Weird behavior

midykm
midykm Posts: 2 Observer

Hi community,

I face a strange behavior of my PC, wondering if F-Secure SAFE might be the cause.

Because of certain issues, I decided yesterday evening to re-install my current windows 11 installation, keeping only my personal data.

Said and done, the procedure might have taken an hour, but before going to sleep, I wanted to install the most important programs, F-Secure SAFE being one of them.

Installing the program was a thing of a few minutes, and with a cheerful heart, I logged in, or better, I tried to. After entering the password, the PC hung up, even though the user's name was accepted.

Who describes my surprise, my disappointment and my anger! I tried to be patient, but after halve an hour of absolutely no reaction of mouse and keyboard, I gave in. I pressed the power button and went to bed, dreaming messy stuff of a guy treating a computer with a heavy hammer.

Today, I found at least a way to break the endless "Welcome"-loop, my PC was in. I guess I pressed F8 after a reboot. Eventually, I could start another reset. After that, I re-installed F-Secure SAFE, entered my name and password, and guess what?

You're right, just another endless loop.

A suspicion came over me when I thought about other ways to get my PC running again. What if the current version of F-Secure SAFE was incompatible with my windows version? Hm, unlikely, since it worked before. The only thing I can think of is the large external drives that are plugged into my computer. A drive has a capacity of 930 GB, the other is even over 5 TB. What if F-Secure just did his job, scanning these vast drives, and I really was too impatient? Could be the case, couldn't it?

Many what-ifs and dunno, I know. Anyway, now, I am online without F-Secure SAFE, equipped only with Microsoft's defender. I hope it is as good as they say.

Thanks for your patience, dear community!

Tagged:

Accepted Answers

• midykm
    midykm Posts: 2 Observer
    Answer ✓

Hi Simon,

Explicitly, I didn’t allow such, nor did I forbid.

The remaining problem is that I’m worried about installing F-Secure SAFE once more; what if I’d end in another endless loop?

However, I installed F-Secure on another PC of mine, and it’s running with no problems.

The sad thing is that just in my main PC, F-Secure refuses to run. I guess I have to live with that, counting on Windows Defender.

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

Obviously I can't see your machine, so I can't guarantee it would work, but if you've got all the Windows Updates up to date, and there's nothing else on your machine that might cause a conflict, such as other anti-virus products, then there should be no reason for FS not to install correctly. If you do try again, disable Windows Defender first.

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,609 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @midykm

Welcome to the F-Secure Community page and thank you for your post.

I face a strange behavior of my PC, wondering if F-Secure SAFE might be the cause.

May I know what kind of strange behaviour you encountered on your PC? Kindly provide us with more details on this matter.

Installing the program was a thing of a few minutes, and with a cheerful heart, I logged in, or better, I tried to. After entering the password, the PC hung up, even though the user's name was accepted.

After you have reinstalled Windows on your PC, did you check for any missing updates? Yes, it would be best for you to check for any pending updates on your PC first to make sure your PC is up to date just like @Simon suggested. Also, due to security vulnerabilities reason.

Today, I found at least a way to break the endless "Welcome"-loop, my PC was in. I guess I pressed F8 after a reboot. Eventually, I could start another reset. After that, I re-installed F-Secure SAFE, entered my name and password, and guess what?

You're right, just another endless loop.

This issue could be caused by unsuccessful sync between the program and the account; hence it keeps probing for login. Start from Method 1. If the method fails, proceed to the next method.

Method 1: Clear cache and cookies​​​​​​

Depending on the browser, clear the browsing history, cache and cookies of the browser. Restart the browser and try again.

Method 2: Use a different browser

Method 3: Uninstall and Re-install

PART A: Uninstallation

For Windows:

1. Log on to your computer with administrator rights.
    2. Download the Uninstallation Tool for Windows from our Support Tools page.
    3. Run the executable FSUninstallationTool.exe.
    4. Click Yes.
    5. Click Start.
    6. Select the product or components you want to remove and click Next to initiate the uninstallation process.
    7. Click Restart when prompted to remove the remaining files.

The uninstallation is complete when your computer restarts.

PART B: Installation

1. Log into your My F-Secure account: https://my.f-secure.com/login
      • ​​​If you are unable to access the account or forgot your password, click on the Forgot Password option and type in your email address for a reset link to be sent.
    2. Select NEW-PC and click Release License.
    3. A page will appear to confirm the action. Click on Release License. The license is now removed. 
    4. Click + Add device.
    5. Choose My deviceMy child's Device or Someone else's device
    6. Select the device type (the system recognizes your device type by default) and click on Download for Windows/Mac.
    7. Once the download is completed, run the F-Secure Safe Network installer.
    8. When the installer launches, click Accept and Install

The installation will uninstall the previous version/installation and will require a restart. The process usually takes a few minutes or so, and once installed, your computer is protected.

Kindly let me know if this helps.

Thank you and stay safe.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info