Windows Firewall

Scholar

Windows Firewall

In F-Secure computer security, status is shown as 'your computer is not protected' and Wndows Firewall is switched off. When I try to turn it on I get the message that an unidentified problem prevents the settings being displayed or if I try to update settings I am not allowed to do that either. If I go to 'settings' in F-Secure then 'firewall' where the firewall is shown as 'off', I can then go to Windows firewall but the same message comes up. Do I need the Windows firewall to be on?

13 REPLIES 13
Superuser

Re: Windows Firewall

No, but you need the F-Secure Firewall to be switched on, as it rides on the back of Windows Firewall. Turn on FS's firewall and you should be OK.
Scholar

How do I check that FS-Secure's firewall is on?

Superuser

Error - reply removed.

Advocate

I think there's some confusion here:

Starting with Internet Security 2013, F-Secure does not have its own firewall solution in Home versions of Internet Security. Instead it makes sure you have Windows Firewall turned on. In addition to that there's a setting in the F-Secure Firewall section, to block harmful downloads (Advanced Network Protection). Also you have the F-Secure Application Monitor called Deepguard.

More info here: http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/What-has-happened-to-the/ta-p/15392

And Yes, you definitively should have Windows Firewall turned on!! (unless you have another firewall product installed)

Note: If you previously had Virgin Media Security, chances are it hasn't been removed completely which may be causing this problem. Follow these instruction:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/How-to-install-F-Secure-SAFE-on/td-p/40711 

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved
Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat / call F-Secure support
Superuser

Nik, there's a setting in Computer Security > Settings > Firewall to turn the Firewall on.  Does this not turn on Windows Firewall?

Untitled.jpg

Superuser

I have no idea what's going on with posting images here, but for some reason it keeps shrinking.

Advocate

The Firewall ON/OFF setting in Internet Security(Computer Security) = Windows Firewall.

It's confusing since you may get the impression from the settings that F-Secure has its own stand-alone firewall product.

I just meant that there's no separate "F-Secure Firewall". There is Windows Firewall + F-secure options to enhance the overall firewall protection. No more confusions I hope Smiley Wink

Superuser

Indeed, and apologies for my initial reply, which I admit was confusing.  red-face.gif  I assumed that by turning on the F-Secure 'Firewall' switch, this would automatically start Windows Firewall, if it wasn't already running.  Basically, yes, Windows Firewall should be On, and so should The F-Secure 'Firewall' and Deepguard, so sorry for the mis-information.

Advocate

Yes, that switch handles Windows Firewall, but ONLY Windows Firewall. It's just a utility to make it easier for the user to switch Windows Firewall On/Off. It does not affect the F-Secure product in any way since there is no such thing as an "F-Secure Firewall" anymore. Only a setting(checkbox) to block harmful downloads, and that has nothing to do with the Windows Firewall.

So to avoid any confusion I would say: You can turn the Windows Firewall on/off from either the Control Panel, or from the F-Secure setting "Firewall".

And not use the term "the F-Secure Firewall" because there is none Smiley Wink