F-Secure & Windows 10 VPN Settings

Roscoe
Roscoe Posts: 11 New Member

Can you tell me what information should be used in windows 10 vpn setup for F-Secure?

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Roscoe,

Could you please elaborate on your question so that we can assist you further? Have you installed Freedome in your Windows 10 computer? You may find more information about the product in here.

• Roscoe

Windows 10

This is the questions asked by VPN setup under 'Settings', 'VPN', 'add VPN':

VPN Provider (only option seems to be windows (built-in))

Connection Name:

Server name or address

VPN Type: Auotmatic

Point To Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)

L2TP/IPsec with certificate

L2TP/IPsec with pre-sdhared key

Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP)

IKEv2

Type of sign-in info: user name and password

Smart card

One-time password

Certificate 

User Name: (optional)

Password: (optional)

• Roscoe
    Below is how to get into Windows 10 VPN setup. See the picture immediately after number 8. What are the answers to those questions.

Setting up a VPN connection with Windows 10 requires you having the proper credentials to access a server. Be sure you have these before you continue. You may have to coordinate with your system administrator.

Once you have all the required information, here is how you can set up a VPN connection in your Windows 10 computer:

1. Log on to your Windows 10 PC with an administrator account.
    2. Once on the desktop window, click the Start button from the bottom-left corner of the screen.
    3. From the left section of the displayed Start menu, under the Places section, click Settings.
    4. On the open Settings window, click the Network & Internet icon.
    5. From the left pane of the open Network & Internet window, click to select the VPN category.
    6. From the right pane, click the + icon representing the Add a VPN connection option.
    7. On the Add a VPN connection box, populate the fields with the correct values.
    8. Make sure that the Remember my sign-in info checkbox at the bottom is checked, and click Save.

Note: You may not want to save the sign-in info on public computers such as those in Internet cafes, or libraries. Do NOT check the Remember my sign-in info when using such computers.
    9. Once the new VPN connection is successfully created, back on the Network & Internet window, keeping the VPN category selected from the left pane, click to select the newly created VPN connection from the right.
    10. Once selected, from the available buttons, you can either click Connect or Forget to connect to the VPN server using the provided details and credentials, or to remove the created connection respectively. Optionally, if needed, you can also click the Properties button to make changes to the created VPN connection.
    11. Optionally, you can click the Advanced settings option under the Additional settings section on the same window to manage other VPN connection related configurations such as proxy settings, automatic detection, etc.
    12. After closing all the windows, you can still easily connect to the VPN server by clicking the Network icon from system tray at the bottom-right corner of the window, and clicking the Show available connections under the Additional settings section of the Wi-Fi or Ethernet category of the opened Network & Internet window.

• Note: Make sure you pick the correct category (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) while connecting to the VPN server. That is, you can connect to the VPN server only using the network card that is responsible for connecting the Windows 10 PC to the Internet.
      Note: You can also follow the path described in step 12 to create a new VPN connection. The path followed in steps 2 to 5 is explained for detailed information purposes.
  • Laksh

Hi Roscoe,

As per your points above, it is seen that you are trying to configure VPN client using PC settings (VPN Provider is seen as Microsoft and not F-Secure). Freedome does not need ant configuration to be done in Windows 10 as seen here. You can check the information from the links I shared above about Freedome. You just have to download and install the Freedome application and start your VPN connection.

• Roscoe

I tried as written her and thid did not work. It seems not to be able to reach the Server name you supplied me with. My setup looks like the below:

Connecvtion name: test

Server name or address: 124.158.45.54

type of sign-in info: user name and password

user name: my freedom email address

password: my freedom password

What am I not doing?

• Roscoe

2 of 2:

I fotgot to add. The message I am getting is:

The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/Ipsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured property.

What tunnel should be used?

I left this option on: Automatic

• Roscoe

This has been marked as 'resolved'. It is not resolved. I have commented here. I already have installed Freedome and a subscription. My problem is setting up the VPN thru windows 10. I know I do not have to. This is the way I would like to do this. 

Windows 10

This is the questions asked by VPN setup under 'Settings', 'VPN', 'add VPN':

VPN Provider (only option seems to be windows (built-in))

Connection Name:

Server name or address

VPN Type: Auotmatic

Point To Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)

L2TP/IPsec with certificate

L2TP/IPsec with pre-sdhared key

Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP)

IKEv2

Type of sign-in info: user name and password

Smart card

One-time password

Certificate 

User Name: (optional)

Password: (optional)

I tried the below and it did not work. It seems not to be able to reach the Server name supplied to me by freeedome support. My setup looks like the below:

Connection name: test

Server name or address: 124.158.45.54

type of sign-in info: user name and password

user name: my freedom email address

password: my freedom password

What am I not doing?

The message I am getting is:

The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachable. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/Ipsec tunnel, the security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured property.

What tunnel should be used?

I left this option on: Automatic

What should I do next?

• Roscoe

I am not sure, but the address I am looking for may look something like this: ems05.your-freedom.de

• Laksh

Hi Roscoe,

Based on your last comment which mentions 'your-freedom.de', this seems to be a different product than 'F-Secure Freedome'. If the product you are referring to here is 'Your-Freedom'; then, it is not from F-Secure.

With F-Secure Freedome, you don’t need to worry about those manual configurations as our product is designed to be simple and easy to use. It will do all the configurations necessary automatically for you.

• GrumpyBear
    GrumpyBear Posts: 1 New Member

Do you have F-secure client security running? By default this will block your VPN connection. You need to add a rule in your F-secure settings that will allow the VPN tunnel to be set up.

So in F-secure go to Network connections - Firewall - Rules - Add.

There you should follow some simple straight forward steps.

In the service tab you need to add a GRE-tunnel and specify it to be open in both directions.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info