Autokms

Hi

MS antivirus detected a malware called AUTOKMS that F-Secure didnt detected! Why not?

It krasched my Win 10 and created problems for me. Why?

Lars

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Based on Microsoft page:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=HackTool:Win32/AutoKMS

quote:

----

""It can be used to "crack" or patch unregistered copies of Microsoft software""

----

And as potentially point that crack (probably can be for another software too) can be with malicious payload.

Anyway... F-Secure time to time can be "not aggresive" about crackers/patchers/hacktools (mainly about situation.. when this is do not comes with malicious payload). Because partly this is "safe".

In your situation I can to feel about some of steps (if detected file known for you and you able to understand how it get to your system):

--> Transfer this file for F-Secure SAS:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample

For proper understanding.. why there is missing detection.

--> Re-check points under F-Secure installation.

If there something as F-Secure SAFE/F-Secure Internet-Security:

Can be helpful: open Main UI of F-Secure, choose "Settings" under main UI;

There should be settings for "Manual Scanning" - where you able to re-check settings about "scan compressed files" and "advanced scan" (to "check"-status); and optionally "uncheck" option "scan just known types".

And re-run full scan (by Main UI -- Tools-tab -- Choose Scan settings --> Full Scan) or just re-scan this file (maybe F-Secure will detect this... with "advanced scan" settings, which usually can to increase f/p detections).

Sorry for my reply. 

• Ingenjorn
    Ingenjorn Posts: 2 New Member

Strange.  All Microsoft is legal even outlook 2016 that I bought recently. All these programs was gone and has to be downloaded from Ms. 

My f-secure safe doesn't have the feasibility that you mentioned above.

BR 

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

How I can to understand this detection can be for crack/patch/hacktool to another software too (if for crack/patch something at all).

But also when you mean MS AV... does there Windows Defender? And if yes (or not) - how detection (prompt?) comes for you? And also if there is possible.. maybe you able to open Microsoft AV UI and settings about Quarantine (to re-check... if there will be information, which file is "removed/detected").

And maybe this is "valid" or know application for you (which can be installed randomly or like "payload" with another software... something like adware; or something else)? And will be more visible.. about something else (but anyway... maybe this information can be more helpful for F-Secure Support - if there should be detection, but did not come; Or just for F-Secure SAS... where they able to do analysis for this file).

Also basically.. if F-Secure SAFE work together with Microsoft AV at real-time scanning (protection).. there is can be some potential mistake between them.

Sorry for my reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info