usb stick not scanned when inserted into pc

pawl
pawl Posts: 2 Observer
edited October 2020 in F-Secure Internet Security

all my other antivirus progs used in past when i put a usb drive/stick into laptop it automatically scans the usb drive but not SAFE (fsecure WHY ?

Accepted Answers

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just as a discussion between community users.

The one answer is: this functionality has not yet been implemented.  Maybe soon will be if it works fine and a really valuable feature.

But there are some options already:

• first of all, you can run the scan manually before using USB drive/stick. Mouse right-click and then context menu option to scan it. Generally, against 'static' malware or unwanted software.
    • then, if there is something 'dynamic'. Meanings: active malware with kind of autorun or dangerous right after connecting the USB device with the computer - then Real-time scanning and advanced modules like F-Secure DeepGuard should handle it. Generally, against known malware or tricks; but also against some sort of unknown ones by advanced detection techniques and technologies.

Also, with your experience about auto-scans the USB drive - was it really without your permission to do so? I mean - was there ask about scan? And was it impossible to use the device until the end of the scan?

Thanks!

• alexpower88
    alexpower88 Posts: 19 Explorer

IN UPDATE VERSION 17.9 BETA 9 THIS OPTION INSERTET.

• pawl
    pawl Posts: 2 Observer

thanks for all replies using safe 17.8 its a bit disconcerming when i am use to auto scans on a 30 day trial at present lets see what happens once again thanks for all replies

• FSafe_UserDW
    FSafe_UserDW Posts: 16 Enthusiast

Lucaseuropa said, "When a USB storage device is inserted, F-Secure SAFE 17.9 will show you a notification asking if you want to scan the device. "

This is no longer correct. The automatic USB device scan feature STOPPED working for me in early 2021. No matter what type of USB stick I insert, F-Secure NEVER, EVER gives me any sort of message at all asking me if I want to scan. Nothing at all happens, and the USB device is NOT scanned unless I do it manually.

My scan settings are correct ("When you insert a USB storae device, you are asked...") is turned ON,

but F-Secure effectively ignore all USB devices, old or new, that I plug in.

Note: Manual scan via right click and scan does work on USB.

Please investigate this bug. Thank you.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited March 2021

Hello,

This is no longer correct. The automatic USB device scan feature STOPPED working for me in early 2021. No matter what type of USB stick I insert, F-Secure NEVER, EVER gives me any sort of message at all asking me if I want to scan. Nothing at all happens, and the USB device is NOT scanned unless I do it manually

This still should be fine. Could you check this topic: https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123831/autoscan-flash-disk-when-inserted

What if your experience also is about something like that? But if not - good if you back with a bit more information (for example, Windows version; or maybe if this happened with all your devices or with the very specific one).

Thanks!

// small addition: this will not auto scan USB device, but should give a toast/prompt/notification with "Scan" button (to perform it if you want).

• FSafe_UserDW
    FSafe_UserDW Posts: 16 Enthusiast

Thanks for the info... after much trial & error, I think I found the problem, and fixed it without wiping & reinstall F-Secure Inernet Security:

drum roll... it was Windows 10 updates!

(no surprise there).

I UNinstalled the last 4 or 5 Windows updates, rebooted, then did the same updates again (yes, this takes a while).

And now F-Secure does prompt (in Windows Notifications, arrrgh!) when I plug in USB devices.

So apparently something in a Windows update borked some of the "Notifications" (and/or the related "Focus Assist" settings). Perhaps Microsoft corrected some previous problems in one of the updates?

Suggestion: If possible, F-Secure could also consider using their own programmed pop-up balloon notice or a pop-up window, rather than depend on the (flaky) Windows "Notifications" system to relay the message.

Windows is always borking itself, so depending on Windows 10 Notifications (or hoping Windows Updates never screw up anything important) is a crapshoot at best.

For someone who solved a similar F-Secure/USB problem with their Windows Notifications, see:

https://community.f-secure.com/en/discussion/123831/autoscan-flash-disk-when-inserted

• Lucaseuropa
    Lucaseuropa Posts: 301 Rock Star

Hey @FSafe_UserDW !

I'm very happy to read, that now everything works exactly as it supposed to! 😎

Thank you for your observation and for sharing your findings, much appreciated.

Take care!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info