Inconsistent results with F-Secure for Mac

Hi all, first post here.

I'm a happy Freedome user on my Macs and Android devices and I trust in F-Secure's expertise, that's why I'm a little bit shocked after learning that the Mac version of the antivirus solution doesn't detect a PUA (potentially unwanted application) widely known for deploying crapware; I'm talking of the (in)famous uTorrent client.

As you can see in the screenshot shown below the malware shipped with uTorrent is correctly detected on-the-fly just after the DMG container is opened effectively blocking the payload:

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 1.34.44 PM.pngMalware/infection detected by Avast

Now, that's performing a local scan.

Virustotal.com shows similar results:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.49.36 PM.pngMalware/infection detected by Virustotal

As you can see here F-Secure correctly detects the payload shipped with uTorrent, which is not the case with the desktop application!

I remember that some years ago (a few, actually) F-Secure used to employ a 'hybrid' system of malware scanner using an in-house scanner coupled with Kapersky's engine; I'm not sure what is the case nowadays though. 

I would like to learn from someone of the F-Secure Antivirus team why the discrepancy as before finding this issue(?) I was ready to cash-out and buy the solution.

Best regards.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi i90rr,

Welcome to our Community! Regarding your post, I am checking with the team about the detection. I will keep you posted once I get a response.

• [Deleted User]

Hi i90rr,

The FSAV for Mac team looked into this issue. The uTorrent sample detection has now been added to ORSP and should  be detected by SAFE for Mac.

• i90rr
    i90rr Posts: 5 New Member

Hi Laksh,

Thanks! I'm seeing the same behavior with Vuze and Leap (https://www.vuze.com), could you please look at it?

• [Deleted User]

I have highlighted it to the Product team for further action. If there is any update from the team, I will keep you posted. Thanks for sharing, @i90rr!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info