Show information to new members (to avoid confusion)

Advocate

Show information to new members (to avoid confusion)

New members sometimes have a tendency to:

- Post in wrong community

- Post in an old thread that already has a solution

- Post a problem in the Idea Exchange (either as new idea or as a reply to another idea)

- Post a problem that has an answer in one of sticky posts

- Don't see the Recommended content (as @Blackcat recently mentioned)

When a new member has registered(or when writing the first post) I believe it would be good to display a welcome message with brief information about the different communities so first of all get them to post in the correct section. And not to reply to old threads. Check out the sticky posts first etc. Any information that could avoid the above mentioned things.

And some info that they should mark a correct answer as the solution. (I think it's mostly F-Secure staff that marks solutions today)

Regarding posting in old threads: shouldn't old solved threads be closed? (read-only) If someone posts a similar problem to an old solved thread, and a new reply solves the problem. Then what? Should there be multiple solutions? It seems the link for "Go to Solution" only refers to the first solution, so you most likely won't see if there are other newer solutions.

An example that has multiple solutions: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/f-secure-mobile-password/td-p/11373

Would you read all other pages if you found the solution already on the first page? Probably not, and If so you could miss out on a newer and perhaps better solution on the other pages. (not in this example though)

29 REPLIES 29
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Show information to new members (to avoid confusion)

Hi NikK,

thanks for the suggestions. We're working on making the some improvements in the areas you mentioned. You'll see some "how to post" instructions soon.

Thanks for mentioning the expiration and accepted solutions, that's an area we'll definitely need to look into in the nearest future.

Regards,
Ania
F-Secure Community Service Owner

Twitter: @aniaciuba
--------------------------------
Has somebody helped you? Give Kudos as a way to say "thanks!"
Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.
Superuser

Another method of delivering this might be an automated 'Welcome' email or PM to new members, with hints and tips on how to use the forums.  This has worked well in my experience on other forums.

Superuser

Just as a suggestion, how about something like this as a welcome email:

------

Welcome to the F-Secure Community Forums!

We hope you will enjoy your time with us, and that you will find the help and information that you need.

We are not one of those forums where new members get 'flamed' or otherwise chastised for asking a question that's already been answered.  No one is expected to read all of the topics in the forums before making a post, but by checking the 'Sticky Topics' at the top of each board (if present), you may find the answers you need more quickly, rather than having to wait until someone replies to your post.

It is also to your advantage to post your question / topic in the relevant forum, where it may be responded to more quickly.  Posts made in wrong places will be moved to the correct board by the forum staff, or by an F-Secure Expert, but this is a manual process, so there may be a delay until someone is available to perform these tasks.

On the subject of making posts, please remember that this is a public forum, and is available to anyone to view.  Therefore, you are strongly advised not to post personal details, such as mobile phone numbers, email addresses, or security / subscription codes, as this could lead to your privacy being compromised.  Any such information will be removed by forum / F-Secure staff, but as above, this is a manual process, and will be dealt with at the earliest opportunity.

At the bottom of forum threads, you will see a 'Recommended Content' section.  This cleverly links to other topics / threads that may be relevant to your current issue, so please check these, as again, this may help you to solve your issue sooner.

We do have a small number of rules which we ask you to observe:

By using this community, you agree that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and / or defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually offensive, racist, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also explicitly forbidden on this forum.

Whilst not discouraging discussion of other brand's products in a general context, direct promotion of other brands would be considered as advertising.  Further, it would be inappropriate use of the F-Secure forum to ask for recommendations for other branded security products, and any such posts may be edited or removed at the discretion of forum staff.

You further agree that you will at no time post in a manner designed or intended to demean, humiliate or mock any other user, or member of staff of this forum. You will at all times observe "Good forum etiquette", be polite and respectful towards all members, administrators, moderators and the forum owners. You agree that you will at no time create posts / threads intended to be deliberately contentious, malicious, critical of and / or harmful to the community, its members, forum staff and owners, or that would create, foment or otherwise cause ill feeling amongst the membership. All queries or comments about the running of the board should, unless otherwise invited by the staff in a thread or poll, be made via PM contact with an administrator.

Finally, please bear in mind that this community is mainly English or Deutsch speaking.  Whilst there is no official restriction on other languages being used, you may have to wait until someone comes along who speaks your language, if different to the above, for your question to be responded to.

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks Simon, that's a great suggestion. This text is a nice welcome message to our New Members.

I'll include this in our planning here.

Regards,
Ania
F-Secure Community Service Owner

Twitter: @aniaciuba
--------------------------------
Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.
F-Secure

Hi Simon!

I agree, that is an excellently drafted welcome email, kudos!  I'm sure that many new members will be anxious to get right to posting their questions, but for those who take the time to read it, it should prove to be quite helpful!  We'll let you know what we end up deciding.

// Chrissy

Superuser

Thanks! :)
Advocate

"Thanks for mentioning the expiration and accepted solutions, that's an area we'll definitely need to look into in the nearest future."

I know FS is limited to what's possible to change within Lithium, still maybe it's a good thing to discuss it here to get some opinions about it:

Currently a member can add new replies to old already solved issues. This can lead to an issue ending up with multiple solutions, but the "Go to Solution" link at the first post will only refer to the first and oldest solution. There's a chance members won't see the newer and perhaps better solutions.

Good or bad? Any thoughts?

Superuser

I believe anyone can un-mark a post as the solution, as I did one the other day which had obviously been marked in error. So therefore, a new solution could replace an older one. The problem is, who's to say which is the best solution, as often one solution will work for one person, where it doesn't for another.
Advocate

I see your point. When I first joined this community I thought that only I (the topic starter) could decide what the solution was to my problem. It took a few months for me to discover that actually anyone can click "Accept As Solution". It makes more sense if only the topic starter can decide(and FS employees). But as the topic allows new posts after it has been solved, then it wouldn't work with allowing only the topic starter. As it is now you can have one topic starter and multiple "re-starters".