How to get Freedome .apk without Amazon or PlayStore

Lava
Lava Posts: 9 Observer

Hi F-Secure Team,

I'm sorry, but I have to push this topic again:

Since we are talking about anonymity and security:

In my opinion it is outrageous that F-Secure does not offer a direct .apk download of the Freedome app for mobile devices. We're talking about security and anonymity and yet, you force users to use Google PlayStore or other portals which are really bad for anonymity.

Nothing makes less sense: Installing the Freedome app for "anonymity" while at the same time exploiting all smartphone data. That's ridiculous. And I don't understand that all companies on this little planet are subduing to the wishes of big G, A or M instead of standing on their own feet and regain power over their business.

The fact that F-Secure doesn't care for its most sensitized users is embarrassing and speaks for itself.

If you continue with this policy I will search for another VPN and security solution on my devices.

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Lava,

Thanks for highlighting your concern again. I will check with the Product team if there is any new update on this.

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Lava,

We are still holding with the same point in regards to the Freedome apk. The Freedome team confirmed that we don’t offer our .apk through other sources currently.

• Gunslinger
    Gunslinger Posts: 5 New Member

If anonymity is your concern, this is not the service for you. One look at their privacy policy tells me that between, metadata storage, analytics, security cloud, and the optional traffic mapper, its quite clear that theyre analyzing all of your traffic. They store your IP & timestamp as well. 

Thats not the mark of an anonymous VPN. There are far better providers out there for anonymity. The only thing F-Secure has going for them is that they dont leak nearly as much info on Android devices as most VPN clients do. Thats really it. 

• Lava
    Lava Posts: 9 Observer

Hi Gunslinger,

I understand and also share your concerns.

However, my  goal with Freedome is to be anonymous in the internet and hide from companies who want to track an analyze me (including my provider). So we're speaking of different levels of anonymity.

I've read the privacy policy from F-Secure and it's ok for me. Of course, I know that I'm not completely anonymous (I don't need that anyway). But, I trust F-Secure more than the rest of the internet. In the end, if F-Secure is doing bad things with our data their whole credibility would be gone. I don't think that F-Secure is going to risk their only business model. As always, we have to be vigilant whom and to what extent we trust someone. F-Secure is no exception.

Anyway, not providing the .apk via a secure channel (simply from their own website) still  is an initial flaw of the Freedome software. I suspect Google is using adhesion contracts forcing other companies not to offer their own .apk download possiblity if the app is hosted on GooglePlay.

At the moment, best way to get the Freedome app is via Amazon App-Shop (not the Underground App). The Amazon App-Shop app doesn't ask for many data (surprisingly).

• All this talk about privacy, tracking etc.. then force us to have a Google account and use Play Store to get the app really doesn't make sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info