Latest version of F-Secure won't load on Windows 7.

Options
JohnG11
JohnG11 Posts: 2 Observer

Hi, I've been using F-Secure successfully for many years and have an existing, working, licensed copy on my Windows 7 computer. The licence expires in November.

Having just (14th October '23) purchased a two year licence for the latest version (F-Secure-Safe-Network-Installer) to update my copy I'm informed "Check System Requirements - This version of Windows is not supported, please make sure you have the right operating system and service packs installed".

Am I no longer able to get F-Secure protection?

John G.

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

Yes, it is a very unpleasant situation.

I updated the software because the currently installed version kept on and on nagging me that my subscription was about to run out. There was a link to renew it which I followed. At no time did the current version tell me the newest version wouldn't work on Win 7 nor, when I went to the F-Secure site, did it tell me there that Win 7 was no longer supported.

On current day, there is a transition with EoL of old F-Secure IS and F-Secure AV (F-Secure Internet Security and F-Secure Anti-Virus reaching end of sales - F-Secure Community) and so free 'upgrade' to much more powerful solution like F-Secure TOTAL (or 'optionally': new F-Secure Internet Security; known before as F-Secure SAFE). As described there: Switching from the old F-Secure Internet Security or Anti-Virus product to F-Secure Total - F-Secure Community

I think that 'renewal' guide was a part of this change. And it means 'updating' subscription - so the user can utilize it with any of his platform (which is supported by F-Secure software). Probably, because of this - no any specific notifications about Windows 7 unsupported state or something similar.

What about other places: F-Secure websites with some knowledgebase articles, online guides and helps, and solution's pages - where they do a disclaimer about supported platforms or 'coming end of support for a certain platform / solution'.

But, yes, probably that scenario when it is much more reliable to check (somehow) user's system compatibility even before purchasing is a very nice one. Perhaps, now it is assumed that user will check system requirements before any 'financial' action or will decide to try a trial.

What about your certain situation - maybe - someday (at the past) there was a notification / prompt about Windows 7 EoL? I mean, software's notification or maybe email letter about subject? If not - I think it is not so suitable to expect that all users will do read online's resource or official website to know that Windows 7 is no longer supported.

However, I think they reasoning is that Microsoft has stopped support this version even long before. So, partially, Windows 7 users might expect some difficulties about it.

You'd think, before it took one's money, that a check would be done on what was running on the current machine. Some other software does that.

Yes. There is (likely) only a check at installation step. At least, mostly because up-to-date solutions will offer a multi-platform subscription. So, user can install it on a mobile device and so on (but also only on supported operating system version). And, perhaps, purchasing can be made for any other machine or even from a mobile device itself (while intending to use it on laptop or desktop).

Hopefully, F-Secure company probably will happily assist with a refund and this sort of things. Being a rather user-friendly company (even if the refund should be processed by their partners Cleverbridge).

A shame, because I've been using this software for many years.

Indeed. It is will be good if you find a way to secure your system and stay enjoyable with online use.

Just to note: that since Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft anymore - it is really a bit of tricky to use it. I will recommend to be a bit more carefully. And to pay attention on any suspicious activities in system. Most likely it is still perfectly fine system and can be safely used, but anyway.

Sorry for my English!

Thanks!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Am I no longer able to get F-Secure protection?

Well, Windows 7 is not supported since 14.08.2023 as explained there:

Also, Windows 7 is not listed in supported platforms on its F-Secure Internet Security page and System Requirements part of Online Help:

It is not really a fault from you, but it is always better to check system requirements before purchasing any software. Of course, F-Secure website may make system requirements a bit more noticeable at each step of purchase process. I am not sure how situation with that is now.

Announce of discounting support was beforehand: When will F-Secure home products stop supporting Microsoft Windows 7 Operating System ? - F-Secure Community

The situation is that existing installation may still functioning (however, KB article says that cannot receive any updates since August). What about 'fresh installations' on Windows 7 - I think it was not possible to do already for a while.

So, I think there is a limited possibilities to run any F-Secure solution on Windows 7 now.

However, you can use purchased subscription with any other devices. Or to request a money-back. With any situation, I will recommend to contact their Official support channels (for example, web-chat) there: Contact support | F-Secure

Because Support Agents can deal with any license-based troubles. Also, if your 'old' (previous) installation (a copy) is not uninstalled during your try to update it to fresh F-Secure Internet Security (known before as F-Secure SAFE) - maybe to help with reactivation your license (if there was a partial deactivation in your existed still valid subscription).

Thanks!

• JohnG11
    JohnG11 Posts: 2 Observer
    Options

Hi Ukko,

Many thaks for the reply.

I updated the software because the currently installed version kept on and on nagging me that my subscription was about to run out. There was a link to renew it which I followed. At no time did the current version tell me the newest version wouldn't work on Win 7 nor, when I went to the F-Secure site, did it tell me there that Win 7 was no longer supported.

You'd think, before it took one's money, that a check would be done on what was running on the current machine. Some other software does that.

I'm well past retirement age, and a new computer is out of the question, even if I did want Win 10 or 11.

I have contacted both F-Secure support and Cleverbridge requesting a refund. I guess I'll have to look elesewhere.

A shame, because I've been using this software for many years.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info