FS Protection PC Release 193

Urmas
Urmas Posts: 65 F-Secure Employee

This release contains following applications that combined make the FS Protection PC product:

• Common Component Framework 2.93.165
  • Antivirus 17.193.128
  • Browsing protection 2.193.6267 

Fixed issues:

Antivirus:

• Family rule feature rows not aligned (CTS-99311)
  • Online Safety upgrade channel subscribed when Online Safety not installed (CTS-99531)
  • Online Safety mentioned in About box when Online Safety not installed (CTS-99530)
  • "Allowed and blocked sites" button visible but not functional when Online Safety not installed (CTS-99529)
  • "Help content is not currently available" for some Help links (CTS-99520, SAFE_BUG-01792)
  • Protection malfunction (UFO-1707)

Browsing protection:

• On multiuser computer child's time is spent when other user active (CTS-99528)
  • Allowed List Not Fully Working (CTS-99442)
  • Extension status not working reliably for Firefox (CTS-99546)
  • [JAP] Family rules tab small truncation (CTS-99491)
  • [JAP] "Allow-by-admin" search result icon text is truncated (CTS-99490)
  • Harmful site blocked: false positive, and cannot allow website (CTS-99569, SAFE_BUG-01810)
  • Search rating icon for shopping category does not show properly (CTS-99476)

• Allow-by-admin search result icon is still old style (CTS-99489)

Comments

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser
    another good brew, updated and running without a glitch on my laptop
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for release!

Sorry for ask:

How long Quarantine should "opening" with Three thousands quarantined files (as example)? Or it should be based on system configuration?

By "opening" I mean ->  time between "when 'App and file control'-window is visible, but list of quarantined files not visible yet";

With my experience:

Quarantine with "about three thousands files" will show list of items after "two minutes thirty seconds" (less or more seconds);

I maybe have to expect that this is normal situation, but decided to ask (based on some other points).

Thanks!

• Urmas
    Urmas Posts: 65 F-Secure Employee
    Hello,

A long opening time is expected. Quarantine is not really designed for storing thousands of samples, as this is not something to be expected from normal use of the product.

BR, Urmas
  • Ukko

@Urmas wrote:
    Hello,

A long opening time is expected. Quarantine is not really designed for storing thousands of samples, as this is not something to be expected from normal use of the product.

BR, Urmas

Hello,

Thanks for response and clarification about it!

I also able to add about "delay during 'Virus Scan' at certain timestep" that with clean/fresh installation and before first restart - in somewhat reason - there missing any "delays", but after restart it comes back (even maybe with "less time delay"); I did some steps between  - but 'revert' them did not remove 'visible delay at twenty eight percent checkpoint'; So it most likely also something expected and designed to be with such view.

• betoche
    betoche Posts: 49 Observer
    Hello. thanks for the update and your work:) My license expired and I thought it will be renewed soon so I didn't comment but 2 weeks passed and f-secure didn't renew itSmiley Tongue
  • betoche

Hey urmas.

Can we have this ability to watch detected malware's(i mean scan results) while f-secure scanning the whole pc or a custom Drive or folder?
    If some one wants to see the detections he/she need to wait for f-secure to finish the scanning process, which I don't like it.

Another suggestion: let's say I scanned my windows and FS detected some malware so I want to rep them as FP there is no option for this operation.
    We need an option in quarantine like this: report as FP
    there are only allow delete and details.
    thnx for reading

• betoche

Hello,
    Where are you, ppl Smiley Happy
    Can we have this ability to add some extension to the Deep guard settings and force the deep Guard to scan them if the user wants to execute them?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/137270/50-file-extensions-that-are-potentially-dangerous-on-windows/
    smth like this? I don't know if Deep guard supports them already? or no?!but I'm sure not all of them.
    maybe the js office, and some others.

• Ukko

@betoche wrote:

Hello,
    Where are you, ppl Smiley Happy
    Can we have this ability to add some extension to the Deep guard settings and force the deep Guard to scan them if the user wants to execute them?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/137270/50-file-extensions-that-are-potentially-dangerous-on-windows/
    smth like this? I don't know if Deep guard supports them already? or no?!but I'm sure not all of them.
    maybe the js office, and some others.

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. You able do not read this - if you have not time for that (or if you do not want); Some of my own feelings about your latest ask (not about your ask to Urmas);

Spoiler

Probably DeepGuard (or other layers of scanning/protection) with some tweaks and should include most of common vectors (I mean -> known extensions for malware-usage);

Article probably listed most which F-Secure able to detect (with lot of limitations/exceptions);

But do you mean about feature like ""user add certain extension for monitoring by DeepGuard"" (?); I think it not reasonable -> "'"even if you add it -> DeepGuard do not support it"'"; But if "'"DeepGuard support handling/analyzing such extension - why do not add as default?!"'";

Also -> F-Secure's current design about switch to "less configuration by user, more auto-decision" and your potential feature can be like "high level protection" or "enough high level protection" options; With difference about count of false-positive detections; Or about scanning/analyzing less likely malware-exploited extensions (or which possible to detect before/equal by other layer/trigger/step) and related performance impact;

Not about your concern - but partly with related meanings - basically I not sure about some options with security solutions like: "detect ransomware", "detect exploits" and so. Like different options under Scanning/Protection settings;

Sounds as "Ok... protect against exploits and detect it under system; BUT... well, let Ransomware play with system as they want" and it sounds strange (except meanings -> as troubleshooting for false-positive; or Testing - but... does it something what Home Users want to get);

And I able to think that --> good if F-Secure will tweak their technologies about MOST HIGH level of common sense detection/analyzing/scanning/check points; Where not required many tweaks by user (where it can be 'by default');

Will be interesting to read official statement by F-Secure Staff about your concern. And to know - if there should be any additions to extension's list (which analyzed by F-Secure); I able to suspect that general answer is -> "F-Secure Labs" always monitor current situation and tick solutions when required.

Also maybe it can be interesting for you --> F-Secure Labs (and Andy Patel) created blog-articles about some meanings around security technologies/designs and partly about "how F-Secure use it":

F-Secure Labs Blog

Thanks!

• betoche

Hello,
    Thanks for the answer.
    So you have both of them in your future plans good to knows, thnx for your great work!
    Ok, f-secure think that feature about deep guard is not necessary I see, but it's not bad if you guys consider some thing for advanced users because they like to play with tools.

So macro files monitor by other shields. 
    Yes, this helped a lot thnx for your time.

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

You are right Betoche but this may mean more development costs imo

• betoche

Hey,
    2 months passed and there is no new releaseSmiley Sad
    Why you guys are so slow and walking like a turtle?lol
    Pls, new release...
    we want( I'm sure other wants that too) more changes and improvements.
    Many thanks.

• Ukko

@betoche wrote:

Hey,
    2 months passed and there is no new releaseSmiley Sad
    Why you guys are so slow and walking like a turtle?lol
    Pls, new release...
    we want( I'm sure other wants that too) more changes and improvements.
    Many thanks.

Hello,

You able to re-check this reply  where was explanation:

Our inactivity is due to summer vacation period. People are now slowly coming back and we start getting back to normal activity level, so please bear with us.

With another meanings -> it possible to think that FS Protection with fresh build each two weeks;

Time to time some of "releases" skipped. So, most likely current TP Release should be about 198 (or so); With skipped "five" (or so) TP releases;

Usually even "release is skipped" -> changes anyway can be added as part of "all time"; And probably "under development/checked" internally; Maybe it possible also "delays based on bugs/troubles.. which should be fixed before tp-release";

But I also want to see fresh TP build already (and maybe some coming changes?! and improvements) ! :) Good to get official response about "when"!

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.