F-Secure Host Process high CPU usage

Scholar

F-Secure Host Process high CPU usage

The problem is that F-Secure Host Process has a high CPU usage of around 30-35 %. After boot it is very low  for some time but will eventually get higher and stays there until I restart the computer.

The scheduled scan is disabled. I also made a full computer scan and it found nothing.

This is very annoying problem, as it makes my computer pretty sluggish. Is there a solution?

21 REPLIES 21
Superuser

Re: F-Secure Host Process high CPU usage

Does this happen every time you start your machine, regardless of how long you've had it on? I was just wondering if maybe it's trying to download and install all the updates? That can occasionally take a little while, and if it's a major product update, your computer may be sluggish for a little while, depending on its usual capabilities. Do you know where to check to see if all the latest signatures are installed? If not, come back to us, and we can help with that.
Scholar

The high CPU usage lasts for hours. Yesterday it lasted at least six hours.

I made the update check and it succeeded. Is there something else I should check?

Superuser

That doesn't sound right. The other possibility is that there is a conflict with some other software on your machine. Do you have any other security software installed?
Scholar

There is no other security software on my computer.

This did not happen yesterday.  My computer was on for the entire day, but the CPU usage kept low. But today it happened again. I started my computer in the morning and left it open. Then I was away for a couple of hours and when I came back the fshoster64.exe was using about 33% of CPU.

Scholar

Any help? The problem persists.

I have monitored the process more closely for the last couple of weeks. The high CPU usage does not happen every day but most days it does happen. Also the time before the high CPU usage begins seems to be random. Sometimes it starts almost immediately after booting the computer but sometimes it takes hours to begin.

Superuser

The trouble with this is, it could be almost anything. I wonder if your best option might be to engage in a Chat support session, and see what they suggest?

Contact Support by Phone or Chat

F-Secure

@Kestis

It sounds like there is some kind of busy loop in the code in one of the plugins that are loaded to the hoster. It's really hard to say based on your description what it could be. If you can wait for the problem to happen, leave it running busy for about on hour and then, run task manager (elevated), find the process and select "Create dump file". You can then send the dump file to our support (create a ticket), who can forward it to us in R&D. With that kind of dump file we can find the thread using a lot of CPU and see what it is doing.

(F-Secure R&D)

KP_
Scholar

Same issue, process% around 25-35 for several hours. Problem started this week, related to new version(s)?

Win 10.

Novice

Same problem here, processor usage up to 50%, started yesterday. Sometimes booting the computer helps.