to embed web content in our applications using the Microsoft Edge browser's rendering engine. It enables applications to display web-based content within our native interfaces, offering a seamless user experience.

Even though it's called "Microsoft Edge" WebView2, it's not just for Edge users. It works with any Windows desktop app, regardless of which browser you prefer for your regular web browsing. So, you can enjoy the benefits of the Edge browser engine without actually having to use Edge as your main browser.

At our end, we prioritize your online security and seamless browsing experience. To ensure utmost protection, we officially support the use of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers. These platforms are equipped with robust browsing and banking protection features designed to safeguard your online activities.

While it's possible that enabling similar features on other Chromium-based browsers may work, we cannot guarantee their functionality. For detailed guidance, we encourage you to consult our comprehensive online guide.

Should you need any further clarification or assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to help.

Wishing you a pleasant and secure browsing experience,

Pricing & Product Info