I cannot update to the latest version of F-Secure Freedome on my Windows 7 64-bit PC.

infosec
infosec Posts: 7 New Member

I am using F-Secure Freedome on my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit PC. All Microsoft updates are up-to-date.

I am unable to update to the latest version. Having the latest version installed is important, as it likely includes security updates (since it contains OpenVpn + Libraries that are being updated due to vulnerabilities). The featurew enhancements are important as well.

Urgency: Moderate

Problem: If I uninstall Freedome, it will remove/revoke the license I have (it was a code that provided a year free 1 year license I believe.

Installed Version: F-Secure Freedome v 1.0.1145.0
Latest Version: 1.0.1517.0

Other security products installed: ESET Smart Security 8, HitmanPro.Alert v 3.0.41 build 187

Please help me out here!

Are Private Messages available/allowable to F-Secure employees on this support community?

Thank You to everyone!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello infosec,

What is the error your receive when trying to update Freedome on your current version?

Could you provide a screenshot of it?

Private messages are not an official mean of support and will be send to you by F-Secure employees if necessary. They are not fully reliable as a person might not read them for extended perirods of time. So please do not try to iniate a private message conversation.

• infosec

There is no error message presented, it just no longer prompts for an update (and I double checked the version installed in the Control Panel). Initially, it prompted me with the usual "An update for Freedome is Available. Would you like to install it?" I choose remind me later. That was about 2-3. weeks ago. I have looked in Services.msc, msconfig, and the Program files diretory to manually force it to update to no avail. Freedome does automatically load in the notification area (near clock) and starts  whenever the PC is booted (I have it set not to automatically connect, but Start when windows starts. I can connect via the VPN feature (Protection On) fine. I tried to reproduce the issue on a VM, and was easily able to update successfully, but it produced some error in the cmd prompt during the update, the cmd prompt was only displayed for 2 seconds during the update, so it was impossible to read. The problem is on the Host machine (Platform listed in the original post).

Some background: I am about to graduate with an Info. Sys degree, so you can provide advanced info/instructions if necessary.

My main concerns are:

1) Losing the license/code

2) Stable and reliable functioning and configuration of the product.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hello infosec,

Could you try to run directly the latest installer on your existing installation?

• infosec

Essentially, you mean download the latest installer and "Install it over the current installation? -not uninstalling the current install?

• infosec

I uninstalled the latest version "on top of" the installed version. It updated and the version # is now 1.0.1517.0.

Right after my initial post last night I submitted a support ticket that contained the fsdiag.7z report. No response. Been about 18 or so hours. In the US here.

I do encounter error messages in the Event Viewer (Windows)

Source: Service Control Manager:

The F-Secure Freedome Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info