Considering giving up on F-Secure products due to critical usabilty issues
F-Secure is perhaps the best AV solution in the world but it has certain problems I just cannot cope with:
1) During each updates F-Secure overwrite pretty much all the files under
C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure\SAFE\apps\ComputerSecurity\Anti-Virus\aquarius\core
I believe this process could be improved and streamlined so that only few files have to be updated like all other sane AV solutions do.
2) F-Secure programmers have never heard of preallocating files so each update creates over five hundred highly fragmented files. This could be easily solved by using
SetFilePointerEx() followed by SetEndOfFile()
before writing files to the disk but perhaps it's black magic to them.
3) The F-Secure system tray icon doesn't have an option to stop AV. See item 4 why it's needed.
4) The F-Secure AV engine has the highest false detection rate in the industry. It's simply annoying that for each release I have to send your dozens of clean files which you deem "infected".
5) Do not change system settings beyond my back: I did not ask you to reenable Automatic Updates on my system. Considering that Microsoft cannot quite make Windows Updates work reliably you just make people's lives harder. If you want to help unsavvy people who got infected and viruses disabled WU for them feel better, just ask this question and offer a choice, "We have detected that the WU service is disabled on your system. We consider this a threat to your security. Would you like to reenable this service? Yes or No/Cancel". Perhaps you also reenabled System Restore checkpoints but I don't remember now. This also must be asked.
6) What about e-mail support? I see chat which is always unavailable, phone which I guess is only useful for emergencies and forums which are not what I'd call "official".
Artem S. Tashkinov