Deepguard blocks games silently without whitelist option

I've been using f-secure for years, never had this happen. I play games through Steam and lately it keeps giving me error 51, which means something killed the game .exe other than Steam. After a bit of experimentation I found that it's deepguard doing the blocking, turning on compatibility mode or disabling it allows games to run normally. But when I went to look in the list of monitored applications there was nothing and I can't whitelist programs that aren't in that list. That to me looks like some kind of bug.

I'm on windows 10 with the anniversary update. Affected games so far for me are Grim Dawn and Starpoint Gemini Warlords. Very different games which makes me think it's something that both games share that causes deepguard to act.

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

This is just a suggestion, as I'm not a gamer so I have no experience of this, but is there any difference when you use Gaming Mode in F-Secure?  You can access this from the system tray icon.

Unfortunately, you can't 'whitelist' applications through DeepGuard, unless it blocks them or asks for a decision.  That's a feature, not a bug.  Smiley Wink  Possibly submitting the games' .exe files to the labs for analysis might be of some benefit?

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Maybe there is not really "silently blocking"

Spoiler

I think that main trouble can be: "protection" under the games. Or like "steam"-design for protect this games (like against cheats/other).

And if it like that... basically DeepGuard do not block game (silently).

Just because DeepGuard (like HIPS-protection also) can to use hooks (for process).... so game at execute-action can to think that there is "modifications" and launch is broken.

Usually there is tips for use "compatibility mode" (which work in your situation also).
    Maybe you also can to re-check about just "exclude"-list of real-time scanning (for some of designs.... this exclude-action valid for DeepGuard too). And to add there main .exe file of game.

But anyway.. probably most helpful step also is Support Ticket or just F-Secure SAS (for their re-check situation about).

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info