F-Secure password autofill no longer available for Safari on macOS

Roelof
Roelof Posts: 2 New Member
edited October 2023 in Device Protection

My suite of F-Secure apps (SAFE, ID PROTECTION, FREEDOME) was recently update to F-Secure, which bundles them into one app. Unfortunately, there is apparently no F-Secure extension for Safari on macOS that allows me to use the autofill feature after this upgrade. Also, when I received the message about the upgrade, there was no warning that this would break the autofill feature for Safari, which was available for F-Secure ID PROTECTION. Not good.

I have no plans to change the browser because I have a large number of tab groups in Safari and it is easier to change the password manager than the browser.

When will F-Secure repair the password autofill functionality for Safari on macOS?

Accepted Answer

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,862 Community Manager
    Answer βœ“

Hello @Roelof @Rene204

We regret any inconvenience caused. We would like to inform you that currently, the autofill feature in the F-Secure Total app is not supported in Safari.

As a workaround, we recommend that you use a different browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox if you wish to use this feature. You may visit this link on how to set up the autofill on Google Chrome or Firefox https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-mac/latest/en/task_1D051C0EB8D0421A9AF0A3920D67B401-latest-en. Alternatively, you can manually enter your login information into the F-Secure Total app if you prefer to use Safari.

Our team is aware of this limitation and is working to improve the compatibility of our app with different browsers. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work towards providing the best possible experience for our users.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you and have a good day.

Firmy
    Community Manager | F-Secure Community
    πŸ” Strengthening digital security through knowledge and collaboration
    🌐 Explore our User Guides | Knowledge Base for self-help resources
    πŸ’» Empower yourself with Cybersecurity Insights and protect what matters

Answers

• Firmy

Hello @Roelof

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page. Thank you for your post.

To better assist you with your concern, may I ask for more information about your device and operating system? This will help us provide you with the correct instructions and steps for installing the F-Secure extension for autofill.

In the meantime, I would like to suggest visiting this link: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-mac/latest/en/task_1D051C0EB8D0421A9AF0A3920D67B401-latest-en for a step-by-step guide on how to set up autofill in Safari on macOS.

We hope this helps! Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Firmy

• Rene204
    Rene204 Posts: 13 Observer

Hello, have the same Problem here, after install the Extension, the Extension in Safari want to install the App, and there in the App is no option to install the extension like before.

the extension doesn't see the app and vice versa.

please HELP.

• Rene204

"Update" the Extension want to Install the OLD-App. that isn't working... :(

Installing the Extension like you described is working well, but the Extensions doesn't communicate with the new App.

Deinstalled every Component of F-Secure with Deinstaller-Tool, but reinstalling doesn't help.

Autofill-Externsion for Safari is not working.

• Rene204

Update 2 - Closing the App breaks the running App, only Kill the running App is possible to restart and open the Window again.

• Roelof
    Roelof Posts: 2 New Member

@Firmy

The issue is that when clicking autofill in the new F-Secure app options to activate the browser extension for Chrome and Edge are shown, but not for Safari. In the previous ID PROTECTION app the option for the Safari extension was visible.

Not having the autofill option for Safari is a pain, because it now takes several clicks to copy and paste usernames and passwords from the app to the browser.

(I regret to tell you that I have already switched to another password manager that is properly integrated with Safari)

• Firmy

Hello @Roelof @Rene204

Thank you for the comment.

I am checking this issue with our R&D team. Once I have received feedback from them, I will keep you posted.

Thank you.

Firmy

• Rene204

Hm, that was one, that i have installed F-Secure on my Macs. :(

Ok, but what about freezing the App, if i want to quit F-Secure.app?

Did you seen this too?

• Firmy

Hello @Rene204

Thank you for your comment.

Ok, but what about freezing the App, if i want to quit F-Secure.app?

Could you provide us with more details about this?

Thank you.

Firmy

• Rene204

all what you need....

open the app from menu-bar...

app is running...

close the app from dock -> Quit , nothing happens, right-click with mouse -> Program not responding, Force Quit... (no option to make a picture there).

this every time i try to do...

I have made some more pics from Activity Monitor, but want to post these not here...

If you give me an email address to send them, i will do.

• Rene204

Hello again, still waiting for your Response here.. i can give you more Details like Screenshots and Logfiles, but you have to give me an Email to send this to you. I cannot post this here.

Problem is still actual. App crashed every time i close the App. Habe to Force Quit every Time.

Please HELP.

• Firmy
    edited March 2023

Hello @Rene204

Could you please let me know which macOS version your device is running on? If you're not sure, no worries, I'd be happy to help you find out! Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support (MY)

Additionally, it's always a good idea to make sure your device is up-to-date with the latest macOS updates. Have you had a chance to check for any available updates recently?

If you're experiencing issues with an app, sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling can help. I recommend trying this step first. However, before doing so, I'd recommend exporting or syncing your password vault to another device as a backup. Here are some helpful links to guide you through that process:

Export password vault: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-mac/latest/en/task_6630C28AADDF4746A3021E3FE0900730-latest-en

Sync to another device: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-mac/latest/en/task_74BB1FA8639143ADA6A132BE698BD93D-latest-en

When you're ready to uninstall the app, we have a handy Uninstallation tool that can help. And before you reinstall, it's important to release the license from your F-Secure account so you can reuse it. Here's a guide to walk you through that process:

How do I uninstall F-Secure products using the Uninstallation Tool for Mac? - F-Secure Community

How do I release a license from My F-Secure? - F-Secure Community

Installing F-Secure Total on Mac: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-mac/latest/en/task_CD3A8E6884B5487187B4B4F5DA124BB9-latest-en

Please let me know if you need any further assistance. I'm here to help!

Firmy

• Rene204

Hi, thanks you for your Feedback...

i will tell these Points from a. to ....

a. Running latest Developer Beta on iMac 2017, Ventura 13.3.DP4 (22E5246b), MacMini 2014,Ventura (22E5246b) and Mini2012 Ventura 13.2.1 (Release), all Macs with the same Problem.

b. Updates made, Systems is are up to date.

c. deleted and reinstalled it a few Times, i think 2 or 3 Times. With uninstaller from F-Secure.

d. Followed all your Support-Instructions, but no Luck. Problem is still there.

App crashed every time i close the App. Habe to Force Quit every Time.

• Rene204

HI Firmy, did you sen my Answer?

• Firmy

Hello @Rene204

Thank you for your comment.

Kindly generate an FSDIAG for us to investigate the issue. You may find the instruction here Using the support tool | Total | Latest | F-Secure User Guides

I have sent you a private message, kindly share with me the FSDIAG.

Thank you and have a good day.

Firmy

• ArthurVal
    ArthurVal Posts: 251 F-Secure Product Expert

Hi, @Rene204!

Could you please provide the sample output for the "F-Secure" app when the issue is happening?

You can collect it from the Activity Monitor app.

• Make sure the "F-Secure" app is in the state that you observe when the issue is occurring (hanging/not responding)
    • Select it in the list of running apps
    • Click on the "More" icon (three dots icon)
    • Select "Sample Process" from the drop down menu
    • Click "Save..." in the newly opened window
    • Send the resulted txt file for further analysis

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Arthur

F-Secure Technology, Mac Team

• Rene204

Sent it to Firmy Email, hope that is the right File for You...

• Kingston1
    Kingston1 Posts: 26 F-Secure Employee

That file was exactly what we needed, thanks. Fix coming in one of the next betas.

• Rene204

How to get the Beta? if the Beta is available?

• Firmy

Hello @Rene204

Thank you for your interest in our Beta program! We'd be happy to have you participate. To join, simply follow this link https://www.f-secure.com/en/fs-protection

If you have any questions or would like to discuss the Beta program with other participants, you can also follow this link to join the discussion Home Security Beta Programs β€” F-Secure Community

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need any further assistance. Have a great day!

Firmy

• Rene204

Thanks a lot.. that really interesting Things.. but i can't log in.. need another Login for that?

• Firmy

Hello @Rene204

You may register it at this link New Member Sign-Up (f-secure.com)

Thank you.

Firmy

• Firmy

Hello @Rene204

We're reaching out to kindly request your assistance in investigating the issue you're experiencing with quitting F-Secure Total on your Mac. We've identified the root cause, but we would greatly appreciate it if you could provide us with more information by reproducing the issue.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please follow these steps:

1. Restart your machine.
    2. Reproduce the issue after restarting.
    3. Collect FSDIAG as soon after reproducing the issue https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/total-mac/latest/en/task_03F74417F71E42F7B2E95603988805A9-latest-en

You may submit the new FSDIAG to me via private message.

Thank you so much for your help! We greatly appreciate it, and we hope you have a wonderful day!

Firmy

• Rene204

Hi Firmy,

lost your PM-Adress, please send an Email to me, so i can reply with needed Informations to you..

Thanks.

• Rene204

Hello Firmy,

got a little trouble with these different Accounts and unfortunately delete Codegenerator. Had to restore HDD to find Recovery-Codes..

Im back again.

Seems Beta3 works perfekt, without any Errors here. Installed it on my three macOS Systems. Only the Sync between fs-Protection (Passwort-Tresor) and the regular Windows Version doesn't work. Ok, Maybe between Beta and regular Version there are more differences like i can see at the Monet.

This discussion has been closed.