cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FS Protection PC Release 179 and Malwarebytes 3.0

Superuser

FS Protection PC Release 179 and Malwarebytes 3.0

I've been having real problems since upgrading my Malwarebytes to their new version, which happened to coincide with the new release of FSP.  Are these two still compatible?

Firstly, MWB refused to start, and I kept getting an error message "Cannot connect to service".  One way to get it to start was to restart the running service (right click My Computer > Manage > Services), and then it started, but was 'clunky', to say the least.

I went on to the MWB forums, and lots of people have been having the same problem, which has been present since the beta versions, so I don't even know how this version got to public release - nevertheless, some people found that adding MWB to their Anti-Virus / Security software scanning exceptions list alleviated the issue to some extent, in that at least MWB would now start when it was supposed to.

I therefore added MWB to the Exclusions list in Deepguard and whilst MWB does now start, my machine runs like it's wading through treacle, and I can't even start some applications.

The last version of MWB was compatible with FSP, and both seemed to run happily side by side.  The difficulty I have now is that as both products have updated virtually simultaneously, I have no idea which one is causing the problems.

Has anyone else had difficulties with these two products?  I'm reluctant to remove either of them, as they both offer different types of protection, but I would happily remove MWB if FSP would offer the same protection against PUPs, Adware, and some spyware which MWB has done.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
F-Secure

Re: FS Protection PC Release 179 and Malwarebytes 3.0

Hi @Simon,

We don't categorize malware like that. Internally we have two main groups (based on product functionality): malware and riskware. Malware contains traditional malware, spyware, adware. Riskware contains PUP, PUA, spyware, adware. Malware is detected and cleaned up automatically as you would expect. The problem with riskware is that we can't remove them, since they are legitimate products and their creators could launch legal action against us. With latest version ("Ultra Core") you will see a flyer that we detected riskware being launched. Then it's up to the user to uninstall the riskware if they want to. If we are missing some detections, please submit them to our sample analysis system.

You can read more about PUA here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/potentially-unwanted-applications

Regarding compatibility with Malwarebytes, we simply don't have resources to test compatibility with other AV vendors and our official stance is still that you can only run one AV product. It's good that beta community reports their findings so users wanting to run multiple AV products (at their own risk) can see the experiences you have had with them.

(F-Secure R&D)

14 REPLIES
Superuser

Thank you to the person who "liked" my post, but actual comments would be more useful. Have you experienced similar issues, and have you found any other solutions? I have now fully removed and reinstalled MWB 3.0, but this was late last night, and I haven't had a chance to see what the effects are, if any, as yet.

My feeling is that MWB has escalated into trying to be an all in one anti-virus product, and may therefore no longer be compatible with other AV products, which is a shame, as it means one can no longer have dual layers of protection, and I will have to choose between the two. Unfortunately, unless @Ville can clarify, I don't think FS guards against PUPs and Adware, which would leave a security 'hole', if MWB is no longer useable.
Superuser

Hello Simon
Sorry to be unable to help as I don't use MBM as a resident, only for épisodic checkups, which has kept me safe till now.
Never had compatibility issues.
Superuser

Thanks, YOF. Yours may not have automatically upgraded to version 3.0 yet - in fact, I don't know if the product will actually automatically upgrade to the new version, as I downloaded mine manually. I've kept the old version on my laptop, and that still runs fine. I guess one solution would be to downgrade back to the old version, but that's not really solving the issues, as I'm sure they will all be upgraded eventually.
Superuser

you're right, I installed MBAM 3.03 over free 2.2, it's auto configured as a full fledged AV, from what I see the free 2.2 won't upgrade automatically to 3.0 which only exists as a paying prog.

Superuser

I guess that poses the question as to whether MBAM 2.2 will continue to be supported independently with future updates, and also whether it will remain a free version. It does seem as though it, and the new version, are very different products. It does state in the MWB blogs that the new version remains compatible with other AV products, but I have serious doubts over that claim, certainly at this stage.
F-Secure

Hi @Simon,

We don't categorize malware like that. Internally we have two main groups (based on product functionality): malware and riskware. Malware contains traditional malware, spyware, adware. Riskware contains PUP, PUA, spyware, adware. Malware is detected and cleaned up automatically as you would expect. The problem with riskware is that we can't remove them, since they are legitimate products and their creators could launch legal action against us. With latest version ("Ultra Core") you will see a flyer that we detected riskware being launched. Then it's up to the user to uninstall the riskware if they want to. If we are missing some detections, please submit them to our sample analysis system.

You can read more about PUA here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/potentially-unwanted-applications

Regarding compatibility with Malwarebytes, we simply don't have resources to test compatibility with other AV vendors and our official stance is still that you can only run one AV product. It's good that beta community reports their findings so users wanting to run multiple AV products (at their own risk) can see the experiences you have had with them.

(F-Secure R&D)

Superuser

Thank you
Superuser

Thanks for that, @Ville

So, I wonder how other products, such as MWB can 'get away with' removing 'riskware' as you mentioned above?

It it reassuring to know that FS would at least inform the user that such programs may be present, so they they can make their own decision as to whether to remove them.
Superuser

Just to open this up again, MWB 3.x still has the same issues as above for me.  I have been on their forums, and it seems that some (but not all) other users having problems also use F-Secure.

Whilst I accept what @Ville said about compatibility issues, the question has been asked on the MWB forums as to whether F-Secure has whitelisted the current version of Malwarebytes, as often, the problems seem to disappear if F-Secure is disabled.  Could anyone please confirm whether this is relevant, and if MWB has indeed been whitelisted or not?  Would submitting a sample of the latest version be of any use in this instance?

I am keen to get this sorted, as not only do I have a lifetime license for MBAM, which I would like to continue using, I'd also like to set the record straight on their forums with regards their product's compatibility with F-Secure, and possibly other products, which currently seems to be questionable.