Automatic password entry of single characters

mash
mash Posts: 20 New Member

Many financial websites require random characters from your password to be entered. Can we have an upgrade to F-Secure Key to facilitate automatic entry of single characters e.g. Ctrl+2 for 2nd character, Ctrl+b for 11th character etc. while selecting from the drop down list of password entries. This suggested method is for a desktop client, not sure how this could be implemented on a tablet with the F-Secure Key virtual keyboard.

Comments

• Bayani
    Bayani Posts: 58 Enthusiast

Hi mash,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have forwarded your request to our technicians so we can consider to implement this in the future.

• JuhaT
    JuhaT Posts: 55 Former F-Secure Employee

Could you point few example sites? We have reviewed quite a few sites when developing the autofill functionality, but havent run across such verification system you describe here.

OTOH it also raises the security concern over how does such website requesting single random characters from users' password store all passwords to begin with...

• mash

@JuhaT wrote:

Could you point few example sites?

JuhaT,  examples sent to you via PM

• JuhaT
    JuhaT Posts: 55 Former F-Secure Employee

Let me walk this through to check if I understood this correct. Let's say you are asked to enter 2nd and 9th characters in two separate input fields. In order to do that, the entire flow would be:

1. Focus on the first field
    2. Open drop down and search for the entry wanting to use, but don't yet click it with mouse
    3. Press and hold Ctrl+2, then click the entry in the dropdown menu
    4. 2nd character of the password is filled to the input field
    5. Focus on the second field and proceed as in step 2, but use Ctrl+9 instead

Was this what you meant?

BR;

Juha

• mash

@JuhaT wrote:

Was this what you meant?

That's exactly what I meant.

regards,

mash

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

@mash 

Hi!  Just wanted to let you know that I've moved this thread into the Feature Request board, so that the developers can more easily follow-up on possible implementation of your idea Smiley Wink

• [Deleted User]
  • mash

I see that the new version has password characters numbered.  Is there a keyboard shortcut  to select specific password characters as per my original request in this thread.

regards,

mash

• [Deleted User]

Hello Mash,

There is no keyboard shortcut in the newly released version.

However you can see a number for each password symbol, so if your bank requires e.g. 3rd char form password itself, this is now visible..