F Secure Setup fails at License Terms screen with "Download Failed"

Highlighted
SC
Scholar

F Secure Setup fails at License Terms screen with "Download Failed"

I am trying to install the Virgin Media F Secure software on my XP PC service pack 3.  When I run the VirginMediaNetworkInstaller_C-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-UHHPP.exe file it fails almost straight away with an error "Download Failed. Check that your network connection is working and try again."

Internet connection is working fine both on Internet Explorer and on Firefox.  It must be, to have downloaded the the installer in the first place.

I have uninstalled all Virgin Media software, using the "UninstallationTool.exe" and with Control Panel.

My PC is a Quad Core Q6600 with 1.5TB drives, XP 32 bit.

I have tried turning of the firewall and turning off non essestial programs.

This is very fustrating.

I had no problems on with a Win 8 laptop.

Can you help ?

Mod Edit: Removed personal subscription information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supporter

Re: F Secure Setup fails at License Terms screen with "Download Failed"

Hi, SC!

Im sorry to hear that you dont have been given answer on your questions.

Even though the Microsoft Xp support have finished, you're still able to download updates that have already been released before the ending of the support.

A reset on your 12 month trial key are only possible through the support so please try to fil out the following support request form yet again and see if it helps.

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/support/support-request

-Best Regards
Johannes

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
Superuser

Firstly, you may wish to edit your post, as you should not have revealed your license key, assuming that's what's included in the installer .exe file.  Smiley Wink

To be honest, I'm not 100% certain that you're trying to run the correct installer, as I would have thought it should have been F-SecureNetworkInstaller_xxx.exe, but I'm not sure what the link from the Virgin portal looks like.

You might find it useful to read this thread on how to remove VMS and install F-Secure SAFE from the SAFE Portal. It will contain the link to the Virgin Media Removal Tool which it might be worth running again if you still encounter problems.

Come back to us if you need further help.  :)

Advocate

In addition to Simons advice, you could try logging in to the SAFE Portal from your Win 8 PC, click install, then click "Another Device" and follow the instructions.

F-Secure

Hi

You might not have up-to-date list of root certificates on your Windows XP computer. You could try installing them from Windows update or directly from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38918.

From Vista onwards, Windows has been able to update certificates automatically, so that's why Windows 8 would work.

(F-Secure R&D)

SC
Scholar

I've tried all the tips in your post and in the other posts but still no luck.

Has this been tested on XP do you know ?

And is there anything else I could try ?

Advocate

It guess it's a browser issue. Internet Explorer 8 is an old but the latest supported version on XP, so I suggest you try the SAFE Portal with Firefox if you haven't tried that already.

System Requirements for SAFE and XP

Windows XP Home Edition*

Windows XP Professional*

Windows XP Media Center Edition*

*32-bit, Service Pack 3 or later

Internet Security

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent

Memory requirements: 1 GB or more

Disk Space: 800 MB free disk space

High speed Internet connection to validate your subscription and receive updates

The system must fulfill Windows minimum requirements as specified by Microsoft

SC
Scholar

Hi,

I don't think it can be a browser issue as I easly downloaded the install exe file.  The problem occurs when I run the install exe file named in my first post.  It starts up, asks me to select the language, I then click the install button and then the error box appears "Download failed. Check that your network connection is working and try again".

But thanks for looking at this issue.

Advocate

I see. I've seen that in the OnlineScanner, but that's because I have control of all outbound network connections and I don't allow them by default. However, the Windows Firewall in XP has no outbound firewall control, only inbound.

Do you have any other security products installed that could block connections?

Besides that I can only think of settings in Internet Explorer that might be used when an application tries to connect to Internet.

I suggest you go into settings in Internet Explorer and reset the Security Levels to the Default Level.

Advocate

The OnlineScanner is just another F-Secure exe file that also connects to internet. Here are known issues and limitations for XP. Maybe they can be of help?

2. Windows XP: Online Scanner must be run under an Administrator account
On Windows XP, Online Scanner must always be run under an Administrator account. It needs admin privileges to scan system memory and files.

3. Internet Explorer (IE) 7 and 8: Online Scanner doesn't start when Internet and Local intranet security levels are set to High
The Online Scanner user interface uses the functionality of an Internet Explorer Server object. To allow Online Scanner to operate, you must set IE settings to default:

• In the browser go to Tools > Internet options.
  • Select the Security tab.
  • Set Internet and Local intranet security levels to Medium.

4. IE7 and 8: Online Scanner doesn't start in "offline" mode
IE should be in its normal, "online" mode, otherwise Online Scanner cannot run.

SC
Scholar

I can download and run OnlineScanner with no problems.

There are no other security programs running.

Internet security was set to the default levels, but I reset them anyway.

Problem is still there.

Has this been tested with Xp do you know ?