VPN Not starting -Receiving Error saying something went wrong

Mike242
Mike242 Posts: 4 New Member

I was recently using this service with 77 days remaining on my free subscription. I noticed that it wasnt blocking any new tracking attempts while visiting websites.  I downloaded the newest version and now the VPN wont turn on and I keep getting an error - something went wrong icon.  I have since reinstalled the software directly from the website and lost my previous days remaining which was replaced with the free 14 day trial.  However, I'm still unable to turn on the VPN.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, i really enjoy using this product and would hate for it to not work any longer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Mike242,

May I know what is the OS of your computer in which you have the Freedome installed? Could you please post a screenshot of the error message as well?

Does it happen for particular locations or for all the location?

• Mike242

Hello and thanks for the help,

My operating system is Windows 10 - 64 bit.  Here's the error that keeps happening.

Error Capture.PNG

• Serb
    Serb Posts: 1

Hello! 

Have the same issue. Parameters r the same. 

Is anyone can help? 

Cheers! 

• toz2005
    toz2005 Posts: 4 New Member

My is the same. Freedome is not working. It won't even try and connect. It comes up with a message "something  went wrong, we're sorry". I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but still nothing. Also, when I reinstalled it, the days active reset to 365. It seems to me when I got an update the other day, it stopped working. Also, when It is fixed, how do I get a refund for the days I havent been able to use it? 

• toz2005

Mine is Windows 10. It wont connect to any location. 

• Xtremed
    Xtremed Posts: 10 Enthusiast

Same happens to me... so its a generalized problem, and it gives the impression they don't know about it.. the forum is full of the same report.

Let's hope they can give at least an estimate on when its going to get fixed.

• toz2005

Freedome is not working. It won't even try and connect. It comes up with a message "something  went wrong, we're sorry". I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but still nothing. Also, when I reinstalled it, the days active reset to 365. It seems to me when I got an update the other day, it stopped working. Also, when It is fixed, how do I get a refund for the days I havent been able to use it? 

It is windows 10 os. 

• Laksh

Hi @toz2005,

I have merged your open post with this post as I saw your message earlier on this same thread. We are currently checking on the issue with the logs.

We will update everyone once we have a status on the issue.

• Xtremed
    Xtremed Posts: 10 Enthusiast

Greetings!

No information about the problem yet? i noticed that this post https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure/Windows-10-problem/td-p/74476 im having the same issue, so maybe everybody is having the same issue that the driver just went away after upgrading to the last version of Freedome.

It seems it doesn't happen if you downgrade, but there is no access to the previous version anywhere, its been almost two weeks since the problem started, two weeks of subscription that nobody is covering... 

By any chance can you provide a link with the previous version that use to work?
    Thanks in advance, and i hope that we can hear some news about a fix.

• Hi,

I asked for refund..F-secure is not reliable on Windows..try Spotflux

• Laksh

Hello Everyone,

We have inspected several cases where Freedome has been unable to make VPN connections after Windows 10 upgrades. The symptom has been an error message saying only "Something went wrong. We're sorry." when Freedome has tried to make a new VPN connection. The problem has appeared right after the operating system has been upgraded to Windows 10. We are aware of at least one case where the problem was fixed after Windows 10 was reinstalled on the computer.

Based on our inspections it seems that the operating system has been in a similarly problematic state in each of these cases. While we haven't been able to reproduce this situation in our test environment, our best estimate is that something has gone wrong in the Windows 10 upgrade and has caused these problems.

From the error messages in the Windows log files it is apparent that also other applications have various technical problems on these affected computers. These error messages can be seen using Windows Event Viewer. You can open Windows Event Viewer by clicking the search icon on Windows 10 Task Bar and typing "Event Viewer" there. The logs reside under the "Windows Logs" entry.

We currently recommend to reinstall Windows 10 on the affected computer. However, we are still inspecting if there would be any alternative ways to get Freedome to work in this kind of situations.

• toz2005

Well mine was working fine with windows 10 until you updated freedome and then it stopped working. All my other apps work fine. 

• Billynoleg
    Billynoleg Posts: 1 New Member

Great fix.  Mine was also working fine on Windows 10 until recently.  So F-secure say re-install Windows 10, that will fix the problem.

F-secure solution, "Re-install your operating system".  Not even mentioning the time and effort involved to do that along with a host of other problems that may cause, especially to people who are not to computer literate, don't you think re-installing the operating system is extreme? 

So it seems f-secure customers have options:

1 - Re-install the operating system, hoping nothing else will go wrong and f-secure Freedome will work and not go faulty again if it does.  Cross your fingers.

2 - Not use F-secure Freedome but use a VPN that actually works.

Hmm, I wonder which one to choose?  I'm glad I was only using the free trial, I feel sorry for the customers who have paid and they should be given an immediate and FULL refund.  F-Secure should also make sure Windows 10 users know BEFORE buying and installing that it is likely it won't work on Windows 10.

• Mike242

Thanks for the reply but I guess I'll weigh in since I started this thread.  As said before, this isnt really a fix.  Windows 10 on my machine is running just fine with everything else.  With that said, i won't be reinstalling windows 10 but removing the product from my windows machine until its been corrected. Good luck and I hope you guys figure it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info