FS Protection PC 17.6 releases

Superuser

Re: FS Protection PC 17.6 releases

@Lord_Ami wrote:

Did anyone else notice installation files (.NET?) created under system drive root?

In my case, C:\

Or was it coincidence (some other installer did it)? I suspect the latter case.

Hello,

My file system, probably, is not about such case. At least, I did not manage to find unexpected installation files (or differences from previous days).

Maybe your state is about:

• Some user interfaces have been implemented using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2. If you don't have it installed, it will be automatically installed during installation or update from previous version.

My experience is about Windows 10 64bit (1803) - where I am not sure whether.NET Framework 4.7.2 was there before installation or not (but it is possible to suspect that was). Another system is Windows 7 where .NET Framework 4.7.2 was there (listed under Installed applications).  Thus, the installation of .NET Framework 4.7.2 was not triggered when uptading FS Protection.

I do not check what is view when .NET Framework 4.7.2 will be installed during FS Protection update. Maybe if such installations files are remained under directory (as part of temporary storage, for example) - it is unexpected(?!).

Thanks!

Superuser

Hello !

my subscription will be down on 03/20/2019...

thanks in advance  Smiley Wink

Patron

Being a superuser you should know that if you have been active reporting on beta the subscription is renewed just in time if it works as before.

F-Secure

Release 17.6 beta 3 (4.10.1709):

New features:

• About dialog layout changed a bit

Fixed Issues:

• About window is crashing (PBL-4748)
  • Settings, list row height (PBL-4737)
  • Setting UI default open size  (PBL-4727)
  • About window is crashing (PBL-4726)
  • F-Secure.About crash dmp found in trunk 4.10.1517 (PBL-4721)
  • Bug or software feature? (SAFE_BUG-02709, PBL-4719)
  • Copyright notices shown twice (PBL-4703)
  • Layout&size of the default Setting UI  (PBL-4702)
  • Setting UI elevated but Windows shield not hide and UAC still prompt the 2nd time (PBL-4700)
  • Black triangle in About box (PBL-4699)
  • Settings UI not open or opened with broken style (PBL-4693)
  • Upgrade failed because operating system is not supported (PBL-4688)
  • Missing Update server link if localized (PBL-4686)
  • About window is not opening (PBL-4683)
  • Safe search not working for google, yahoo etc but working for youtube (PBL-4673)
  • Search rating icons are broken for Firefox (PBL-4672)
  • Browsing protection or content blocking not working after channel upgrade from 17.4 to 17.5 (PBL-4668)
  • About box taskbar F-icon turned to blank when 'Pin to taskbar' (PBL-4667)
  • FS Protection SAPC 17.6 Failed to Upgrade from Beta-1 to Beta-2 (PBL-4659)
  • Family rules tab should not show 'No content limits have been set.' (PBL-4653)
  • Dutch language customization: Text truncated on support tool (PBL-4652)
  • Globe icon color is not customised (PBL-4651)
  • About doesn't drop elevation for links inside scrollable area (PBL-4650)
  • Wrong terminology for the subscription renewal in Ru localization (PBL-4647)
  • Family Rules not correctly/fully blocking Fortnite when reaching time limits (PBL-4641)
  • About window not closed with 'ESC' key  (PBL-4638)
  • Integrity Error if launch the installer after it requires reboot (PBL-4636)
  • Continuation of the installation might fail with error after reboot (PBL-4632)
  • "Will try again" and not succeeding with upgrade (PBL-4618)
  • Browsing protection and Virus protection off status show different text on main ui (PBL-4614)
  • About dialog icon looks pixellated (PBL-4610)
  • Cannot select and copy the product version number from About dialog (PBL-4605)
  • Language is equal to "xx"  in all migration .net installer events (PBL-4582)
  • LOC: Updated strings for Statistics are OK - but based on its 'length' there is concern. (SAFE_BUG-02694, PBL-4562)
  • PUSH registration errors (PBL-4547)
  • Remove unnecessary errors from COSMOS log (PBL-4530)
  • [kor, jpn, chs, chz, zhh] Setup page have much bigger font than others (PBL-4492)
  • Allow/deny list does not work for non punycoded/%-coded domain names (PBL-4468)
  • AUA (GUTS2) hang on stop found in production (PBL-4407)
  • Help: Descriptions for Categories / Content Types. (SAFE_BUG-02630, PBL-4401)
  • Help / LOC : Wording concerns. (SAFE_BUG-02629, PBL-4400)
  • Help / LOC : Listed localized hyperlinks, but opened unlocalized page in fact. (SAFE_BUG-02627, PBL-4397)
  • LOC/RU: ValueComms strings (SAFE_BUG-02546, PBL-4267)
Highlighted
F-Secure

A few things I want to mention.

17.6 beta 3 has a work-in-progress settings dialog, which is not yet enabled. But you can take a sneak peek by navigating into product installation folder and "ui" subfolder and running "F-Secure.Settings.Gui.exe". Please keep in mind that it's not yet fully functional.

There has been some discussion about fs protection removing conflicting products while some users think that it's not a problem and reinstall them right back after our product installation. There is a command-line switch to disable conflicting product removal. It's documented for business product, but the installer code is same so it works for fs protection as well. See here. We still feel that the safest option is to run only one security product, so use this only if you're sure you want to take the risk of conflict.

(F-Secure R&D)

Superuser

Too many users are of the "belt and  garter" type.

I've had some success convincing users not to run 2 Av's once they admitted the possibility of conflicts and slowdowns. You cannot convince them with a text one line long in a dialog box.

The only solution is to force uninstallation AND forbid reinstallation of concurrent software.

Superuser

17.6 beta 3 has a work-in-progress settings dialog, which is not yet enabled. But you can take a sneak peek by navigating into product installation folder and "ui" subfolder and running "F-Secure.Settings.Gui.exe". Please keep in mind that it's not yet fully functional.

Just interesting (and based on my not really large experience with some FS Protection stages).. is there any other security software with such a smooth response to up-to-date operating systems (which users use) guides. With its kind of integration into the system flow. This kind of integration that has always been there (and only switches to more up-to-date look).

Thanks for release!

Superuser

Hello Ukko

I'd say webroot

Patron

Mine just updated

FS_TP_subs_updated.JPG

Patron

Beta 3 arrived last week and it does update the problem with about window not displaying

FS_17.6_beta3.JPG

When it was not displayed I could see the version in Control Panel Installed programs. (As ther could be other reasons for not displaying than the bug in beta 2)