Sharing a password vault between two windows accounts on the same computer

Options

Hi,

TL;DR Is it possible to use the same password vault with two different windows accounts?

I tried to find a ready answer to my question but couldn't find exact one so here goes mine:

I have two user accounts for myself in windows 11 PC. One account is the administrator and the other one is my "daily driver" with only regular windows user rights.

I have one f-secure account which I use to manage my subscription and to login to here for example.

I want to use the same password vault for both of the windows accounts, not two separate ones. I do not mind using two f-secure licenses if required, I just want to be able to use my passwords no matter which windows user account I'm using.

Setting up f-secure total with the 1st windows user account goes just fine but I'm unable to login to f-secure total with the same f-secure credentials when logged in to the computer with the 2nd windows user account.

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    edited February 25 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for my suggestions (unofficial and not-tried-by-myself). And since your mention of F-Secure TOTAL app (rather than only F-Secure IDP).

TL;DR Is it possible to use the same password vault with two different windows accounts?

I think it is a bit of out of design. But, perhaps, if you will try manually 'copy' and re-use storage (so to speak, encrypted .json-file) it may do the trick. The file is stored in your local user profile (AppData). Although this will almost certainly disrupt normal functioning and so on. And this will be just a one-time action without any further synchronization.

Perhaps some tricks can be applied so that both user system accounts and, accordingly, storage paths (in the F-Secure application) look at the same generic / global place in fact. But I don’t think this is a reliable option and may not be very easy to implement on your own.

So, I would suggest next thing (especially even if an extra licence is not a trouble):

Setting up f-secure total with the 1st windows user account goes just fine but I'm unable to login to f-secure total with the same f-secure credentials when logged in to the computer with the 2nd windows user account.

While discussing at (Two accounts on the same device (Windows 10) - Passwords — F-Secure Community) - I found that even if you will login with the second user account as invited user - it will not consume an extra licence. In the mentioned topic - related guides and how-to are provided.

So, my suggestion is: to create a subuser ("to invite" user in My F-Secure portal) and to use this account/credentials for login in F-Secure application with second Windows account.

Perhaps, with this set-up you can try to 'sync' both storages / instances of Password Vault between each other (either way). By sync, I mean exactly this feature: Connecting devices to sync your Password Vault data across all your devices | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

I don't think why this would be unacceptable. If this way is possible to do - then the result is two synced storages (Password Vault). Despite the fact that they will be "two" storages, but synced in one. Very close to your original desire of "sharing a password vault between two windows accounts on the same computer".

I am not sure, but if you will decided to login in app (with second Windows account) as by using child-profile (which is another option) - sync between storages maybe still available.

If somehow the sync code isn't accepted, well.. that's a little strange (technically).

Thanks!

Pricing & Product Info