BSOD after installing newer version of F-Secure Safe in windows 10 education laptop

Hi there,

I have F-Secure Safe installed in my laptop which is a Windows 10 Education system. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P50-B-10V model with Intel i7-4710HQ processor, 16 GB or RAM and 1TB Hard Disk.

F-Secure safe used to work without problems previously but the last upgrade that was offered causes BSOD with complaints about fsni64.sys. I went to safe mode to uninstall F-Secure Safe and then retried again to install it but I had again the same problem. So now I have completely uninstalled F-Secure safe and installed instead a free antivirus and the laptop works fine. Can you tell me what is the problem or alternatively can you provide a link to an older version of F-Secure to install, because as I said it used to work fine prior to the last upgrade?

Best regards

George

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I'm not really an expert on this sort of thing, but when you uninstalled FS, did you run the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool ?  if not, it may be worth a try, then reinstall from scratch. 

If the problem persists, I would suggest raising a Support Ticket attaching the file from the Support Tool so that the tech guys can have a look at what's going on.

• georgek
    georgek Posts: 7 Observer

Hi Simon,

Yes I have used the F-Secure Uninstallation tool to uninstall F-Secure Safe completely. Then I tried to install it again but I had the same problem.

Thanks

G.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    I think this is one for F-Secure to answer. You might like to have a look here for a bit more info, but I wouldn't recommend downloading any of the supposed "fixes" until you've had a response from FS, or at least someone more technical than me.

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/bsod-blue-screen-error/sys/windows/f-secure-corporation/f-secure-network-interceptor-driver-64bit/fsni64-sys/
  • georgek

Hi Simon

I will wait for some expert opinion before trying anything out.

Best

G.

• Jonilj
    Jonilj Posts: 2 New Member

I would also be interested in any fixes for this issue. Recently (late april) had a computer crash, then again mid-may. When checking the minidump files it blamed fsni64.sys, so we reinstalled F-Secure completely on the computer (much the same was as georgek) but yesterday the computer crashed twice again with the minidump files again blaming fsni64.sys.

I've also opened a case with Microsoft for this issue, but in our case it only happens on one computer out of several running the same version of F-Secure.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello, 

if you are facing this issue, please open a support ticket as advised by Simon. Make sure to include an fsdiag.

• georgek

This is my case too. Just on one computer out of three has this issue. I contacted the F-Secure experts for help, however they require remote access on my laptop and/or live discussions. I was hoping for something quicker since I don't have the time for this right now. If you find a solution please let me know. My OS as I mentioned is Windows Education 10. My other F-Secure systems that don't have problems are Windows 10 as well but not Education. What is the version of your OS?

Thanks

George

• Jonilj
    Jonilj Posts: 2 New Member

I actually put up a case with the F-Secure support who gave me a .zip file containing FSNI32.sys and FSNI64.sys files to replace the older ones. I'm not sure if this is specific to Windows 7 however. I'm guessing that if they have requested to remote to your affected computer they suspect your issue is somewhat different from the one I had.

Here was the answer I got:

"With regards to your inquiry, kindly be informed that we are aware of the issue caused by the "fsni" file. However, we have released the fix for it and based on the logs it seems that it was not able to install the fix:

[ 2448]Mon May 09 15:49:18 2016(3):  Installation of 'F-Secure Network Interception Framework Update 2016-05-09_01' : Failed

Kindly download the fixed binary from the link below and replace it on the affected workstation to resolve the issue:

Thank you. "

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info