Asking to set up browser extension for Chrome macOS, already installed

Options

I got a message popping up that my Chrome browser extension needs to be set up. Fact is that it is already installed a while ago and up to date. It this false positive a know issue?

Made a screenshot of the F-secure software and Chrome web browser, what is shown when I press "Set up". I can not see any action for me to undertake.

Accepted Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

At least, for Windows client, there is difficulty with multi-profile usage. Something like this:

Quote: """If you have multiple instances of the browser, make sure all instances have the extension installed or not installed. If you have multiple profiles in a browser, make sure all profiles have the extension installed or not installed. Having mixed states can sometimes confuse the logic."""

Can you check this point?

// Alternatively, what's happened after using "Set up" button?

Also, you can try to dismiss ('do not show again' checkbox) as a workaround. So, it will be hidden task then.

As such, you could also try to verify that your browser with F-Secure BP extension is functioning right. For example, you see "search rating logos" under Google Search, Bing Search, Yahoo Search or DuckDuckGo for search results.

Banking Protection is activated when banking website opened. And so on things.

Thanks!

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 236 F-Secure Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, @Frankhe!

Thanks for the report! Could you please share if the message about missing extension goes away when you restart Google Chrome?

Make sure you quit if fully. Closing the Chrome window would not be enough. One way to close it would be to right-click on the Google Chrome icon in your Dock and select "Quit" in the context menu. Once it's quit, open it again.

Please share if the message on the product side is still visible after that. Thanks!

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

Answers

• Frankhe
    Frankhe Posts: 17 Enthusiast
    Options

Thank you for your answer. The browser extension is working, showing green tics at search results. As far as I know I only have one profile and one browser instance under macOS. The reason I shared this is because there might be more people that have seen this false positive.

• Frankhe
    Options

It is now a couple of weeks later and software got updated. I now have the same false positive back again.

F-secure alerts me with the message: "Your action is required!"

I check the Chrome browser and it is fine, I see the green ticks showing that the extension is working.

Please let me know what other information you need from me to solve the issue with this false positive?

• ArthurVal
    Options

We would need product diagnostics to identify the issue. I've sent a direct message to you.

Let's continue there. Thanks!

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

• Frankhe
    Options

It feels like a false positive that might be triggered by me not restarting Chrome when it "demands" to do a restart in order to perform an update. I which web browsers would not "demand" an update and restart so often. Needing to restore all my tabs again after the restart.

• ArthurVal
    Options

We have identified a few places which could cause a false positive to appear. We will include the fix to the next TOTAL release.

Do you by any chance have multiple browsers running when the false positive message is shown? We did manage to reproduce this behaviour sometimes when at least 2 browsers are starting up around the same time (for example, right after reboot when macOS restores all apps that have been running before reboot).

The handling of cases like this will be improved in the next release.

Best regards, Arthur

Mac R&D Team

Pricing & Product Info