Firewall question.

Hello all,

I know that f-secure works wth the inbuild firewall from windows.

But is it also possible to use another one ?

Because i like glasswire, but i don`t no if this will work with f-secure.

And before i buy this product maybe somebody can tell me more.

Thanks

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

Hello,

I able to think that it's officially "not recommended", but it possible to try:

https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe-windows/2017/en/concept_086A6949CEDA4EE0ACE2F2788D38F890-safe-windows-2017-en

Quote from URL (Online Help/Documentation for F-Secure SAFE):

Spoiler

The product is designed to work with Windows Firewall. Other personal firewalls require additional setup to work with the product.

The product uses Windows Firewall for basic firewall functions, such as controlling incoming network traffic and keeping your internal network separate from the public Internet. In addition, DeepGuard monitors installed applications and prevents suspicious applications from accessing the Internet without your permission.

If you replace Windows Firewall with a personal firewall, make sure that it allows incoming and outgoing network traffic for all F-Secure processes and that you allow all F-Secure processes when the personal firewall prompts you to do so.

If your personal firewall has a manual filtering mode, use it to allow all F-Secure processes.

Since 'possible to use F-Secure and another firewall' under system (with potential undesigned/unexpected result).

Limitations:

-- F-Secure during installation able to mark such third-party firewall as incompatible software.

If it will be like that -> maybe possible to install F-Secure firstly and then third-party firewall;

-- Required configuration under third-party firewall for prevent any troubles with F-Secure work (and maybe under F-Secure exclusion-lists too).

-- All common potential meanings and feelings with using 'not designed/expected' setting:

Maybe also possible to tweak Windows Firewall (at leat, with Windows 8/10) about some meanings, which you feel that possible to get only with third-party firewall.

Thanks!

• FlyingDutchman
    FlyingDutchman Posts: 9 Explorer

Hello,

I installed glasswire, but it will NOT work with f-secure. Smiley Sad

My opinion is, that this is not a good way to work with your customers, because the decide what the want.

And i don`t want win 10 firewall, i want my own choice firewall.

But oke, now i will look for another antivirus product that will give me the choice.

The topic can be closed. Smiley Frustrated

• Ukko

FlyingDutchman wrote:

Hello,

I installed glasswire, but it will NOT work with f-secure. Smiley Sad

My opinion is, that this is not a good way to work with your customers, because the decide what the want.

And i don`t want win 10 firewall, i want my own choice firewall.

But oke, now i will look for another antivirus product that will give me the choice.

The topic can be closed. Smiley Frustrated

Hello,

Just as clarification -> I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions) and I'm not an official F-Secure staff (or something like that);

So just some of my ask-words based on your reply:

--> What do you mean by "Not work" with F-Secure?

You do install F-Secure, than do install third-party firewall;

Add under both of solutions - each other to exclusions lists -> and third-party firewall do not work? With all of features? And if to disable F-Secure (like "turn off all security features"-option under Main UI Tools-tab) third-party firewall start to work?

Under community was feedback that F-Secure do mark it as incompatible software (but that it possible to install F-Secure firstly; then to install this third-party firewall). And did not comes feedback that it totally 'not work'. https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Home-Security/F-Secure-and-GlassWire/m-p/97150

--> What do you mean by "my customers"? Since I do not have any customers...

And what kind of "way" you noted?

--> F-Secure SAFE (IS/AV) also do provide 'ability' (and choice) to use any other security solutions under system (even can to 'not recommend' it) and as noted "Online Help/Documentation":

https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe-windows/2017/en/concept_086A6949CEDA4EE0ACE2F2788D38F890-safe-windows-2017-en

do clarify it.

As repeat for "quote from this URL":

The product is designed to work with Windows Firewall. Other personal firewalls require additional setup to work with the product.

The product uses Windows Firewall for basic firewall functions, such as controlling incoming network traffic and keeping your internal network separate from the public Internet. In addition, DeepGuard monitors installed applications and prevents suspicious applications from accessing the Internet without your permission.

If you replace Windows Firewall with a personal firewall, make sure that it allows incoming and outgoing network traffic for all F-Secure processes and that you allow all F-Secure processes when the personal firewall prompts you to do so.

If your personal firewall has a manual filtering mode, use it to allow all F-Secure processes.

For example, I with experience about two/three different third-party firewalls and some F-Secure solutions.

Thanks!

// Also as my own feedback: it can be interesting for me too.

If you will find the security (AV) solution which do recommend certain third-party firewall to their own solutions - do you able to place it there?

• FlyingDutchman
    FlyingDutchman Posts: 9 Explorer

I have read it again, and it can be working with Windows firewall, but i will not use it anymore.

Because it can`t look in linux, and that is very important for me, because i use linux on a laptop.

• steel8
    steel8 Posts: 7 Observer

https://forum.glasswire.com/t/windows-firewall-glasswire/1183

"GlassWire works with Windows firewall and actually uses the Windows API so you should leave Windows firewall alone as is."

I don't see why there should be a compatibility issue between F-Secure and Glasswire.

• Ukko

@steel8 wrote:

https://forum.glasswire.com/t/windows-firewall-glasswire/1183

"GlassWire works with Windows firewall and actually uses the Windows API so you should leave Windows firewall alone as is."

I don't see why there should be a compatibility issue between F-Secure and Glasswire.

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (not an official words/suggestions).

Not really about this situation -- but only as potential meanings:

for example, based on their another design/features. Or if they do use Windows API wrongly. :)

Or if it reduce security-status of system (because F-Secure do use some 'tweaks' for Windows Firewall - which can be overwritten, for example - but not likely).

But F-Secure compatibility check during installation can be (time to time OR often) about meanings "not recommended" (than definitely known compatibility-trouble between solutions).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info