F-Secure unresolved licensing bug unresolved over many years
I have Internet Security with 5 licenses. I have had it for Suddenly I can only see 4 supported and I get the paraphrased message: "You have used up all your licenses" when I attempt to reconnect the 5th which just recently stopped running FSecure. I have been using this product for many years without change. I have never had a trial copy.
Since I cannot contact support, it is after 6PM here, I came to the community forum only to find that others over many years have suffered the same problem and gotten responses that seem to show a complete lack of understanding of the problem. Then the dicussion has been closed and no resolution posted. In the past, I have had no trouble reallocating licenses to newer devices when older ones are retired. Now I do.
I used to get an account management screen that showed all my devices and allowed me to drop and add authorizations for each device as I chose. Suddenly this is not what I'm seeing. I see a list of 4 devices when there should be 5. I don't see how I can reallocate my paid for security resources from that admin screen.
Interestingly, I just changed the name of one of my devices. FSecure picked up the change, but won't let that device launch FSecure. I sent the authorizing text message to the device. Got the message that I was out of licenses. At the moment, while FSecure shows 4 devices instead of 5, it is only supporting 3.