How do I unblock a website on my child's phone?

Options
Linser
Linser Posts: 1 New Member

Hi!

So I have the Fsecure app on my child's phone to use for safe browsing, rather than giving him access to safari.

He uses his phone in school for various activities but can't get into www.blooket.com. he tries to log in with his school google ID but it says "you shouldn't surf here" because it is restricted by family rules.

I have added www.blooket.com and accounts.youtube.com to the exceptions in the main controls on my laptop but that doesn't seem to work. When I go into his device on the management section, most things are blocked but there seems no way to unblock a specific site, so I unchecked social networks and tried to log in to blooket once again via his google account. Now it just goes round and round forever (on wifi and 4g) saying "one moment please" and never goes any further. Same on my own phone if I try on it.

Any ideas please?

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,624 Superuser
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user.

He uses his phone in school for various activities but can't get into www.blooket.com. he tries to log in with his school google ID but it says "you shouldn't surf here" because it is restricted by family rules.

Looks like id.blooket.com is uncategorized/unrated/unknown-content category, at least.

It may be a reason for blocking - if your set-up with inclusion of "Unknown"-category.

So, one way is to report this URL (subdomain) via F-Secure SAS: Submit a sample | F-Secure

you can tick an option "I want to give more details about.." to have more control over feedback after re-rating. And it is useful to explain in comment-field that this domain is blocked at the stage of login (or something). Additionally, to make a request double-check that entire resource will be accessible for a designated purpose.

// I also tried to request re-rating via F-Secure Browsing Protection addon via my browser (I am not sure if it will be helpful, so - better to use F-Secure SAS and to provide more details to F-Secure Labs).

I have added www.blooket.com and accounts.youtube.com to the exceptions in the main controls on my laptop but that doesn't seem to work. 

Yes, it will work only for your laptop.

However, if there will be a need to use websites exclusions on child's Windows machine - then I will suggest to allow 'blooket.com' (instead of inclusion "www."; just in case).

So I unchecked social networks and tried to log in to blooket once again via his google account. Now it just goes round and round forever (on wifi and 4g) saying "one moment please" and never goes any further. Same on my own phone if I try on it.

Since your description and screenshots are also about 'youtube'. Perhaps, you can try to uncheck "Streaming"-category also.

However, when you wrote "same on my own phone if I try on it" - did you mean that no any restrictions there? If so, maybe blooket was not accessible at the time of your tries? For better understanding - it is good to know about routine with checking on your own phone - did you try SAFE browser there? Or browsers like Google Chrome?

One point to mention: based on my experiences, F-Secure SAFE Browser shows 'blocking' page mistakenly and temporarily. When network connection is unstable or off; Or when retrieving rating/reputation about domain is rejected (or something like that) - so, in those situations, can be enough to refresh page or re-open blooket-website (to make sure that this is not a suspended continuation).

Thanks!

//

When I go into his device on the management section, most things are blocked but there seems no way to unblock a specific site,

also, there is, at least, one report about improving experience with such situations: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/126588/parental-control-android-web-managed-list-of-allowed-denied-websites-content-blocker-exclusions (if proposed suggestions are okay for you - you can vote it for more attention from developers).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info