Problem Running on Lenovo Thinkpad - Computer Security Fails to Start

THM
Aspirant

Problem Running on Lenovo Thinkpad - Computer Security Fails to Start

Trying to install F-Secure on a new Lenovo Thinkpad X230 running Win 7-64. The TP comes pre-loaded with Norton anti-virus. Removed this with the Windows 7 Uninstall and then the last remnants with the Norton Removal Tool. F-secure installs successfully (all apps installed) and runs OK after the installation but on a startup or reboot, the F-Secure Computer Security application fails to start. No matter how many restarts, still get the same result. Unistalling/reinstalling F-Secure does not help. Also, Windows reports that the Firewall and Anti-Virus protection is turned off. Can't seem to get through this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
THM
Aspirant

Re: Problem Running on Lenovo Thinkpad - Computer Security Fails to Start

Stephan, thanks for the reply. I have tried many things to restore the services but they have all failed as soon as the computer restarts. A suggestion from another forum suggested that one of the Lenovo Windows 7 Enhanced Experience programs was causing a conflict and suggested removing this. Specifically, I removed a Lenovo program called "RapidBoot Shield" (using Start/Control Panel/Unistall a Program - delete RapidBoot Shield). Removing this Lenovo software has fixed the F-Secure problem although the computer now takes a bit more time to boot up. I have tested this fix by starting from a cold boot as well as restarting many times and all services "stay" running and IS is active. This has fixed the problem so far.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Former F-Secure Employee

Hi THM,

Please try on the following steps.

1. Run the F-Secure Sidegrade tool to check and remove conflicting software.

2. Run the F-Secure Uninstallation tool to remove the F-Secure software.

3. Reinstall F-Secure.

If it is still not working, I would suggest you to open a Service Request for further investigation. Kindly attach a FSDIAG together with your service request.

Best regards,

Gary

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
THM
Aspirant

Gary, thanks for the reply. Followed these steps. F-Secure installs successfully and Computer Security works until I restart or shut-down. On a reboot the same message appears when I go to Computer Security: "Could not start the application. Restart your computer and try again". Very puzzling that IS runs OK after the install but fails on any restart or reboot.

Community Manager

Hello THM,

Could you please check, if all needed services are up and running?

Click start - type "services" and open the suggested program.

You'll find a list of all services available on your computer.

Are all the F-Secure services up and running?

If not, please start them.

Also the "base filtering module" service of Windows must be running.

If all services are OK and you still experience the issue, please create a support request.

Best regards,

Stephan

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Scholar

Hi Stephan

I just wanted to mention that being a brand new owner of a Lenovo E530 i7  windows7 x64  I am also suffering from exactly the same symptoms as THM.

As far as I can see, the following processes are not starting up...fsdfwd.exe, FSMA32.exe.

when trying to start these services  from the "services" appli   ...trying to start them up manually is only working for F-secure management agent...the other one F-secure Anti virus firewall daemon gets an error message indicating that it started and then stopped.

Will create a support request as soon as I have a minute.

regards

THM
Aspirant

Stephan, thanks for the reply. I have tried many things to restore the services but they have all failed as soon as the computer restarts. A suggestion from another forum suggested that one of the Lenovo Windows 7 Enhanced Experience programs was causing a conflict and suggested removing this. Specifically, I removed a Lenovo program called "RapidBoot Shield" (using Start/Control Panel/Unistall a Program - delete RapidBoot Shield). Removing this Lenovo software has fixed the F-Secure problem although the computer now takes a bit more time to boot up. I have tested this fix by starting from a cold boot as well as restarting many times and all services "stay" running and IS is active. This has fixed the problem so far.

View solution in original post

THM
Aspirant

Hi Vince. Please see the post I sent to Stephan just now. I believe the IS problem we see is with a conflict in a  Lenovo Enhanced Experience program.

Scholar

Thank you THM, problem solved as well. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Supporter

I hope F-Secure still can solve this problem. I'd prefer to have the faster boot enabled!

Scholar

Just tried to download F-secure to a Lenovo ideapad running windows 7. If refuses to install after 3 hours it sticks at 75% or 97%. I have had this product for 4 days. It wont work with windows 8.1 and Explorer 11 and now it seems it wont work with the lenovo laptop. I am beginning to thinks its not wirth the hassle. I will go for something that works rather than waste my time with this poor product. I wouldn't recommendeds this product to any friend that I might to my worst enemy. 2 failures out of 2 I have used antiviral software for years and this is THE WORST.