Pre-Cautions To Take Before I Open FreedomE VPN?

Hopeful_Future
Hopeful_Future Posts: 67 Contributor
I'm sorry to be creating another thread, but I tried reading through the documentation on the F-Secure website and couldn't find an answer. Another reason I created this thread was because I thought other FreedomE VPN users would have the same problem so I thought a discussion about this problem would be helpful to others in the F-Secure community.

My question is this: 

I remember reading that before I turn on the FreedomE VPN app that it's  crucial to remember to turn off "internet apps" like Dropbox and Skype because my true IP can "leak out". Is there an automatic way for me to make sure these "internet apps" are turned off or is the best way for me to close each app manually by myself before I turn on the FreedomE VPN app? 

What are some other "pre-cautions" I ought to take before I turn on FreedomE VPN on my Windows 10 PC to maintain my anonymity and so that my real IP isn't exposed? 

Thank you!

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Hopeful_Future,

It is impossible to prevent a program from leaking the internal IP address, if the program has been designed to do so. It is not possible even in theory. Any program installed on a PC, Mac, Android and probably also iOS can obtain the internal IP address from the operating system, encrypt it and send it to wherever it would be sending it.

One way to work around the leaking would be to use private addresses in the home network by setting up a NAT on the home router. This way the programs still would be able to get the local IP address of the computer. But since it is a private IP address and not the one provided for example by the ISP, it is not routed on the Internet as it is used only in private networks. The device would not be able to get the real IP address from the router and leak that.

Web browsers should be configured to prevent them from leaking the internal IP address to any web site that happens to request it. Instructions can be found here: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Can-Freedome-block-WebRTC-IP/ta-p/77583.

• Hopeful_Future

Your help is appreciated!

Reading your reply has really made me feel nervous. I didn't know that apps are so easily able to leak my real IP address even if I'm running FreedomE VPN.

Would "Exiting" apps like Dropbox, Skype and Evernote 5minutes before I "Turn on" the FreedomE VPN app prevent them from leaking my real IP address?

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Hopeful_Future,

We really do not know how those apps work and what information they may submit to their servers and under what conditions.

• Hopeful_Future

Laksh, your reply is much appreciated!

This is still a problem I haven't been able to solve. 

Currently, it takes me a long time to prepare to start using FreedomE VPN as I need to manually "exit" my apps like Dropbox, Evernote and so on.

Is there a way I can do this faster? 

Thank you!

• Tioz01
    Tioz01 Posts: 8 Observer

I have my Freedome at home on autostart.

I can't be 100% sure but it seems that it starts really early. Way before my Steam Client, Chat Programms etc...

If the problematic programm have a windows service. Maybe try the delayed start option in the services dialog of windows.

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Posts: 4 New Member

Good question, I was thinking somethng similar. I would try auto-starting and auto-connecting Freedome at start. Also consider going into the Windows Task Manager and delaying the start-up of Dropbox, one drive and any other app you want to start after hopefully the VPN is connected.

• Hopeful_Future
    Thanks, but I thought it'd be dangerous to leave other apps like Steam, Evernote and Dropbox running while FreedomE VPN is running because these apps will know the IP that FreedomE VPN is giving you?
  • Hopeful_Future

I hope I'm not spamming but I'm still looking for a solution.

• Hopeful_Future
    I've been thinking about this a lot, but the answer continues to elude me.

Let's say I'm running the Evernote app on my PC and I start up the FreedomE app, will Evernote see that I've connected to Evernote with two different IP's and will Evernote know that these two IP's are connected and are actually the same user?
  • tasaista
    tasaista Posts: 14 New Member

I have no experience on Windows, but on a Mac leakage of the internal and true external IP happens all the time when Freedome is connecting. Would not use for sensitive stuff.

When I start my computer, wake from sleep or if connection needs to be established again it takes a while for the connection to establish. While this is happening all traffic is unprotected. This can be seen by running a simple ping command for example.

On iOS this seems to work much better. No traffic seems to flow while VPN connection is being established.

Is it better on Windows?

• Hopeful_Future

Wow, Tasaista, thanks for your reply! 

I've got an iPad, but I've never tried using the FreedomE VPN app on it.

What do you think of the iPad version of the FreedomE VPN app?

• Hopeful_Future

I'm still searching for an answer to this question.

Is it necessary for me to shut down my Internet connected apps like Evernote, Skype and Dropbox before I turn on the Freedome VPN app?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:

This has been a problem I've been trying to solve for a long time now so any ideas would be appreciated!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@Hopeful_Future wrote:

I'm still searching for an answer to this question.

Is it necessary for me to shut down my Internet connected apps like Evernote, Skype and Dropbox before I turn on the Freedome VPN app?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:

This has been a problem I've been trying to solve for a long time now so any ideas would be appreciated!

Hello,

Maybe not. But the answer should be based on certain meanings or requirements:

--> for example, Evernore / Skype / Dropbox are potentially unwanted or untrusted for you?

If so -> maybe possible do not use them at all.

--> Or did you mean that - such applications does not reconnected after established VPN connection? and some traffic will be not as part of VPN? Kind of leak something?

--> Or, for example, possible that some of this services with strict policy about your IP. And when there will be virtual IP -> may be some security alerts or even more 'blocks'. Or some other potential impact of their terms.

Maybe possible to explain potential concern more. Why do you think about this meanings? And what should be as expected result (such as ?! increase something or prevent something?!).

Sorry for my worst English! Smiley Sad

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info