FS Protection PC Release 164

This release contains following applications that combined make the FS Protection PC product:

• Common Component Framework 2.64.255
  • Antivirus 14.164.100
  • Browsing protection 2.164 build 4099

Fixed issues

Common:

• Upgrade message text and layout improvements (CTS-97693)
  • System tray icon has lost transparency (CTS-97690)
  • Fixed minor memory and handle leaks (CTS-97667, CTS-97665)
  • User interface scheduled task not properly cleaned up in uninstall (CTS-97656)

Antivirus:

• "Application blocked" prompt action choices changed for improved consistency (CTS-97607, CTS-97618)

Browsing Protection:

• Improved block page category icon list (CTS-97654, CTS-97679)
  • Improved banking flyer usability (CTS-97695)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Comments

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

thanks for your infos, always like to see some polishes coming... are we nearing rtm ?

Hi,

We are indeed close to RTM. There should be at least one more beta release with this version. When we have released to production and start working on new features, you will see the version number change in about box (currently 16.3).

(F-Secure R&D)

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

that's the feeling I had, glad you confirm

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager
    Thanks!

Another seamlesss upgrade.
  • Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Gosh, this upgrade was a bit like pulling teeth.  My laptop virtually ground to a halt while the upgrade was taking place, with no announcement or prompt, so I didn't know if it was Windows Updates or F-Secure which was causing the slowdown.  FS then announced that a reboot was required, which wasn't convenient at the time, as I was in the middle of trying to do something, so I clicked the Postpone button.  A minute or two later, I received the 'Turn on your anti virus' flag from Windows, followed by F-Secure's 'Protection Malfunction' flyer, once again demanding a reboot.  So, it seems it went into a sulk because I didn't reboot immediately after the upgrade.

@Ville - I'm guessing this is simply due to this being a major upgrade, as these have not requested a reboot for some time.  Do you want a bug report?

• Simon

Well, I don't seem to be having much luck with this.  Although my Windows 7 machine is showing that it has the current builds for Anti Vurus and Browsing Protection, the CCF has not updated, so it is still showing as being on release 16.3.  I haven't got any more time to fiddle around with it tonight, so will send in a bug report and await feedback.

@Simon

We upgraded some components that are rarely upgraded, so that may be the cause for reboot requirement, but it still should not happen. Good that you made a bug report about it. We saw a few cases where reboot was required but mostly it upgraded without reboot being needed.

Both TP163 and TP164 are major version 16.3, you need to see the next line (Common Component Framework version) to see if TP upgraded properly. It should say 2.64.255 to TP164.

Also very nice to see feedback about how you experience the upgrade. Now that we stopped asking permission for upgrade there will clearly be some scenarios that we need to improve to make it smoother for users.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Simon
    @Ville- I should have clarified, the reboot was required on my Windows 10 machine, to which my first post referred. I've not yet done a bug report for that, so will do so and send it in.

The Windows 7 machine has not prompted for A reboot, but it is that machine which CCF doesn't seem to have upgraded on, and I have sent in a bug report for that one.
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my ask.

--> Does this possible that latest updates for databases was: F-Secure DeepGuard Update 2016-05-11_01

And for modules (around scanning): F-Secure Hydra Update 2016-05-11_02 / F-Secure Aquarius Update 2016-05-11_05

This is latest updates for my system. But I think that possible there should be some of other (fresh) updates (not a weekend). And under stable dbtracker.. there indeed have current-day updates.

--> About Upgrade (with missing prompt) - with my experience fshoster  (based on tray picture?!) was reloaded (so.. as result UI should be closed automatically).

How it will be about potential situations... if there will be "scanning" during upgrade?

Will be not triggered (because check the scan or other load for system)? Or Scan Wizard will be closed with reload fshoster (?! or something else).

And can be troubles if upgrade comes, when browser is opened?

Thanks.

Hi @Ukko

The upgrade currently will start without checking anything so it will disrupt the scanning. This is something we need to evaluate.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Simon

Just to confirm, my Windows 7 machine does seem to have upgraded properly.  I may have been looking at the wrong thing last night, but I now have:

fs protection 16.3

Common Component Framework 2.64 build 255

CCF CUIF 10.07 build 123
    CCF DAAS2 1.10 build 646
    CCF Guts2 2.03 build 173
    CCF Upstream 2.02 build 596
    CCF Diagnostics 9.05 build 167
    CCF Scanning 1.73 build 209.934
    CCF Network 1.04 build 213
    CCF Reputation 2.1 build 1341

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager

Actually, there seems to be a little problem in numbering?

When I got notification, it stated that upgrade was version 163. When clicking on "Details", it says:

"What's new in fs protection release 164".

Open program - click on ? and select about, it shows:

fs protection 16.3

Antivirus 14.164 build 100

DeepGuard 5.0 build 592
    E-mail Filtering 1.02 build 22187
    Management Agent 8.30 build 43247
    User Interface 18.00 build 576
    Virus Protection 11.00 build 22180

Right click on tray icon - About shows

Common Component Framework 2.64 build 255

CCF CUIF 10.07 build 123
    CCF DAAS2 1.10 build 646
    CCF Guts2 2.03 build 173
    CCF Upstream 2.02 build 596
    CCF Diagnostics 9.05 build 167
    CCF Scanning 1.73 build 209.934
    CCF Network 1.04 build 213
    CCF Reputation 2.1 build 1341
  • Ukko

Hello,

I think maybe there can be troubles just with current TP (because "TP" and "FS Protection in global meanings" comes around same view).

With my experience upgrade prompt-notification was about "normal" version "16.3" (FS Protection as F-Secure SAFE or F-Secure IS).

And current TP Release called as "164" (some kind of how many TPs was already released).

TP release 164 include modules, which can be (some of TPs comes with upgrade just with some of modules and not for all) with same version. For current one:

- Common Component Framework 2.64.255 (with modules under/based on CCF)

- Antivirus 14.164.100  (with modules under/based on AV)

- Browsing protection 2.164 build 4099 (with modules under/based on BP).

All this (as TP Release with number 164) comes under FS Protection 16.3 ;

Stable version of F-Secure SAFE probably have version 16.2;

Potentially... with TP Release 167 (for example) - FS Protection start be 16.4 (or will be stay with 16.3);   and F-Secure SAFE get 16.3 (as already stable version).

Sorry for my reply. And if your words about something else.

I just think that potentially.... notification about upgrade should be about version "16.3" as FS Protection (and not about 163 as TP-release)?

Also maybe good to get normal response from F-Secure.

It's exactly like @Ukko said.

TP release numbers are artificial and not really supported by the product - product uses production release numbers that change ~3 times a year. Only the upgrade message can show the TP release number. The product version and TP release number are completely unrelated, even though they looked very similar in last TP.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Ukko

Hello,

Not sure about reasons or situation, but can be something of next:

--> Browsing Protection statistics about visited pages (daily) and other (blocked pages) can be ?! with missing (?) information, outdated or not real-time updated information (?) or something like that (https?! not goes to be under numbers).

Latest days I time to time found that there probably information with mistakes. But after re-check... it goes be around "normal" one (like... if I open and see statistics... was with mistakes. but re-check after time - all nice or start be nice from previous check).

--> Today I did clean installation. And visited certainly more than "0" pages (interesting that... visited current number of pages, but anyway blocked one ?! by content blocker information).

I goes to re-check and certainly visit some pages. Goes back to statistics... and yes... some more pages.

And there start be ?!?! point. After installation - I re-checked that browsing protection features work (include blocking pages). When I goes to re-check it .... this is not work ?!.... in somewhat reasons (between tries - was two or three restarts of system.. and two hours).

Thanks and sorry for reply.

This discussion has been closed.