Android - Chrome safe browsing support

Hi,

Chrome F-secure safe browsing for android is not supported. The only supported browser for safe browsing is F-secure safe browser which is totally useless for me. Chrome sync is important for me, thats why I use only Chrome browser on android. Its funny, because Chrome on android is supported with Eset, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton and all the others. So I would like to know, why is development team complicating things. For me is F-secure for android without Chrome safe browsing support totally useles application. I hope that F-secure team will update android application and start supporting Chrome as soon as possible. I wonder is it so hard, or where is the problem?

Kind regards,

Andrej

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Such topic was interesting to me too. So, here are only my own unofficial suggestions and feelings (I did not know any official reasons, statements or explanation).

Probably,  Safe Browsing is supported for Google Chrome; but only Android 5* (as requirement for SAFE is Android 5+; otherwise such feature is supported by Android 4* devices too);

Further Android versions (6+) are not supported.

I think that such trouble is based on realization. So, after some changes with Android platform's design -> F-Secure realization is not working anymore (or alternative browsers start to use something else). I also found that with recent F-Secure SAFE (Mobile) solution - Safe Browser does not possible to use as Private/Incognito tabs mode. What was possible with Android 4* device. And maybe some other differences.

Thus, it was interesting to me too - why not possible to support another browsers (and why it was possible).

If Android platform allows such functionality to be implemented, then it is strange that this has not yet been done with recent F-Secure Safe Browser.

If hacks/workarounds are needed (for example, HTTPS is used anywhere and browsers with own security features - so - to check traffic and prevent access to open certain harmful website is something what can be tricky to do with all privacy and legal concerns) - maybe good that F-Secure does not use it.

So, good to receive some information from F-Secure. At least, does it planned to add support for alternative browsers (Browsing protection feature)?

Thanks!

• Andrej74
    Andrej74 Posts: 2 Observer

Thank you very much for your reply. It really is funny, that the company like f-secure with 1000+ employees is not able to implement this feature. All the other security vendors enabled Chrome android browsing protection without useless separated browser. Havr a nice day and thank you again. Andrej

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

@Andrej74 wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. It really is funny, that the company like f-secure with 1000+ employees is not able to implement this feature. All the other security vendors enabled Chrome android browsing protection without useless separated browser. Havr a nice day and thank you again. Andrej

Hello,

Thanks for you reply! As my own feedback:

- not all of their employees are Android developers.

I am not sure how large is F-Secure Mobile team. And it is unclear what is trouble to implement it (for F-Secure solution).

- by the way: I found that, at least, some of noted 'other' security vendors with support only for Google Chrome.

It is normal browser - but there are many other good alternative browsers for Android too.

In addition, I even tried to use Microsoft Edge under my Android 8.1.0 device and I found it as pretty good and usable browser (compared to preinstalled Google Chrome as example; and most of features/abilites are shared between them anyway).

Thus, my own 'feature request' is not pinned to Google Chrome support only (but, yes, likely that Google Chrome Support is enough valuable option for most users).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info